Alleged Poaching Ring Busted in Michigan

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
N. Mich. Whitetails

RE: Alleged Poaching Ring Busted in Michigan

Postby N. Mich. Whitetails » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:36 am

To All: Every tag you see that is not orange is a tribal deer tag, any tribal hunter can have up to six deer tags plus their individual state licenses-which sounds unfair, but I dont make the laws. also the entire island is privately owned. see above article by outdoor news. 

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:40 pm

Thanks for pointing that out N. Mich.  I was guessing it was something like that but just wanted to be sure.

Good luck with the continued QDM.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

U.P.Hunter

Postby U.P.Hunter » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:37 pm

I hope this clears everything up. I am from garden and I about crapped my pants when I herd that my bodies were being accused of Poaching. The only tickets that were handed out were a few that were not tagged right away, (wich is wrong) but I think that every hunter here has gutted and draged a deer out before they tagged it. As for the green leaves, what green leaves only thing green that I see is ceader trees. They stay green all rear round last I new???

Here is a pic that should clear everything up. This is a pic of some of the guys standing in front of the buck pole w/ 3 DNR CO's and 1 County Cop. I really don't think anyone would be smilling if it was a poaching ring... Thanks for the clear up NM Whitetaile....

http://bloodbro.com/messageboard/viewto ... f=8&t=8640

btdodge

Postby btdodge » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:40 pm

After reading all the posts here on the D&DH forum as well as reading bits and pieces from other hunting related forums it has become nearly impossible to make sense of the entire situation.
While it is quite apparent that no actual "Poaching" took place, there were several deer that were not tagged legally- shame on the hunters for that. Also, because there were several members of a local band of Native Americans does justify any extra permits that were used to harvest the deer- but just because something is deemed "Legal" still doesnt mean it is right.
Given the size of St. Martins Island and the sheer number of deer that were harvested in 2009 would leave many hunters wondering how the island ever supported such a massive deer population. Is a deer management program really necessary in such a small area? Sure, many of the deer would have died due to starvation and the deer that would have survived would have been of far superior genetics. Why not let the process of natural selection cull the deer naturally? To me it seems that the number of permits granted to a tribal member was used as an excuse for their own greed and gluttony. Remember- just because something is legal does not mean it is right.
Regardless of the outcome of this situation we all must walk away from this story with the truth. The truth is that REAL poaching on a grand scale happens every day of every year. It is happening right under our noses- some of you reading this are guilty of poaching in one form or another and those who are not guilty know another hunter who is. In my home state of Maine it is estimated that nearly as many deer are poached each year as are harvested legally. Harvest limits are established by biologists that employed by the state you live in. The limits are set for a reason- they are set in the best intrest of the animals we hunt so that there will be animals for our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren to enjoy. Limits are not set for the best intrest of the hunter. 

U.P.Hunter

Postby U.P.Hunter » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:53 pm

So what your saying is to just let them starve to death and suffer to solve the population problem. If that's the case than way does it matter that they were shot and eaten?

btdodge

Postby btdodge » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:01 pm

What matters is if they were shot and eaten legally and for the right reasons. Wild animals don't look at pain and suffering the same as humans do. They accept it as a way of life.

U.P.Hunter

Postby U.P.Hunter » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:23 pm

I would agree w/ you if there were predators on the island to eat the remains or to kill and eat the weak and or wounded but the is not so much as a coyote, bobcat or anything like that. they would just go to wast.

btdodge

Postby btdodge » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:54 pm

OK, consider this- 20% of Maine's deer herd died due to starvation/predation over the SEVERE winters of 2007 and 2008. Does that give me the right to enter the wintering habitat and harvest them just because they would die anyway?

U.P.Hunter

Postby U.P.Hunter » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:06 pm

No it does not but like I said before the deer that died in main are at least being a part of a food chain and being eaten by predators but again like I said there are none on the Island. Also your referring to a whole states deer Population compared to a 1256 acre Island.

N. Mich. Whitetails

Postby N. Mich. Whitetails » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:41 am

To All: Our QDM practices first and foremost has to protect the habitat. If we let it go without intervention it would absolutely destroy the property along with a the genetics we are trying to protect. To compare this area with other states and areas to implement QDM practices is totally ludicrous. We our implementing the strictest QDM procedures so there will not have to be a large culling of bucks/does. In doing this, we will save our best genetics and preserve the natural habitat. Read the studies of what happened in the 80's on the FOX Islands, In conclusion overpopulation ruins habitat along with the herd and these areas were also heavily hunted. Another point our QDM only is for this area in question (not the entire state)-what is unique is that it will not affect the surrounding Deer Management Units in Mich directly. QDM procedures have to revised differently for unique areas. Our stance is that MDNR needs to review and overhaul QDM & DMU in Michigan to make this state more appealable to hunt. People see a buck pole like above, and think WOW...but this is an area that can be managed (for years ), but think about an entire state. If Michigan had an 8 point better law-for three years- we would be amazingly surprised on how many CBM entries there would be. WOW would be everywhere in Mich. Look at Pennsylvania--they are on the right tract. One thing that dismays this way of thinking is that every hunter's opinion of QDM is different- a spike, 4 or six point is a trophy to some hunters & 140 inch to another. We all have to have some commonground to make this State the best Whitetail hunting or atleast one of the most desired areas to hunt. This would altimately increase revenue for the DNR & State of Mich. We need some changes.

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News