Land Access Cited as Top Problem

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
QDMAMAN

RE: Land Access Cited as Top Problem

Postby QDMAMAN » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:03 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

Leasing is causing lot`s of private land that might have been available to the average guy to be out of play.

Between the loss of habitat and hunting land to both commercial and residential development, and the poor quality of hunts on public land, hunters everywhere had better be concerned with doing something to make more quality land accessible.

Couldn't agree more hunter480,
The lease I now have was previously occupied by "average guys" the problem was that it was suppose to be 1 "average guy", not 5, on 11 acres.  The property owner lived out of state and when he found out he revoked their "rights".  It was after 4 years of no hunting on that property that he was exploring ways of offsetting the tax burden and he offered it (unsolicited) to me an "average guy".  The original "average guy" had a free ride and abused the PRIVELAGE and therefore took the parcel "out of play" for himself without any assistance by others.

Concerning the rest of your quote...I put a high premium on my hunting recreation and therefore have made owning property a priority.  I now drive 45 minutes each way to work so I can own my little slice of deer hunting heaven (19 acres).  Nobody will be developing that parcel...while I'm alive.
As long as large property owners have the option of offsetting the cost of land ownership through leasing, they will be less inclined to sell or develepe that property.  For the average guy that can't afford a large parcel, leasing one is the next best thing.  It's just a matter of priorities.

Big [font=arial]T[/font]

QDMAMAN

Postby QDMAMAN » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:47 am

DennisWalrod wrote:
Let's face it, one of the gravest threats to the freedom of the American deer hunter to hunt wherever he wants to, is the trend toward deer management for the sake of larger antlers. I speak from personal experience. I live in the country on seventy acres and have been able to walk from my backdoor (just as an example) to freely hunt over two square miles of mostly prime deer habitat. Then a couple years ago one land-owner got all horny about QDM and has encouraged adjacent land-owners to post their land. They've agreed just to shut him up (he volunteered to do all the posting). So . . . OK, I still have a square mile left to hunt and maybe I shouldn't complain, but as a still-hunter, not a tree-ambusher, I want all the range I can get.
ORIGINAL:

hunter480 wrote:
I`m with you on the qdm, mostly. Except, JPH, here on D&DH, does offer a different perspective to it. I agree most of the qdm stuff I`ve heard is simply propaganda, and is, in reality, trophy anter management, but this guy is the real deal. He`s sincere in his approach to truly managing the doe harvest to help balance the herd and protect the habitats carrying capicity.

hunter480, I don't see anything in his post where he mentions QDM.  Did I miss something.
All I see is that he's upset someone is using their property in a fashion that doesn't correspond with his prefered method of hunting.

Big [font=arial]T[/font]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:38 am

. Then a couple years ago one land-owner got all horny about QDM and has encouraged adjacent land-owners to post their land. They've agreed just to shut him up (he volunteered to do all the posting).
[/quote]

QDMAMAN

Postby QDMAMAN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:33 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

. Then a couple years ago one land-owner got all horny about QDM and has encouraged adjacent land-owners to post their land. They've agreed just to shut him up (he volunteered to do all the posting).

[/quote]

msbadger,
Not sure what the purpose of your quote is.
I've worked with several hundred private land owners that have embraced QDM practices on their properties and ZERO have done it "to shut someone up."  Who would ever give some one that kind of control over their private property rights?
My guess is that 480's relationships with his neighbors are less than spectacular otherwise he'd still have access. JMO.

Big [font=arial]T[/font]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:06 am

QDMAMA.....there was no point...other than perhaps I don't know how to do quote boxes....I happen to read you didn't see a refferance to QDM a previouse Qoute ...and I pointed it out....seriously I wasn't making a comment one way or another....but now I will....Walrod was all ticked about the posting and said they only did it to shut the guy up...so if that was the case.... Why would he not have gotten permission from those land owners after the posting?...or was he hunting the lands without permission before hand in the first place?

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:08 am

And I can't spell....[&o]

QDMAMAN

Postby QDMAMAN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:57 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

QDMAMA.....there was no point...other than perhaps I don't know how to do quote boxes....I happen to read you didn't see a refferance to QDM a previouse Qoute ...and I pointed it out....seriously I wasn't making a comment one way or another....but now I will....Walrod was all ticked about the posting and said they only did it to shut the guy up...so if that was the case.... Why would he not have gotten permission from those land owners after the posting?...or was he hunting the lands without permission before hand in the first place?

Gothca![;)]

antiqdma

Postby antiqdma » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:41 pm

Our family owns nearly 600 acres my two brothers and our kids are the only ones who hunt it. Two of us for bow and 10 for gun season. During the past 30 some odd years of hunting our land we have had different people ask premission. Years ago we always let folks hunt, only asking for alittle help around the farm, the hunting rights were granted but seldom if ever any help came our way. We started leasing out some fortys, we just asked that no nails get put in any trees. Yep more dollars worth of trees were ruined than collected for lease. Most every year someone wouldn't pay saying they didn't see enough deer. Now its just for the family. The land is respected and more help around the farm than you can imagine. I've heard comments that we should be paying hunters cause there only doing us a favor getting rid of our deer. Most of the farms around are in the same situation as us, enjoying family and our land.
I still hunt public land to lessen the pressure on ours and years when our doe population gets below where we want it we take does from public land. Were careful about what we shoot. (we make sure the bucks have at least 3 inch spikes.)

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:09 pm

Welcome antiqdma!
Thats a bold handle! LOL

Thats unfortunate that you had those bad experiences with those hunters. People like that ruin it for all the honest hunters out there who do respect the owners land and appreciate the privilege of being able to hunt on somebody else's property.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:37 pm

ORIGINAL: antiqdma

Our family owns nearly 600 acres my two brothers and our kids are the only ones who hunt it. Two of us for bow and 10 for gun season. During the past 30 some odd years of hunting our land we have had different people ask premission. Years ago we always let folks hunt, only asking for alittle help around the farm, the hunting rights were granted but seldom if ever any help came our way. We started leasing out some fortys, we just asked that no nails get put in any trees. Yep more dollars worth of trees were ruined than collected for lease. Most every year someone wouldn't pay saying they didn't see enough deer. Now its just for the family. The land is respected and more help around the farm than you can imagine. I've heard comments that we should be paying hunters cause there only doing us a favor getting rid of our deer. Most of the farms around are in the same situation as us, enjoying family and our land.
I still hunt public land to lessen the pressure on ours and years when our doe population gets below where we want it we take does from public land. Were careful about what we shoot. (we make sure the bucks have at least 3 inch spikes.)

Welcome to the forum!  Yes, that is very unfortunate what your family has experienced over the years.  Always some bad apples in every crowd.  Hope things get better from here on out!  Looking forward to more posts from you!
QDM!

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News