Land Access Cited as Top Problem

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Sailfish

RE: Land Access Cited as Top Problem

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:23 am

Here is a link to the DDH Florida section
There was a study released on FL and available land and projections by 2060.
Just today was yet another press release on the State of Florida and proposed budget cuts that affect our land. A couple of them are very serious.

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=21973

Hopefully everyone can be aware because I am afraid in the name of $$$$ many other states may suffer the same potential set-backs.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Michael Denehy

Postby Michael Denehy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:25 am

I am both a hunter who owns land and hunts on someone else's private land.  I let my brother hunt my land but I restrict others.  Here is why......my land is in NY and if someone hunts my land and gets hurt I am up a well know tributary with no means of propulsion.  I have a liability waiver for others to sign but that seems to upset some of my friends.  They give me the, 'Do you really think I would sue you?' look when I present them the paperwork.  To answer this hypotheitcal question, no, I don't think they would.  But what about the mother of his son?  What about his parents?  What about his children who now have no way of paying for college?  Just because your buddy won't be the one to sue you does not mean you won't get sued.

It really is a sad state of affairs we live in here in NY but the fact is that landowners have no choice but to limit their legal liabilities.  If not, everything I work for could be gone with one mistep from a tree stand.  I know someone who sued a department store for 'emtional damage' because she walked into the glass doors and she WON.  We all know people who make a living suing others and/ or otherwise ripping off the system. 

Next year, I am allowing people hunt my land only if they do the following: show me proof of medical nisurance that covers hunting accidents and sign the liability waiver.  I hate ot be a hard case but NY litigation is NY litigation and it makes the rest of us suffer.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:09 am

I agree it is a sad situation but you gotta do what you gotta do. It would be irresponsible of you not to do it now a days.

Through my experience its still done on your word around here but I've heard and read about what you do.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Artemis

Postby Artemis » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:36 am

Goose, the land in our area is going for $6000 an acre! Our hunting group is trying to buy, but at those prices and in this economy, it's tough. But as they say, Land is your best investment, and they aren't making any more of it!

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:59 am

Yeah their not ripping down buildings to put up farmland much anymore.....
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Artemis

Postby Artemis » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:03 am

We've noticed an increasing trend for strip-malls being built on woodlots and farmland. 90% sit empty for years and years..... Call me stupid, but does anyone know what are the financial gains are to the owners?? How long can they claim loss?
I'd love to see buildings torn down for wildlife/habitat restoration!
We hunt what little land we do own, and we're dealing with all of the problems that everyone else has talked about here. Some relatives and neighbors came here and hunted without asking just cause they used to hunt here 20 years ago. Then we go to hunt and wonder why there's no deer. These same ones also have never shared the meat or offered to help around the farm. Talk about PeeYaOff! 
We had alot more people than in the past ask us for persmission this year, but there's only so much room and viable hunting spots. We always thank them for asking anyway.
What's worked for us to get permission to hunt private land: Stop by the farm during "working" hours. Most people don't care for phone calls or someone knocking on their door at supper time. Be presentable. I'm not talking suits here, but at least clean clothes. Also, hunting clothing gets some people on the defensive right away. Offer to help with harvesting crops, etc., sharing the meat, and/or paying to hunt there. Also, I'd sign liability waivers if they ask.  You'll still get "no's", but some "yes's", and you'll show that we're ethical hunters, not poachers trying to sneak in.

Centralwisconsinland

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am

Back in the seventies hunted a farm in NW Waushara County in Wisconsin.  Hunted that property for 8 years, always stopped in to pay my respects to Ed and Charlotte and let them know my hunting plans when I would be on thier property, offered to help with haying, and after the season drop off a box of chocolates or a fruit basket and a case of Point Beer. It was a great relationship, well the winter of "79" Ed had a cow fall on him, he refused to go to a doctor, and about a week and half later he died of internal bleeding.  Charlotte and Steve, the son, wished to keep farming but the inheritance tax forced them to sell and move into town.  The tax law has since changed, a couple of times.  Any way that forced me to hunt public land since the new owners were avid deer hunters.  Through the eighties hunted the public land mid week was always the best. Got tired of being walked over and disturbed on the weekends and during the rifle season.  Lucky enough to purchase the land that I have now, 20 years ago. Purchased it from a farmer who fell on hard times.

