UV Killer

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
scottflesher

UV Killer

Postby scottflesher » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:02 pm

I'm interested on everyone's thoughts about using UV Killer. I tried it last year and couldn't tell much of a difference. I'll likely use it again this year, as I don't like the idea of being a blue blob in a tree, but am interested in any experiences you've had with it.

eagle eye

RE: UV Killer

Postby eagle eye » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:09 pm

I use dead down wind products and the laundry detergent comes with UV blocker in it. I can attest to the fact that i have had dozens of deer over the past two years with in a few yards of me and they neither detected my scent or visually saw me. I am not sure how it works i just know that it does not hurt
John Wojtas
Enjoying the moment and always striving to enhance our hunting heritage

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:33 am

This product was thouroughly debunked in my opion. The Shaman did a real nice workup on it in some prior threads. Very informative.

Shaman can probably dig up a link for this.

Ok I found it.

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm. ... 28&mpage=1
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

hereley

Postby hereley » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:58 am

never used it and have had plenty of deer around me.  I always see it at the store and consider it but I spend enough money on my hunting.  It also comes wrapped in plastic, which to me sets off alarms that it might not make you a blue blob but what if it has some scent to it deer, bear, etc. can smell? 

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:19 am

I use it because it's part of my scent free detergent.  Otherwise I wouldn't bother.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:20 am

As it relates to the UV reflection, I would agree that I have rarely had a deer "pick me off" when not moving, but turkeys and geese on the other hand.

I once had a small flock of Toms bust me from 60 yards when I was sitting in a treestand.  The funny thing was, I did not have a license and I saw them coming from well over a 100 yards.  I am sitting stone solid but when they hit an opening, they busted me.  I had no foreground cover but had a cluster of large trunked trees to my back.  Same trail, this time deer, never even batted an eyelash.

I bought some of the UV Killer, applied it and a week later had an entire flock of birds literally all around my stand.  Not so much as a putt.

Coincidence, I think not!  Same time, same year, same untreated camo but this time goose hunting.  Early season, opening day (dumb birds), well scouted field.  First group coming in, start to set their landing gear down only to flare at 100 yardsish.   My partner accuses me of moving, but I hadn't.  The next week, wiser birds, similiar setup, birds came right to the decoys, game over.

I am sold!  At least with the birds UV vision.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:12 pm

Regardless if it works or not, you shouldn't even have to use this if you use unscented laundry soap with uv killer in it.  Just my two cents!
QDM!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:38 am

That would be true, but most over the counter commercial laundry detergents, scent free or otherwise, do have UV enhancers and brightners in them.  I wouldn't mind getting a list of those that don't if you have one.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:32 pm

I use it, basically because a hunting veteran told me to many years ago, and I just can't let it go. Like Shaman said, rituals are important!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:40 pm

I'll probably go ahead and give it a go this year. I have always washed clothes in sent free hunting soap, but until last year i didn't spray on the UV Killer application afterwards. I agree with Shaman and nhdeerchaser, I like the idea of thinking i'm invisible, even if it costs me a few extra bucks. Mental confidence will keep me in the stand longer.

Next

Return to Breaking News