First Idaho Wolves Killed

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Ole

RE: First Idaho Wolves Killed

Postby Ole » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:26 am

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

I can't believe that in 2009 we still have bottom feeders that want to kill such a magnificent animal. Many anthropologist believe man's mutual beneficial association between (cave) men & wolves is in part responsible for the success of mankind in those early days when man was the prey, more often than the hunter.[8|]

I have been hunting for 40 years & have shot everything from woodchucks to Elk. There are plenty of animals that we can hunt while we get back to & enjoy nature & the wilderness. Spending 2 to 5 days by yourself while hunting in the wilderness resets your physique and allows you to further endure civilization.[:D]

Isn't that enough without killing one of God's greatest creations? We hunt for recreation, not because we have to. Do you really have to kill a wolf because there's one less deer or four fewer rabbits? You have to really question your motives if you find it necessary to kill a creature that in all probability is smarter than you.[8|]

And what would your reaction be if "The Society for the Preservation of the Great Northeastern Spotted Barking Woodchuck" (not a real group...at least I hope) tried telling you that you're killing "such a magnificent animal"? You've hunted woodchuck for sport, I assume. Are you going to just lay down your weapon and say, "Oh...okay...sorry about the woodchucks."? Why does it seem that there are so many out there that have this maniacal view of "What I hunt is fine, what you hunt is stupid"?
Ole
Roberts, WI
U.S.A.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:06 am

Reply to Ole:[8|]
And what would your reaction be if "The Society for the Preservation of the Great Northeastern Spotted Barking Woodchuck" (not a real group...at least I hope) tried telling you that you're killing "such a magnificent animal"? You've hunted woodchuck for sport, I assume. Are you going to just lay down your weapon and say, "Oh...okay...sorry about the woodchucks."? Why does it seem that there are so many out there that have this maniacal view of "What I hunt is fine, what you hunt is stupid"?

Rightly, or wrongly, I consider the wolf to be one of God's greatest creations; along with the Siberian Tiger, Bald Eagle, etc. On the other hand, I put wood chucks in the vermin category with deer not far behind.

Thus, your criticism of my position is perfectly legitimate and I apologize to anyone I may have offended in my zeal to save a magnificent and favorite predator.

Thank you

Ole

Postby Ole » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:43 am

I'm not looking for a right or wrong answer here; I'm just trying to interject perspective into the discussion (i.e. Ford vs Chevy, Matthews vs Hoyt, chunky peanut butter vs creamy peanut butter, etc.).

Whatever you hunt, good luck out there!
Ole
Roberts, WI
U.S.A.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:44 am

Reply to Ole, Post #32

FORD ... MATTHEWS ... CHUNKY ... [;)]

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:53 pm

If wolves are a problem in any state they should be managed, as with any game.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:03 pm

At least we agree on Mathews....
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

want2hunt

Postby want2hunt » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:33 pm

Let's all remember nobody is suggesting wiping out the wolves, only to manage a species that is obviously in need of management. I know last year in northern MN we saw almost as many wolf tracks as deer tracks.

This year the DNR changed our area from 5 deer to 2 deer, I'm sure it'd be easier to manage the wolves through hunting them than to manage the effect they have on the rest of wildlife.

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:58 pm

I agree with Mathews and chunky....

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:29 am

I don't know what's happening with you young whippersnappers ... in my day ...

cellophane tape was spelled: Scotch
potatoes were spelled: Idaho
and pickup truck was spelled: FORD

wack

Postby wack » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:52 am

Good grief. That's the trouble with just using "spell check" & not photo proofing your letter. "Physique" is spelled right ... it just happens to be the wrong word ... I meant to say "resets your psyche."

LMAO,  Monkey see monkey do. I wasn't picking on your spelling or choice of words, we both had the wrong word. lol My point was simply sitting in a sterile woods that has no animals in it is a real bummer. I know, I've hunted in a place that deer were over populated which became under populated in just a couple short years.

I agree with some of what mighty says, wolves are a majestic animal, they are very smart and effective predators but not smarter than humans, and a long time ago mother nature did fine with out humans managing wildlife.

News flash, our natural food chain is way too screwed up not to manage the food chain. Again, not to wipe out the wolves but to make sure they survive. I challenge any and every "save the wolves" people to now save the rest of the animals that wolves require to feed upon. Elk, bison, moose, caribou....these are the wolves favorite foods, not white tail deer. Deer are just a small part of the menu and a problem in many states is the forest can not feed enough deer to support human hunting and all the predators that have been saved already. In Northern Wisconsin we have deer bears and wolves. When the deer are all gone, the bears and wolves will disappear too. Wolves start feeding on domestic animals, humans retaliate and we're back to square one making the same mistakes we made in the past 200 years.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News