Never say never, if you have been thinking of buying land, buy it.  Think about the economy I bet there are some deals out there if you look for them.  Talk to your hunting partners each buy a share, talk to the sellers about a land contract.  There are ways that a 401k can purchase and own the land.  Good credit requires 5%-10% down at 6.5% to 7% interest.  Find a way, offer the seller what you are willing to pay, you might be surprised. You never know unless you try. 

It's easier to do a job right the first time than to explain why you didn't.

Centralwisconsinland

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:07 am

Just re-read my post, thought I should qualify that the purchase of the land 20 years ago was a win/win situation.  We got hunting land, and the farmer got working capital to continue farming, as he is doing today.
It's easier to do a job right the first time than to explain why you didn't.

dewey

Postby dewey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:16 am

I have been hunting in NW Minnesota for about 5 years and last year I went to the county office and got a plat book and then went around and asked farmers and landowners if it were OK to hunt on their land.  I had a lot of people tell me no because they already hunt but they would then point me in the direction of another farmer/neighbor.  I ended up getting permission from a very nice farmer and all he requested was that I stay out of his fields and come by every year to make sure that it is still OK.  I am going to be sending him a gift card for the great privilege.  The land is about 100 acres of farmland right next to the Red River, to me it is the perfect place.  I plan on going up again this year a day early to talk to more farmers and to make sure that the original farmer is still Ok with me hunting there.
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

wack

Postby wack » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:09 am

I was spoiled for many years. Had A friend who rented a house on 80 acres. He had permission to hunt it year round except the 1st 4 days of gun season. I did a lot of work on stands, food plots, water holes, ect. and we prided ourselves for setting up the land lord with what he wanted. Trophy bucks. We harvested the doe and culled the herd. When we started, a 2 year old buck with busted up rack was the normal "trophy". The last few years, the land lord had big beautiful 4+ year old bucks to choose from, and they took home some very nice deer. With the improvements we made in habitat and herd control on just 80 acres the land lord got an offer he couldn't resist and sold it. Sold it 1 week prior to gun season, 2007. No warning, no for sale signs, just told we had 1 week to remove our temp. stands and blinds, the permanent stands we built, with our lumber, had to stay.
 Since we never hunted opening weekend anyways, I was used to going up north to public land. That was the 2nd year that wolves had been in the public area we hunted, 2nd year we didn't see any deer up there.
 With out that land to bow hunt, I start exploring public land nearby. I find public hunting grounds with soy beans planted on most of it. Should be good bow hunting for early season, but too many other hunters, and neighbors are ag tag hunting year round. Come fall, the beans were harvested. Deer go to standing corn instead. Farmers Ag Tag the deer, then harvest the corn. Now what few deer are left on public hunting grounds are facing the 2nd harsh winter in a row with no food left on public or private land, and there are more deer in the towns and cities than on DNR public hunting grounds.
 What's wrong with this picture? Oshkosh just hired sharp shooters to kill 40 deer living in Oshkosh. 15 mile away, on public hunting grounds, there are no deer. If they put those 40 deer on public hunting grounds right now, they'd all starve to death before spring.
 As A hunter, I'd like to do for public land what I did for the private land. Even planting beans and leaving them there would be better than what's going on right now. Many other Winnebago county public grounds are planted with tall grasses. Seems to be the cheap, all purpose DNR habitat restoration. Better than cash crops, but not what's needed, at least not in the quantities they currently are. Deer are not lacking in bedding areas and farmers don't mind deer sleeping on there land. It's the eating part they don't like and the deer should go to public land to eat. Year around.
 Every one of us needs to look around and see what we can do to improve hunting in your area. If we can draw attention to problems maybe we can get them fixed. 
American by birth, hunter by choice.

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News