Land Access Cited as Top Problem

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
retiredsailor

RE: Land Access Cited as Top Problem

Postby retiredsailor » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:49 am

First off, I must admit that I haven't read this entire forum, since it is fairly lengthy. Therefore, my comment may already have been mentioned, if so, sorry to bring it up again.
It seems to me that I read, sometime in the past, about the state DNR (or whatever it is called in your state), working out a deal with landowners, whereby the landowners get something in return for allowing a certain number of folks to hunt their property. Perhaps it is a break on their property taxes, or some such renumeration. This makes sense and, if properly managed, could open a good deal of land for 'public' hunting. Of course, there has to be some rules and regulations associated with this, but that shouldn't be a major roadblock.
I would think that the additional hunting licenses, tags, fees, etc., may even help to offset
the loss of these tax revenues. Such a program would also work to cull the necessary numbers from the deer herd.
Just a thought.

jess318

Postby jess318 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:28 am

Great advice Powell1120. Thank you.

Powell1120

Postby Powell1120 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:53 am

In the last week I have had conversations with two different land owners and the conversations were earily similar. The first was the owner of the land that borders one of the farms I already have permission to hunt. We were back in the timber looking for a deer that I had liver shot and I could not help but notice the amount of beds, scrapes, rubs, and well used trails that ran accross his property. I told him that that it looked like he had a ton of animals through there and he mentioned that him and wife had not hunted the property wince '69 and that there were only two hunter since and that ended about 10 years ago. I asked him if he would let a guy hunt back there, his response was that he has no problem with hunting, Its the people that nhave no respect for the owners. The two guys that last hunted hte place started out as one guy, once he ws in there be begged and pleaded to get his buddy access too and got it. On the farm is still the old family house that the owner grew up in, which is where the lack of respect comes in. His mother never like people shooting deer, just her preference so he still respects that even thoug she has since passed. the parcell that is affected is maybe only 10% of the property. The to hunters both shot does and dressed them on the front Lawn! Needless to say that ended their access.

The other was an Iowa DNR employee that I deal with at work. Her and her husband own some land, not sure about the exact size of the property but the way she described it, it sounds like a little piece of heaven to me. We got to talking about hunters and land access issues and she started telling me what had happened to her. She had given 1 guy permission, and he too then began to lobby for his son and son's friend and ended up talking her into it. She said that before the season was out they new cars on their lane almost every week. They ended up having to call the local sherriff's department twice to have people removed because they refused to leave, claiming that they had been given permission to be there. Come to find out, they had been given permission, but not by her or her husband. They later found out that that friend of the son. started giving his permission to people to come out. She said that untill her grand kids are of age to hunt, NO ONE will hunt that ground again.

Land access is tough enough to gain without having to pay for these days. If you are lucky enough to get access don't screw it up by not respecting the wishes of the owner, after all you are a guest at their home. And just because you were given access don't assume that the owner is ok with there being a whole gang of folks out there. A lot the folks that live in the rural communities, at least around here are generally nice people, don't take advantage of that and ruin it for every one. Besides isn't it nice to knwo yo are the only one hunting a place?

By the way I am gonna brag a little, The first owner I spoke of ended up giving me permission to bow hunt starting next season and My wife permission to hunt this december in the shotgun season. Now I have access from the river out almost 3/4 of a mile. And that guys land holds all the bucks that I was trying to hunt on the neighboring farm. HUGE pick up for me. Excited? Yea you could say that![:D]

shrubs5

Postby shrubs5 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:10 pm

Having a problem. Havent shot any does out of the woods i hunt in 5 years have a group of 10 or so staying around people are seeing them and asking to hunt. Didnt have this problem till this year because the farmer usely dont let people go but he seems to not care who goes anymore. Have cot people hunting that didnt ask told the farmer didnt seem to care what would u do?

Paul Blackburn

Postby Paul Blackburn » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:32 pm

I agree. I hunt public land, here in Ark.. The problem is getting to the deer , because the gates are locked, and getting to the deer is a far distance to travel -- caring a climbing stick,hang on stand ,pack, bow. The gates were previousely open,but because of other problems they locked the gates,and made new ones. We are the ones that love the sport of archery, and care for the woods and water,and we need total access to that land to do what our licenses allows us to do. Just like a farmer drives through his land we need total freedom to do just that.I have hunted all my life here in Arkansas, with this ridicules gate laws in what is supose to be bow hunting only areas. None-the-less,they have youth gun hunts,and permits gun hunts every season in these bowhunting only area every season. It is our kind ,the game and fish comm. that are hurting us public land hunters the most One can have access to hunt,but when gates block the way,itjust as weel be posted!
Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn

Postby Paul Blackburn » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:51 pm

The People that are buying lodges ,and asking hunters to spend 4-5 thousand dollars to hunt is going tho be , and is the worst thing that has happened to bow hunting/ hunting America. These people are buying and going to farmers and getting huge tracks of land, and now in 2011, public land hunting may be all that is left. I for one will never pay to hunt free roming game, and for that ridicuouse amount of money.
Paul Blackburn

Previous

Return to Breaking News