Alleged Poaching Ring Busted in Michigan

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
bowman12

RE: Alleged Poaching Ring Busted in Michigan

Postby bowman12 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:12 am

I'm glad you guys came on here and filled us all in some. It's amazing to see such a whitetail paradise that for most, me included, it's unreal to believe. Sounds like you're doing the right thing for the herd and the island so good luck and hope your management year works out. Oh by the way, if you ever need another hunter I'd be glad to come help!

wildcat

Postby wildcat » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:48 pm

To: Nm. Whitetails: Thank you: I figured he may help you out. He is the local expert around here and northern lower mich. I hope he can give you some info about your QDM program and property management. Also- I went to college at NMU in Marquette and have a close friend name Stacy. She was currently appointed as the Assistant Deputy Director of the DNR field office in Marquette. If you want to prepare a detailed report on your QDM plans, she may assist you in providing the legal means to full fill your agenda, or she can FWD you to the proper governmental authority. If every camp in Michigan had the same QDM as your camp-our state would be produce giants everwhere like Iowa and kansas. Maybee someday.......... 

N. Mich. Whitetails

Postby N. Mich. Whitetails » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:10 pm

thanks for the post bowman12.It is very difficult to explain your version of QDM to other outdoorsman, especially when every property habitat and herd varies from area to area. QDM need to be implemented differently throuhgout the state. It depends on your property size and herd numbers and other factors. Maybe there can be laws made for certain landowners who can manage there herd-that do not affect surrounding DMU units. Also-thanks again Wildcat for your assistance. Wow!! in the last two days I have talked to several of the most interesting people in Michigan about QDM. I thought I was the only  whitetail finatic-there are many like me!!!!!!!!

Ben Sobieck

Postby Ben Sobieck » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:05 am

Outdoor News has an article about this situation. Click here.

N. Mich. Whitetails

Postby N. Mich. Whitetails » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:59 am

Thanks Mr. Sobieck for the article-very accurate. I think that there will always be some tension between DNR and people from the Garden Penninsula of Michigan. Like I said before, it goes back to the 70's and 80's. There is  a few bad apples or should I say trees that really put a dark cloud over that area. As a outsider, I think that the Garden Penninsula has the friendliest people anywhere-and I have been all over the country and served in the military. Todays Michigan DNR who patrol the Garden for the most part have good relationships with residents and tribal members. Its only getting better. The DNR which handled this case are very professional and courteous. Thanks for your chat forums-I have talked to GREAT people. I am glad you posted this article.

ebane

Postby ebane » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:23 am

[font=arial]Fellow hunters,[/font]
[font=arial] [/font]
[font=arial]I just got off the phone where I spoke directly with Debbie Munson Badini of the Michigan DNR's Marquette office.  She is VERY familiar with this story.[/font]
[font=arial] [/font]
[font=arial]First off, the pictures are legitimate, and were from a deer camp on St. Martin's Island in the U.P.  However, the implications of the original e-mail are incorrect.[/font]
[font=arial] [/font]
[font=arial]Debbie informed me that there was no poaching or other large-scale illegal hunting going on.  She did say there were some tickets issued for some incorrectly tagged deer, and wardens are investigating a few other possible violations, but that, again, this was NOT some sort of "poachers camp" [my quotes on that phrase].[/font]
[font=arial] [/font]
[font=arial]She said that Michigan DNR has not publicized this as yet since they are waiting until their officers wrap-up and tie off some of the outstanding issues.[/font]
[font=arial][/font] 
[font=arial]Further info can be found at:[/font]
[font=arial][/font] 
[font=arial]http://outdoornews.com/articles/2009/12/11/national_news/doc4b2264e4d2411086260389.txt[/font]
[font=arial][/font] 
[font=arial][/font]
[font=arial]I hope you'll pass this along to, hopefully, correct any misconceptions.[/font]
[font=arial] [/font]
[font=arial]Thanks![/font]
[font=arial] [/font]
[font=arial]Evan[/font]

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:23 pm

Any idea what the herd size is on the island?

swamp ghost

Postby swamp ghost » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:17 am

I am glad this got sorted out. I hope the MIDNR deer management division takes a few notes.

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:48 pm

I have a question for all.  Why do the deer pictured in vmfa224 post attachment have violet colored tags instead of the orange tags from this year?  I can understand the yellow tags in the later attachment where he is making a statement of how the deer "used to be".  In the original post from Ben Sobieck the deer that are tagged appear to have orange tags.

Am I missing something?  My tags are all orange this year.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:21 pm

Is this Island owned by one person or persons or is it open to the public to hunt. I have never heard of it.

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News