Injured Bucks and Their Antlers

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
dpdufrene

Injured Bucks and Their Antlers

Postby dpdufrene » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:53 am

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how a bucks antlers respond following a non fatal injury.
To give some insight on the situation. I purchased a farm in Mercer County Missouri last summer. I hunted the farm last hunting season and seen some younger bucks but passed on everything. I never had the chance to put out any game cameras last year but while doing a controlled burn during the spring I found the shed from what appeared to be a young buck with really good genetics. There were 6 points on the one side found. So this year I put out a few cameras and what do you know I have buck on camera which is undeniably the same deer who once sported the shed I found. However, the same side that once sported the shed is now really weak, slightly deformed, and only has 4 points. I am assuming he was injured last season at some point and his rack suffered from it. In the pictures I have, he now appears to be healthy so I was wondering if all my assumptions are correct could he rebound from it and his rack develop back to its full potential in the comming years provided he makes it through this season. Anyone out there have any insight on this? Here's the picture of the deer. Anyone want to give their take on his age? Sorry for making this so long, just wanted to fill you in on the whole situation.

buckhunter21

RE: Injured Bucks and Their Antlers

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:03 am

Usually, if a deer is injured before the antler growing process or during it, the antlers on the opposite side will grow a little different.  They are very capable of growing 'normal' antlers the following year as long as they no longer have that injury, so you are correct!

Best of luck, and welcome to the forum!
QDM!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:16 am

I'm really not sure you can say the antler differences are a result of injury.

But, if the pedicle of the antler was injured then most likely the antler will always be different.  If the injury occured some other place on the bucks body, then the antler may grow back as normal.

At least that's always been my understanding.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

dpdufrene

Postby dpdufrene » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:30 am

Thanks for your replies. I'm not certain how the deer was injured or if he in fact was injured. I'm simply basing that on the fact that his shed antler differs so much from what he curently has. I really hope he does make it through the season and with a little luck his antlers will grow back to their full potential.

Return to Breaking News