Shots Fired At Ohio Wildlife Officers

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
FFKEVIN

Shots Fired At Ohio Wildlife Officers

Postby FFKEVIN » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:56 pm

SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (AP) - Police have taken two men into custody after someone fired a shot at two Ohio Division of Wildlife officials looking for deer poachers.

No one was injured in the shooting which happened around midnight Friday north of Springfield in western Ohio.

Jeff Tipton, a state wildlife officer, says the shooting happened after someone drove into the field where the two officers
were looking for poachers.
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

FFKEVIN

RE: Shots Fired At Ohio Wildlife Officers

Postby FFKEVIN » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:01 pm

More info -

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/News/NewsReleaseArchives/tabid/19075/EntryID/1401/Default.aspx

Three Champaign County men, who allegedly shot at a State Wildlife Officer's cruiser, hitting the windshield with two State Wildlife Officers inside, were taken into custody on October 30 and released the following day.

Charges will be filed as soon as the investigation has concluded.

State Wildlife Officers Jeffery Tipton and Adam Smith were in the cruiser parked in a field on surveillance looking for poachers. The suspect's vehicle pulled into the field and directed its headlights at the cruiser. One shot was fired hitting the cruiser in the front windshield. Officers turned on their emergency lights and the suspects fled.

The Wildlife Officers pursued the suspects 4.5 miles from Johnson Township to Concord Township. The three suspects were apprehended with assistance from the Ohio Highway Patrol and Champaign County Sheriff Office.

The investigation is being jointly conducted with the ODNR Division of Wildlife and the Ohio Highway Patrol.

Click here for a News Video Link
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

buckfarmdude

Postby buckfarmdude » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:53 pm

They released them just like that? That's attempted murder! Keep these guys locked up; don't let them go back in the woods. Hello-ooo....
Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for Thee O God."

Murie51

Postby Murie51 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:08 am

ORIGINAL: buckfarmdude

They released them just like that? That's attempted murder! Keep these guys locked up; don't let them go back in the woods. Hello-ooo....

I agree! If those officers had been Ohio Highway Patrol or Champaign County Sheriffs those guys would still be in Jail.  That's BS!  They don't need to be out to have a chance to shoot at someone else. 
"Good intensions are fraught with disappointment" - Grissom

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:34 am

Ya know this is just stupid! Ya let someone go just like that?! TERRIABLE! They tried to kill them...Not only that, but they are also out trying to poach deer! Sadly these people must have a lot of money, or they arent seeing this like we are all seeing it..

I hear of stuff like this, but I have never read into it like this.. I wonder how often it happens? This is just terriable, and I hope that they protect the officers. (IE: Bullet proof vests, glass, etc...) This just really gets to me to see them walk. Yes I know they will have charges..But one would think they wouldnt charge them with much if they just let them out the next day. Just sad!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:06 am

Something doesn't make sense about this story. Were they really shooting at the cruiser or something else in the field and then realized they hit a cruiser accidently and fled when he turned on his lights? Just doesn't make sense, if they determined they indeed were shooting at the cruiser there is no way they let them go. Wow, hard to believe.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:14 am

Three Champaign County men, who allegedly shot at a State Wildlife Officer's cruiser, hitting the windshield with two State Wildlife Officers inside, were taken into custody on October 30 and released the following day.

Let's keep in mind that there is a lot that this news article doesn't say. It doesn't say whether they retained a lawyer, whether they posted bail, what their motive was or whether they confessed. It doesn't say whether a plea was offered. It does say they will be charged, but it doesn't say what the charges will be. They will face their day in court. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a good day for them.

However, I agree that if these guys shot the windshield out of a highway patrol cruiser, the charges would likely be more severe than what they will get. It's just not right. The penalty for assaulting wildlife conservation officers should be every bit as severe as the penalty for assaulting any other law enforcement officer, whether it's a state trooper, deputy sheriff, or any other LEO.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:29 am

I agree with Steve.
Lets not forget, that almost everytime there is an altercation for DNR officers, the perps are almost always armed.
They are law enforcement officers, and should be held in the same regard as any officer wearing a badge.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:19 am

I live in champaign county not far from ware this happened if I hear any thing more ill post it

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:43 am

I was a State of Wisconsin Conservation Warden in 1971 when Neil LaFave (a state game technician) was found buried in a shallow grave up in Little Suamico. We always worked in pairs after that and went armed at all times. Virtually everyone that we'd stop to check for a license had a gun in his hand when we pulled up. It made me a little nervous after awhile. I got paid the princely sum of $137.50 per week at that time. I don't know what wardens make today, but they put in incredibly long hours and have to deal with all types of personalities. They're part cop, part game manager, and part psychologist and I respect every one of them. I don't know why any poachers would choose to shoot at another car whether it was a squad car or not. I hope it all works out and the bad guys get what they deserve. Wisconsin has lost 4 game officers to gunfire, the most recent being in 1990.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/7807-game-t ... -l.-lafave

Next

Return to Breaking News