Coyotes kill 19 year old woman

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Goose

RE: Coyotes kill 19 year old woman

Postby Goose » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:00 am

I agree with you, but still think it would be foolish to blow this off and not learn anything from it.
I don't think coyotes are gonna end human existence but I feel we as hunters have to deal with coyotes more regularly and should not take their general fear of humans for granted.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:14 pm

They don't bother me during daylight hours, but they do bother me if I am on the ground walking around, or sitting against my favorite in the pre-dawn.
Coyote, like all nocturnal predators, feel more brazen at night, using darkness as an ally.
If they will track and hunt a 200 lb buck in the dark, they will have no problem with a man who can't see very well and run even worse.
Just my opinion. I hate hearing them howl in the dark. Sends chills up my spine. When they get quiet, it means their gettin' busy, and are trailing something.
Or someone.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

WIbuckchaser

Postby WIbuckchaser » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:38 pm

Now I'm definitely shooting every one I see.

vt_archer

Postby vt_archer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:27 pm

We have three dogs, two ridgebacks and a jack russell.. occasionally, when I let them out at night, the three of them will charge up the hill after whatever is on the property.. and then you will hear the dogs going crazy and coyotes yipping at the edge of our property (where the next door neighbors farm/electirc fence/cattle are)... that's when I grab the Bushmaster, head-lamp and head up the hill.

As soon as I leave the windward side of the house, they coyotes trail off.. my only concern is for the little guy who acts like he weighs 150 pounds, but going back along the opportunist ideal, they don't seem to want to deal with the three of them (or the two ridgebacks to get to the little guy).. if I'm ever fortunate to get one in the beam of my Surefire, I'd kill it without a second thought

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:31 pm

ORIGINAL: vt_archer

We have three dogs, two ridgebacks and a jack russell.. occasionally, when I let them out at night, the three of them will charge up the hill after whatever is on the property.. and then you will hear the dogs going crazy and coyotes yipping at the edge of our property (where the next door neighbors farm/electirc fence/cattle are)... that's when I grab the Bushmaster, head-lamp and head up the hill.

As soon as I leave the windward side of the house, they coyotes trail off.. my only concern is for the little guy who acts like he weighs 150 pounds, but going back along the opportunist ideal, they don't seem to want to deal with the three of them (or the two ridgebacks to get to the little guy).. if I'm ever fortunate to get one in the beam of my Surefire, I'd kill it without a second thought

You might do well to kill those Coyotes ASAP as it sounds like you have a potentially dangerous situation on your hands. It is quite possible for your Jack Russell to run into those yotes when he's alone & he might not hesitate to attack them.

I had a 105 lb German Sheppard & a 90 lb Doberman. My neighbors Jack Russell would often come over to play with them & he'd often give them hell. That dog was nuts, but many small dogs are like that. But it won't end well if he tangles with a yote.

I'm sure you're not taking the situation lightly, but it could be potentially more dangerous than you think. I wish the little guy well.

Previous

Return to Breaking News