Favorable view of deer hunting....

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Everyday Hunter

Favorable view of deer hunting....

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:37 am

Interesting article (with a good video) from the New York Times of all places:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/dinin ... gewanted=1

Who woulda thunk it?

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

SwampLife

RE: Favorable view of deer hunting....

Postby SwampLife » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:17 am

pretty cool
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:00 am

Excellent !
Semper Fi !

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:14 am

That was an awesome article that was done in great taste, no pun intended, this is just what the hunting community needed to bring to light what we have all known all along. Plus it was in the NY Times of all papers!
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:46 am

Great story.

Love this guy's comment,

[blockquote][align=left]For Ted Peters, 77, hunting seemed like a natural solution to an overabundant deer population, which had begun to impede another local food pursuit.  "They eat my garden, so I thought maybe I should eat them," he said.[/align][/blockquote]Now if they can just find places to hunt.
[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:29 am

I got a good laugh from that line too, but it makes perfect sense.
Awesome article, especially in that publication!

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:32 am

Very cool article! If we had more of this caliber news and media shinning light on what we as hunters already know and preach in such a positive way, there is no telling how many eyes it would open. Not only this aspect of it. Have any of you ever been walking in some remote area and come upon a sight that just takes your breath? Then sat and thought for awhile about how sorry you were for most who never get to see something so truly astonishing? I feel truly blessed that I have been able to see some of the things I have while hunting. Memories that are all mine and mine alone.

14milecreekbucks

Postby 14milecreekbucks » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:25 pm

It's great to see a favorable view about hunting getting press in the national media, maybe now some of those city slickers will figure out that hunting just isn't a sport to use but a way of life.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:28 pm

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

Great story.

Love this guy's comment,

[blockquote][align=left]For Ted Peters, 77, hunting seemed like a natural solution to an overabundant deer population, which had begun to impede another [color="#004276"]local food[/color] pursuit.  "They eat my garden, so I thought maybe I should eat them," he said.[/align][/blockquote]Now if they can just find places to hunt.
[align=left] [/align][align=left] [/align]

That was good I also like this lady's comment.

For Nina Burke, 50, a systems administrator, who made the two-hour       drive from Fredericksburg, Va., to Charlottesville to attend Mr. Landers's classes, it was about the flavor.
"I really like venison," she said, explaining she'd often exchanged baked goods for the fine-grained low-fat meat.
"This class was the chance of a lifetime," she said. "I always thought that the only way I would get a deer was with my car."

paulie

Postby paulie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:17 pm

It is nice to see a story like this in the "main stream media"! I'm a bit surprised by it, but glad to see it !! Thanks for sharing Steve!!

Next

Return to Breaking News