Hit doe,not sure

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
jmontefusco

Hit doe,not sure

Postby jmontefusco » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:50 pm

Hello All,

I hit decent doe tonight, slight quarter towards me. Shot through doubleBull mesh, approx 18 yds, 125 gr Montec G5 out of Matt Outback 61lbs.
Hit looked a little high on shoulder
Found some blood in snow but didn't want to push her ... going back in am to look thoroughly..Any thoughts???
John

If you don't stand for something, you stand for nothing.

Woods Walker

RE: Hit doe,not sure

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Where was the near side front leg? Forward, or back?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:42 pm

Was it a complete passthrough?  Was the blood on the arrow or ground frothy?  If your unsure of the shot backing out is the best course of action.

scotman

Postby scotman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:26 am

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

Was it a complete passthrough?  Was the blood on the arrow or ground frothy?  If your unsure of the shot backing out is the best course of action.

Could not agree more especially if you are unsure on the shot placement.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:50 pm

jmontesfusco, you did the right thing by waiting to track.  You should know that quartering to shots are always like playing Russian roulette.  I cannot say that I have never made a bad shot but, I have learned to wait for a good shot or let the animal pass.  About five or six years ago I lost about a 140" deer to a shoulder hit.  It was not a bad shot angle, just bad shot placement (pre-range finder days).  However I only got about four or five inches of penetration so I am confident the critter lived.  Like yourself, I did not take up the trail until the next morning.  I can honestly say I have not lost an animal since.  I learned that if you give the deer time it will most likely present a great shot opportunity.  Good luck finding your doe and good luck sleeping tonight.
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

alliancpaul

Postby alliancpaul » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Good idea that will give her time to bleed out. Its plenty cold enough so the meat will not go bad good luck on finding ur doe
Paul Dent

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:59 am

Quatering towards shots are a poor choice for an archer. I hope you find the deer and think twice about taking this shot angle again.

CB

Savage

Postby Savage » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:04 am

good luck finding her!
Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

Genesis 27:3

Return to Breaking News