Coyotes kill 19 year old woman

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
mightyfofaad

RE: Coyotes kill 19 year old woman

Postby mightyfofaad » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:12 am

Goose: Coyotes kill 19 year old woman

That is totally out of character for Coyotes. The only verified wolf attack in this country involved rabies.[/align] [/align]I don't know what happened here; no one does, and I'm not trying to blame the victim. However, sometimes, the nicest people, with the biggest hearts do foolish things when it comes to encounters with wild animals.[/align] [/align]This is obviously either a case of someone trying to feed and/or touch the animals she was feeding, or, more probably Rabid Animals. In years past in NYS we had a fairly serious rabies problem involving almost every species imaginable ... fox, raccoons, wood chucks, deer, coyote, etc., not to exclude packs of semi-wild dogs.[/align] [/align]Altho this was some type of terrible aberration of animal behavior, it should remind people, especially those alone in the woods, to be cautious and realize the animals they encounter, do not act like cartoon characters, which unfortunately, is the only experience many city folk have.[/align]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:50 am

Since Brown's Law dictates the farther north-the larger the body size, I'm willing to bet they were good size yotes to begin with.

This is true, but it's called BERGMANN'S RULE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergmann's_rule

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:27 am

I really don't want to get into a thing about this ...but that was not the only bad encounter we've had with yotes...before the "breakfast " incident...
Our childrens full grown 120# Nubian goats were attacked in their barn and killed...We found one dragged down in the woods...during the day and less than 100 ft from our shepherds kennel....they ate half of one and just the hip of another....Our dogs both ripped their front teeth out trying to get out of the kennel to stop the attack....
 the next morning a yote was running down the lane way from land across street...I was on my way to work and couldn't stop( worked at a high school)...That day I came home to our daughter crying on the front steps...needle and thread in hand stitching up the neck of one of our surviving chickens...they'd drag 5 15 # rock cornish hens out of the 4ft high chicken wired fence...they had killed seven and wounded the one she was stitching up.

It was investigated and we were re-embursed by the county for the loss and told they est. that the yotes... more than likely weighed in between 65-85 to due to the damage that they did...I saw the ones that circled me and the one running down the lane way....they were near as... if not as big as my 85# female shepherd...

Also during this whole thing my neighbors down the hill lost their turkey and ducks...out of their barn and the neighbor above me lost 2 sheep....

I just talked to a neighbor and last year he had a back hoe come in to dig out a yote den on his place...He described a den with multiple tunnels ...in all directions some as long as 100+ ft...he and the operator had never seen anything like it

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:28 pm

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

Goose: Coyotes kill 19 year old woman

[/align] 

[/align]Altho this was some type of terrible aberration of animal behavior, it should remind people, especially those alone in the woods, to be cautious and realize the animals they encounter, do not act like cartoon characters, which unfortunately, is the only experience many city folk have.

[/align]

Exactly the reason I posted this.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:01 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

Don't know if you all saw this or not but thought it was something worth posting.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091028/ap_on_re_ca/cn_canada_coyote_attack
A lot of us deal with coyotes so please keep this in mind.

Ya, a friend of mine sent that to me in an email a couple days ago. Crazy stuff...When I was reading it I first thought, 'That can't be coyotes...Has to be wolves.' But then they went on to say that they killed one that was involved and indeed it was a coyote. That's strange...Never heard of this happening before.
QDM!

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:53 am

Sad story.  If they can take out a 19 yearold, the coyotes can take out a kid, I think that has actualy happened already.  So much for the diet of moles and mice, as a writer (IL, outdoors) was saying that was all the poor little yotes were after. The person also said the coyotes don't take many fawns, rabbits, or game birds.... I say that writer dosn't hunt much...  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:35 am

EatDeer: Sad story.  If they can take out a 19 yearold, the coyotes can take out a kid, I think that has actualy happened already.  So much for the diet of moles and mice, as a writer (IL, outdoors) was saying that was all the poor little yotes were after. The person also said the coyotes don't take many fawns, rabbits, or game birds.... I say that writer dosn't hunt much...  

Aside from the Norway rat, who has adapted to life in our big cities, I do not believe there is a more adaptable and opportunistic animal on the planet, than coyotes.  Aside from their natural fear & avoidance of adult humans, there is nothing a coyote won't try to eat; given the opportunity.[/align] [/align]A vole is fine, but chickens, piglets, fawns, sheep and an occasional dog will do just as well.  Coyotes have snatched more than one family dog from an enclosed yard.  What scares the devil out of me is the thought that sooner or later, when they attack a family pet ... if a 3 year old kid happens to be in the yard at the time ... I can't even say it.[/align] [/align]Interestingly, the only place a coyote can't survive, is within an active wolf pack territory as the wolves will kill them at the first opportunity ... aside from that, they seem to be adapting to life at the very edges of our cities.[/align]

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:48 am

I will put a bullet in any and all coyotes I see while deer hunting.
I called one in while I was deer hunting with a doe bleat. I shot at it and missed, but would'nt hesitate to do it again.
I had one circle around me in the pre-dawn dark while turkey hunting once. Big dog. I think the only thing that saved me from being attacked was the wind was at my back, and I did'nt move. I saw him at the edge of the field at first light, eyeing my decoys.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:52 pm

I'm with you nhdeer- - If I see one, I am shooting it. I took one out earlier in the season. It was near a fence line and crawled back under the fence after I shot it. But it's dead... bleed out from a clean shot through it and also paralyzed the rear legs as it was a high shot and a bad angle that went in behind the front leg on one side and out in front of the back leg on the other side. We are overrun with them here in SW Ohio so there is no closed season.  The next morning I went back out to hunt and it was pitch black as I walked to my stand. I could hear the coyotes howling in the distance... in the direction I was headed. It gave me the chills. All I could think was that they wanted payback! Luckily I had my side arm loaded, the slide racked and ready to go. I am happy to say I made it to my stand without incident.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:27 pm

nhdeerchaser:
I will put a bullet in any and all coyotes I see while deer hunting.
I called one in while I was deer hunting with a doe bleat.

You should contact OHhunter ... he seems to do a very good mouse impersonation which draws the coyotes in to within just a few yards. He posted one of his coyotes.http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=21236&mpage=6&key=? Post # 118

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News