Coyotes kill 19 year old woman

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
postman

RE: Coyotes kill 19 year old woman

Postby postman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:58 am

It's quite possible that she was on her menstral cycle and they could smell blood.
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:51 am

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

Jerimy240

I live near the coast in South Carolina so I'm worried about walking up on hogs or coyotes patterning me. Am I a chicken or do I have a reason to be concerned? By walking around the woods in the dark, what do I need to be worried about?

Forget about this incident, from what we have already learned, it will probably turn out as I suspected in my first post ... that this young woman was probably feeding these animals ... very likely squatting down as she was doing it, & from there, a dozen different bad scenarios could or would follow.[/align] [/align]Coyotes do not attack adult humans.  They are very opportunistic & just because they're checking you out ... that doesn't mean that they're planning to put you on the menu. If you see one, or four in close proximity ... if you growl & charge them ... they will take off like a Road Runner Cartoon.[/align] [/align]Ask anyone who hunts Coyote. They don't stand out in the open hoping a Yote will decide to come in & eat them! They have to hide from them or they take off.[/align] [/align]Now, if you come across one of your Carolina 300 lb, 6" tusk Razorbacks ... let em pass, let em pass. [:-][/align]

You know, for all the money wiley coyote put into acme products, he could've gotten himself a nice steak dinner!
I'm just sayin'

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:48 pm

nhdeerchaser: You know, for all the money wiley coyote put into acme products, he could've gotten himself a nice steak dinner!
I'm just sayin'

Mike

Really!

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:57 pm

While we're on the subject, some folks capture photos of animals in their trail cams & the subject comes up repeatedly as to whether the animal in question is a dog, a yote or wolf. I thought I'd copy over to this post, an answer I gave which many may find helpful.

[hr]

COYOTE vs WOLF  Admittedly, it can be confusing because, let's face it, they're very similar animals, and, when viewing a large coyote vs a small wolf; it gets even more confusing ... if you don't know what to look for.

[/align]

[/align]In general, the wolf is much larger(*) ... but it also has more powerful neck & shoulders & when standing still, you'll note the wolf's shoulders are always (usually) higher than it's hind quarters.  But the best & easiest way to tell the difference is in the face ... note the two superimposed photos ... it's easy ... the coyote has a more Fox like face & ears.

[/align] 
As a matter of fact ... I believe a Fox & a Wolf once mated ... and that's how we got the Coyote. [:D]

(*) Coyote 20-60 lbs ... Timber Wolf 80-170 lbs (aka Gray Wolf)

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:57 am

This is very sad indeed.

I wonder what the resurgence is in coyote's?

Seems just about every hunter/farmer I know or read about will take coyotes out asap if they can, yet their numbers continue to appear to be growing??
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:42 am

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

This is very sad indeed.

Seems just about every hunter/farmer I know or read about will take coyotes out asap if they can, yet their numbers continue to appear to be growing??

The colonization of North America spelled the decline of many species for a number of reasons. Elimination of market hunting, successful wildlife mngment, successional reclaimation and improved habitat allowed or spurred the expansion of many species. You only get an animal if you first have habitat that can support it. Some animals ability to adapt can make them tough to manage once established or re-established.

Upside is, the predator/prey relationship is largely self-limiting. We complain about coyotes all the time and yet most of us are historically experiencing more deer than we ever did as kids.

From a nuisance standpoint, the only thing that will work is not providing coyotes with situations that they can exploit. Not everyone can have free-range chickens or half-ass designed livestock pens and expect an enterprising fox or yote not to try. And, once successful they are sure to try 10 more times.

I actually wonder if it isn't more productive to shoot at them rather than tip one over. If you kill an alpha female it signals all other related sub-ordinate animals to breed. Difficult to tell which ones are the young ones, and those aren't usually the trouble makers. 100 years of federal coyote control has not eradicated them, only bolstered their numbers.

Changing our behavior and learning more about theirs is gonna be way more productive in the long run than heading for the gun rack first.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:37 am

This is very sad indeed.

I would say it's because they've adapted to living in urban woods where hunting in general is not allowed. Just last night my wife is driving home from work about 11:30 on the outskirts of town but still in town along a wooded area and there standing by the side of the road she sees a coyote. At first I doubted her but when she described it as a big fox and questioned whether it was a wolf I knew right away it was a coyote. I think we'll continue to see more interactions of coyotes with humans as their population grows and no doubt we'll hear about more attacks.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:23 am

This is very sad indeed.

Look at the Chinese Panda. It will only live in a very limited type of ecosystem, only eat one type of food & has a slow birth rate. Many, many species have disappeared because they were too specialized & when their environment changed, they couldn't adapt & thus disappeared.[/align] [/align]The Coyote on the other hand is a true evolutionary success story. They are not specialized & have a fast birthrate. They are aggressively opportunistic & will eat anything, anywhere. Additionally, with very limited numbers of eagles, wolves, pumas & grizzlies ... they're not subject to predation ... why wouldn't they be all over the place?[/align] [/align]Additionally, as Squirrelhawker pointed out, many rural & suburban folks are inadvertently putting out the Welcome sign for yotes. If you allow them to find food once at your farm or house ... "they'll be back." [/align]

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:28 am

ORIGINAL: jrobinson91

I dont find it hard to believe. I was chased by a pack of coyotes when i was about 11 or 12 years old. Ive shot everyone ive seen since then.

I wouldn't worry too much, Coyotes don't always come out on top!

Challenger

Postby Challenger » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:36 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

Don't know if you all saw this or not but thought it was something worth posting.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091028/ap_on_re_ca/cn_canada_coyote_attack
A lot of us deal with coyotes so please keep this in mind.

There is something screwy here & certainly missing facts. Just about every coyote I've ever come across took off the minute you looked at them & kept looking over their shoulder until they were gone.

Outside of "tales" of people relating stories that they've heard 3rd or 4th hand I've never read a "documented" story of any coyote attack except on very small children. HOWEVER, to put that in perspective, 3 to 4 million children are bitten by dogs every year. So your kid is millions of times more likely to be bitten by the family pooch, than a coyote.

Not to sound cavaliar, but it sounds like she was feeding coyotes who have lost their fear of humans, because of feeding, and ran out of food! Tragic incident, but nothing to be concerned about. With rare exceptions, when you leave wild animals alone, they leave you alone. Just saying.
There are none so blind as those who will not see. Jonathan Swift, 1738

NRA Life Member

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News