Coyotes kill 19 year old woman

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
smudd55

RE: Coyotes kill 19 year old woman

Postby smudd55 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:59 am

Wow! That is crazy! I have never really been scared of them. They are usually around when I am walking to my stand in the morning. I know they aren't deer because they let me get closer than deer do but they still keep their distance. This makes me rethink things. There could always be a rouge in the group. That is to bad.
From Jeremiah Johnson~I am Bear Claw Chris Lapp; bloodkin to the grizzer that bit Jim Bridger's ass! YOU are molesting my hunt!

buckandbow

Postby buckandbow » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:23 am

This happened not far from me in Cape Breton,Nova Scotia at a hiking trail in a provincial park where no hunting or trapping takes place.
They feel this was done by a couple of young coyotes that the hikers that use the trail may throw food to aand have become use to getting free food.
They shot one of them and are having it checked for rabies but have not posted the results yet. The other thing her mother said that her daughter would not have wanted the coyotes detroyed for what they did to her as she was in there space.
The coyotes have not always been here in Nova Scotia,the first sighting was in 1977 and that only happened after they went looking to see what was killing sheep in some farmers field.
I will post more when the info is avaliable.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:27 am

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

That is totally out of character for Coyotes. The only verified wolf attack in this country involved rabies.
[/align][/align][/align]

It wasn't too long ago that a pack of wolve killed a guy in Canada. I think that it was just 2 wolves, but I'm not sure about the number.

Coyotes will eat whatever type of animal that it can get into it's mouth. If the pack thinks that they have a chance to eat a person without getting hurt, then they will. A couple of years ago a toddler went missing. The boy figured out how to open the back door and went or a walk. The good news is that they found the little boy without harm, but it was because two of the volunteers were hunters. They heard a pack of coyotes yipping and getting excited and went to the sound. The coyotes were tracking and eventually circling the boy when they found him. Wild animals are all dangerous to some extent. I don't think the coyote attack will become common place, but coyotes have spread across the country and live in our back yards and it will become more of a problem.
From those who much is given, much is expected

jrobinson91

Postby jrobinson91 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:03 am

I dont find it hard to believe. I was chased by a pack of coyotes when i was about 11 or 12 years old. Ive shot everyone ive seen since then.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:03 pm

Thats to sad.. I hear them all the time too..
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Jerimy240

Postby Jerimy240 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:29 pm

I'm a relatively new hunter, and sometimes I have to hunt alone. I hunt with a climber stand and walk a good ways from my truck around 5am in the morning and I'm walking back to the truck after dark when I hunt in the evenings. I use a headlamp, and I don't have a handgun so I'm a little nervous especially in the mornings. I try to be quiet, and I live near the coast in South Carolina so I'm worried about walking up on hogs or coyotes patterning me. Am I a chicken or do I have a reason to be concerned? By walking around the woods in the dark, what do I need to be worried about?
Summerville, SC

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Jerimy,
You are not chicken. It is much better to go in understanding risks, thinking about them and what you would do should you come across a dangerous situation.

First I would say you should know the area you are hunting and be familiar with the terrain, especially because you (we) walk in the dark. Falling off a hill or cliff can be just as dangerous as a couple coyotes. Where I hunt (and I usually hunt alone), there are of course skunks and raccoons, but also some wild pack dogs and coyotes, so I do carry a handgun (I have a conceal carry permit) and everytime I get out of my truck, get my gear ready and start my walk to my stand, I try to make sure my right hand is free (to reach for the gun) just in case I do run into something. It is usually dark, but I have the lights in my cap and I will turn them on and off as I approach certain points in my walk. Being prepared is important and if you are thinking about it, then your senses are more in tune to what is happening around you. I make sure my ears are not covered when I am walking to my stand. I want to hear every sound. I love to hunt and understand the risks. Now it's not to say if I were in an area known to have wolves or bears, that I might not be a little chicken to go out on my own to hunt. I might actually think twice about it.

Enjoy your hunting but be aware of your surroundings. I am not sure what else you can do or have with you to protect yourself, but I am sure there are others on this forum that may have an idea that would be deemed legal.    

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:09 pm

Jerimy240

I live near the coast in South Carolina so I'm worried about walking up on hogs or coyotes patterning me. Am I a chicken or do I have a reason to be concerned? By walking around the woods in the dark, what do I need to be worried about?

Forget about this incident, from what we have already learned, it will probably turn out as I suspected in my first post ... that this young woman was probably feeding these animals ... very likely squatting down as she was doing it, & from there, a dozen different bad scenarios could or would follow.[/align] [/align]Coyotes do not attack adult humans.  They are very opportunistic & just because they're checking you out ... that doesn't mean that they're planning to put you on the menu. If you see one, or four in close proximity ... if you growl & charge them ... they will take off like a Road Runner Cartoon.[/align] [/align]Ask anyone who hunts Coyote. They don't stand out in the open hoping a Yote will decide to come in & eat them! They have to hide from them or they take off.[/align] [/align]Now, if you come across one of your Carolina 300 lb, 6" tusk Razorbacks ... let em pass, let em pass. [:-][/align]

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:34 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Since Brown's Law dictates the farther north-the larger the body size, I'm willing to bet they were good size yotes to begin with.

This is true, but it's called BERGMANN'S RULE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergmann's_rule

See? There it is. Proof that the mind is often the first thing to go. [:o]

Thanks for catching me WW. Now where did I put that bottle of ginko...

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:22 am

It could be that wolves attacked this person, and the coyotes were hanging around when they shot one.  I've never heard of a coyote attacking an adult human, but you never know I guess.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News