This is disgusting

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Sailfish

This is disgusting

Postby Sailfish » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:54 am

Officials say group poached more than 17 deer

T'was the night before Thanksgiving when law enforcement officers from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) got a call about a situation that would turn out to be one of the worst cases of willful and wanton waste of wildlife they had ever seen.
Less than a month later, the State Attorney's Office for the Seventh Judicial Circuit in Flagler County agreed and charged five people, including two juveniles, with more than 50 criminal counts of wildlife law violations, most first-degree misdemeanors.
"This is the largest deer poaching case in Flagler County I've seen in my career with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission," said Capt. Gregg Eason, FWC area supervisor.
Near midnight on Nov. 26, FWC Officer Eric Meade responded to a call at John Campbell Drive off Highway 100 in Flagler County. The property owner had reported four recently shot deer piled up at a hunt camp on his property.
He found the dead deer a little earlier that evening after he and two of his employees had followed fresh tire tracks to the hunt camp. After they found the still-warm deer, he called 911 and drove out to the main road to wait for law enforcement. While they waited, they heard a shot coming from somewhere on the private property.
When FWC Officer Meade and Flagler County Deputy Doug Cottam arrived, they drove out to the hunt camp with the property owner and saw a pile of dead deer stacked up behind a truck, along with two males and a female standing together.
The two males, one a juvenile, said they had shot and killed seven deer on the property beginning at 9 that morning and ending well after dark. They used three different rifles and two spotlights to kill the five yearlings, one doe and one four-point buck that lay before the officers in a mangled pile of flesh and blood. All of the deer were killed illegally, because they were either shot at night with a gun and light or they were antlerless deer.
The suspects also told officers they shot at numerous other deer that night but didn't know how many or if they hit any of the others. And they told officers about other deer they had killed before that night and also outside the law.
Ultimately the two-week investigation which began the night before Thanksgiving, resulted in three additional males, including another juvenile, being charged with more than 50 wildlife law violations.
Below is a list of the adult defendants and the charges they are facing, and the charges against the juveniles.
Tracy G. Coates, 18, DOB 2/4/1990, 26 Lewisdale Lane, Palm Coast, is charged with unlawful taking of antlerless deer; taking deer at night with a gun and light; taking deer by an illegal method; willful and wanton waste of wildlife; contributing to the delinquency of a minor; and taking wildlife from a road right-of-way.
Dalton James Lanich, 18, DOB 6/2/1990, 563 County Road 200, Bunnell, is charged with taking deer at night with a gun and light; and willful and wanton waste of wildlife.
Dustin Sanders, 22, DOB 8/13/1986, 215 Main St., Espanola, is charged with unlawful taking of antlerless deer; taking deer at night with a gun and light; and taking wildlife from a road right-of-way.
In addition to the three adults, two juveniles from Bunnell, ages 17 and 15, were charged with several wildlife law violations including the unlawful taking of antlerless deer; taking deer at night with a gun and light; conspiracy; and willful and wanton waste of wildlife.
The charges all stem from illegal activity from November 2007 through November 2008.
[/align]
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

danesdad

RE: This is disgusting

Postby danesdad » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:07 am

It is disturbing that the people involved were so young. It sounds like they have no respect for the resource and probably never will.

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:29 am

It truely is sad, that people to do s**t like this!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:56 am

Wow!  The sin nature of man really is displayed here.  It makes me sad for the deer, but also sad for these young people.  Hopefully they will change their ways.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:42 am

This seems to just be an illustration of the way of the world today, corporate greed, the sense of entitlement, and this feeling that anyone can do whatever they wish to do. It`s all actually a little frightening.

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:44 am

I lived in Florida for 13 years, people just ain't right down there.  I don't know if it is the sun, the heat, or the hurricanes.  You get away from the tourist traps, turn down the wrong road and you're in suddenly in an area that makes "Deliverance" look like "Snow White" in comparison...pull out your banjos and join in.  Folks in the Florida "country" define the term "redneck".  These "normally" unusual acts don't surprise me at all since they happened in Florida.
NRA Life Member

The Second Amendment should have been the First Amendment, because without the Second Amendment, there would be no other rights.

Jdbllung

Postby Jdbllung » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:07 am

These jerks got caught and that is a great thing, maximum penaltys should be handed down, but they wont.  The sad thing is there are plenty more jerks that have filled their spot.  I have strong feelings on poaching for personal reasons and I don't feel penaltys are severe enough.  To me this act was no different than the Michael Vick thing and if your not involved in hunting or the outdoors, you would never know about this story.
Happiness is a good blood trail! Jeremy W.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:52 am

Ugh...Makes me sick!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

saoirseglen

Postby saoirseglen » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:30 pm

The only reason I might ever be tempted to hunt out of season is for utter survival if there is nothing else that I can eat and there is no other food available (which would have to be rather hard and terrible times). That people that young get a kick out of doing that just astounds me.

I don't know what to else to say other than I am even having a hard time wrapping my head around such an act.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:33 am

hmmmmm.  Not very smart folks were they!!! 
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Next

Return to Breaking News