Woman Mauled to Death by Pet Black Bear

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
vipertech

Postby vipertech » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:07 am

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,560144,00.html?test=latestnews
Monday, October 05, 2009

associated press

ALLENTOWN, Pa.  -  Authorities in northeastern Pennsylvania say a woman was killed by her pet black bear as she cleaned its cage.[/b]
State police say 37-year-old Kelly Ann Walz was mauled to death Sunday evening by the 350-pound bear.
A state Game Commission spokesman says Walz kept the bear inside a steel and concrete cage near her house about 20 miles northeast of Allentown.
Officials say Walz threw a shovelful of dog food to one side of the cage to distract the bear while she cleaned the other side. At some point the bear turned on her and attacked.
The bear was shot and killed. No information was available about who shot the bear.
Game officials say Walz also owned a Bengal tiger and an African lion. They say she had licenses to own the animals.

buckhunter21

RE: Woman Mauled to Death by Pet Black Bear

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Sad story, but goes to show that wild animals are just that, wild, no matter how tame you think they are or have become!
QDM!

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:26 am

I've said it once and I'll keep saying it again.  You can't fix stupid.  Some people just need to learn that more than just "shovel tossing food to the other side of the cage" is not enough protection against a WILD animal.  Darwinism at it's best and I have no pity.  Call me cruel, but doing this type of thing, just isn't smart and that is why some people live longer than others.  Sad, but true.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:33 am

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

I've said it once and I'll keep saying it again.  You can't fix stupid.  Some people just need to learn that more than just "shovel tossing food to the other side of the cage" is not enough protection against a WILD animal.  Darwinism at it's best and I have no pity.  Call me cruel, but doing this type of thing, just isn't smart and that is why some people live longer than others.  Sad, but true.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:45 am

this was down the road from my friends house in PA she also had tigers the neighbor shot the bear
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

buckfarmdude

Postby buckfarmdude » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:35 am

Reminds me of the CT woman who owned the chimpanzee that mauled her friend. These animals simply are not meant to be house pets. Do we really need any further proof than this?
Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for Thee O God."

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:07 pm

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Sometimes there is'nt a lifeguard on duty at the gene pool!

Don't mess with Mother Nature. Sometimes the consequences are deadly.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Return to Breaking News