Les Davenport leaves NAWT and joins D&DH

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
DeanoZ

Les Davenport leaves NAWT and joins D&DH

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Interesting article from Les Davenport that ges to the ground truth on the state of things a NAWT Mag and a lot of kudos to D&DH.  Look forward to your articles in D&DH Les, welcome aboard!

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/ind ... whitetail/

RubyCreekHunter

RE: Les Davenport leaves NAWT and joins D&DH

Postby RubyCreekHunter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:18 am

I don`t know who he is, but i like what he has to say in that article...and am looking forward to read more from him in D&DH...if i ever get my first copy!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:07 am

GREAT article!!!!

I have a new found respect for Mr. Davenport.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:30 am

I was aware of these issues at NAW, and Davenport's piece is consistent with what I've heard. I mentioned this issue to someone yesterday, who got the link and forwarded it to me today. It's interesting that Davenport has said what many here have said, not so much about NAW but about the way the industry has created celebrity pitchmen. Davenport artfully avoided naming anyone in particular, and we can only guess who he is specifically talking about.

Here's the bottom line: Business used to be about serving the customers/constituency in order to maximize profit. Now business is too often about maximizing profit at the expense of the constituency it serves.

That's happening in other industries as well. These issues sound very much like what went on in the company where I worked for 24 years. Once a company picks up a little speed on this downhill slope, it's difficult to slow things down.

I saw the issue of NAW with the turkey section in it on the newsstand yesterday. I must say that it struck me as incongruent.

I know a common criticism of NAW is that it's nothing but stories without any strategy or science. No doubt some of the stories are like that, but my observation has been that the articles in NAW show a lot of the application of strategy and science, and if you read the stories with that in mind you'll find it. Here's hoping that NAW will remain the premier big buck magazine.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:14 pm

My hats off to Les!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

ColoradoKid

Postby ColoradoKid » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:20 am

Wow, what a stinging rebuke! I totally agree with what Les had to say. Thankfully there are still groups out there who hold to the traditional values. Check out Outreach Outdoors. These guys are all about the core values that used to be synonymous with hunting. I am look forward to reading more of Les in the coming issues.

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:13 am

Rock on Les! It seems the more gear I buy, the less I enjoy the sport. After this past season, I decided to pick up a recurve and start getting back to the fun I used to have. My freezer will be more empty, but I can deal with that. I long for the day when I don't hear hunters debating scent-lok's effectiveness and instead hear them supporting each other in this sport.

Change is hard but it has to start somewhere. Based upon the feedback that I have seen, Les has a lot of support. Now that he has taken the first big step for us, it is now up to us to do our part. I will not support NAW or anything they are connected with. If you feel as strongly as I do about this, then please do the same.

Good hunting!
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

deerdown

Postby deerdown » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:29 am

WOW ... what a slam. Reading that article and posts that followed has definately put some things in perspective for me. I've never seen the NAW magazine but have watched the TV show. It's good entertainment but I certainly prefer D&DH over it any day.

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:09 pm

I have been reading his articles for years. A really interesting writer with really interesting views. I have subscribed to NAW for years so he will be a plus for this magazine.

tracer

Postby tracer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:31 pm

Good move by Les and I look forward to reading his articles in D&DH.  However, I feel he is slamming the " Pro ( Promotion) Staffer " pretty hard in that article and I am  offended by it. He is painting all Pro staffers with the same brush, like we are all out to make a buck and do what ever it takes. There are a lot of very hard working, dedicated people out there that have been working in the " industry" for years. They offer their advice, share their experiences and promote products they use and believe in. The Pro Staffer is an ambassador for the company. They don't get paid to do this and to suggest that they are getting their pockets padded by corporations is a lot of nonsense.

Steve Mitchell

Mossy Oak Pro Staffer

Next

Return to Breaking News