Cooperating Veterinarian and X-Ray Lead to Arrest

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
clfenimore

Cooperating Veterinarian and X-Ray Lead to Arrest

Postby clfenimore » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:14 pm

January 09, 2010 Missouri Conservation Agent David Harms received a call after an individual heard a shot and then observed a deer stumble in a field. Agent Harms went to a nearby home and found a deer hanging under a car port. The resident indicated he had shot this particular deer with a bow, additionally he stated the shot heard by the witness was likely him target practicing. Agent Harms seized the deer and sought assistance from local veterinarian. The vet X-rayed the deer and found lead fragments in and around the alleged archery wound channel.

Agent Harms returned to the hunter's residence armed with the new found evidence and shortly thereafter the subject confessed to shooting the deer with a firearm and sticking an arrow in the bullet wound channel to make it look like an archery harvest.

Conservation Agents hear about a few of cases like this one every year, which is quite surprising since there are several methods of disproving the ole "shoot it with a gun and stick and arrow in it routine." Thanks to the quick attention of a conservation minded citizen Agent Harms was able to take a look at this deer while it was still hanging.
If a man cant hunt when he's living how the hell will he hunt when he's dead

SHKYBoonie

RE: Cooperating Veterinarian and X-Ray Lead to Arrest

Postby SHKYBoonie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:13 pm

Some of the Game Officers in KY actually carry the hand held metal detectors (like the ones at the airport) in their trucks during bow season just for this reason. I am glad these type stories get circulated! Maybe it will make someone think twice before they do something dumb. Bad thing is, you can't fix stupid!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:42 am

I would bet this probably happens a bit in Missouri where we get two archery any deer tags and only one firearms any deer tag. 

I also wonder how often people shoot a deer with their rifle during muzzle loader season.  This past season, I heard quite a few rapid fire shots, so either someone has developed a multi-shot muzzle loader or people aren't be on the up-and-up. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

14milecreekbucks

Postby 14milecreekbucks » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:56 am

This probably happen more than we know it's a shame a few knuckleheads have to ruin things for the rest of us. I also agree with ranwin33 during muzzle season I definatley hear a few quick shots that not even Davey Crockett could make that fast.

clfenimore

Postby clfenimore » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:46 pm

I also agree with ranwin33 during muzzle season I definatley hear a few quick shots that not even Davey Crockett could make that fast.

I was bow hunting during the muzzle loader season this year and heard several shots in a row I thought the same thing you thought. Then when I was leaving I saw a couple of guys up the road loading some Labradors up in a truck and figured that what I had heard was these guys goose or duck hunting. I'm sure there are people who use their centerfire guns during the muzzle loader season Sometimes when I'm bowhunting I'll hear a single shot at sundown or a couple shots and I often wonder if it's someone poaching. The Cass County game warden Phil Needham lives close to where I hunt. Two years ago during gun season he took care of some trespassers on the neighbors place. He has an ATV with a siren and was roaring down through the timber with his siren blaring. I thought for sure I wouldn't see a deer that day. I did wind up seeing a couple small deer later the same day.
If a man cant hunt when he's living how the hell will he hunt when he's dead

Return to Breaking News