2 yotes kill buck MHF.com

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
aj454

2 yotes kill buck MHF.com

Postby aj454 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:48 pm

Hello
New to the site. Question. On my hunting forum there's trail cam pics of 2 coyotes killing a buck. I was told there is a 200 photo's supposely published in the January 2012 issue. If this iis true how would i go about viewing them. Thanks for any help.
AJ454

ranwin33

Re: 2 yotes kill buck MHF.com

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:51 pm

aj454 wrote:Hello
New to the site. Question. On my hunting forum there's trail cam pics of 2 coyotes killing a buck. I was told there is a 200 photo's supposely published in the January 2012 issue. If this iis true how would i go about viewing them. Thanks for any help.
AJ454

Buy the magazine, although you will not get all 200 picts - those published give a good representation of what happened.

You can also find them here: http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/image ... -kill-buck
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:45 pm

I've seen those photos, and IMO there's no way that's a healthy buck. For those coyotes to do that, he had to have been wounded in some way or maybe had a run in with a car. I see deer and coyotes interact all the time on my property, and I just find it hard to believe that he wasn't hurt prior to the attack.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:02 pm

With the tongue hanging out like it was in the early picts, he may have just been run hard and exhausted.

But agreed, it's pretty odd if it happened to a healthy buck.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:42 pm

I could see if there was deep snow with a hardpack crust that the 'yotes could run on. That DOES happen. But healthy adult whitetail bucks AND does, will drive coyotes off. I've seen it more than once. In fact, around my place, the deer pretty much ignore the coyotes if you see them in the same woods or fields at the same time.

One gun season I shot a big bodied 10 pointer. We had good tracking snow, so we trailed him for about 6 hours. I guessed that it was a one lung hit, because in his beds we did see lung blood, but a double lunged deer does not go for 6 hours! We left him as it got dark, as he went down a bluff into thick cover. My hope was that he would bed and die there overnight. Next morning at full light we picked up the trail again. He did bed not far from there, but that's where we saw the 3 sets of coyote tracks come in. From there, he went down the bluff in about 5 bounds, and then on level ground there was a 25 yard round area, with blood, hair and tracks. Then the bucks tracks went one way, and the coyotes in the opposite direction. Here was a wounded whitetail buck that FOUGHT OFF at least 3 coyotes. At that point I tipped my hat to him. Eventually he went where we couldn't go, and the neighbor found him a week later right about where I shot at him. That was some buck!

The buck in those pics was NOT a healthy buck deer. No way. If it was, then we now have a super race of coyotes that will make wolf predation look like a housecats. And good-bye deer hunting. There are far too many coyotes around that if they can start killing healthy adult deer willy-nilly then it's over.

That said, I have heard of, and I don't discount it, of coyotes in the northeast that came out of Canada that have crossed with wolves. These are bigger, more aggressive, and tend to pack hunt more than our garden variety coyote of the west and mid west.

What this video does show is that despite the movies and fairy tales, mother nature is a real b***h, and the hard truth is that most wild things suffer and end like this. For something to live, something else must die, and the dying part ain't pretty. What I hope this movie doesn't contribute to, are asinine statments like......

"Coyotes...cold blooded killers."

They are PREDATORS, and damn good ones to boot. They are doing what their genes are telling them to do. Do they need to be managed? Of course. But please...no anthrophamorphic labels!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

lonlon

Postby lonlon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:06 pm

I agree, something wrong with that deer !!!! My son shot a buck that was proved to be 8.5 years old this year on Thanksgiving Day. He was walking to his truck minutes before end of shooting time only to see this old buck walking right at him, he shot him at 30 paces. The buck had one eye swollen shut form a recent fight, his other eye was set way deep in , his scalp was so swollen we figure he couldn't tell what my son was !!!! Deer like this are subject to predation, man or beast. Lon

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:21 am

I also agree that there had to be something wrong with him. But what I don't understand, is why he stayed in that same spot, with picture after picture. Seems to me any deer in that situation would try to leave the area. It's almost as if he felt some sense of safety there.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Return to Breaking News