Several States to Liberalize Crossbow Usage

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
fasteddie

RE: Several States to Liberalize Crossbow Usage

Postby fasteddie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:27 pm

It's hard to tell who is from what state as many members don't show what state they are from ......Maybe they don't know how to update a Profile . Who knows ??????????
I don't need someone from where ever , parts unknown to tell us what we should do in New York State . Take care of your own business in your state .
Semper Fi !

JChurch

Postby JChurch » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:56 pm

I don't visit the site for awhile and this is what I come back to? Who cares what kind of weapon you use as long as you get out there and hunt,I would use a spear if they had a season for it and it meant I could spend more time in the woods hunting, what's so wrong with crossbows if it gets more people hunting which in turn gives us more support against the anti's who want to take everything away from all of us. If we don't agree with a form of hunting that's fine but don't take it away from them because then your doing the anti's job for them and all they have to do is sit back and watch.

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:06 pm

ORIGINAL: Corey Graff

[font="arial"]Several States to Liberalize Crossbow Usage
The Louisiana legislature handed Governor Bobby Jindal Senate Bill 165 recently -- a bill amending the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries regulation on crossbow use. That bill passed, renewing debate among bow-hunters about crossbow use for deer hunting.

The new regulation allows the LDWF commission to "establish the following special deer hunting seasons: (1) a bow and arrow only season, and (2) a bow and arrow and crossbow season."  The commission will also have the responsibility for regulating the length of the special seasons and determining the areas for approved hunting. Prior to passage of this bill, only hunters who qualified for a handicap permit or hunters age 60 and older could use crossbows.

South Carolina to Redefine Archery Equipment
Legislation loosening crossbow regulations are also pending in South Carolina under Senate Bill 691.  If approved as written, this bill will define archery equipment as "a bow and arrow, a long bow, a recurve bow, a compound bow, or a crossbow."

Crossbow manufacturers see the shift as a way to move product into an expanding market -- while expanding hunting opportunity.
[/font]
[font="arial"]"Our goal at TenPoint Crossbow Technologies is to be a world class manufacturer of products that are recognized as an industry standard for safety, precision engineering, durability, performance and power," [/font][font="arial"]said Rick Bednar, CEO of TenPoint Crossbow Technologies. [/font][font="arial"]"We are committed to the care and conservation of our land, water and air; to the humane and responsible management of our wildlife and to the preservation and expansion of recreational shooting and hunting."
[/font]

[:D][:D][:D]Where exactly does this mention New York???[:D][:D][:D]

BTW this is a quote from the starting post in case you don't recognize it........

I'm not getting in an argument here. Just pointing out something I thought to be ridiculous and sadly funny.....so I'll take care of my business in my own state...[:D][:D][:D]
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:45 pm

ORIGINAL: JChurch

I don't visit the site for awhile and this is what I come back to? Who cares what kind of weapon you use as long as you get out there and hunt,I would use a spear if they had a season for it and it meant I could spend more time in the woods hunting, what's so wrong with crossbows if it gets more people hunting which in turn gives us more support against the anti's who want to take everything away from all of us. If we don't agree with a form of hunting that's fine but don't take it away from them because then your doing the anti's job for them and all they have to do is sit back and watch.

Over my cold and dead body will I allow anyone to pollute my archery season with the use of a spear. Have you any idea of the ballistic advantages of a spear?
Not to mention the size hole they make.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:48 pm

ORIGINAL: passin through

ORIGINAL: Corey Graff

[font="arial"]Several States to Liberalize Crossbow Usage
The Louisiana legislature handed Governor Bobby Jindal Senate Bill 165 recently -- a bill amending the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries regulation on crossbow use. That bill passed, renewing debate among bow-hunters about crossbow use for deer hunting.

The new regulation allows the LDWF commission to "establish the following special deer hunting seasons: (1) a bow and arrow only season, and (2) a bow and arrow and crossbow season."  The commission will also have the responsibility for regulating the length of the special seasons and determining the areas for approved hunting. Prior to passage of this bill, only hunters who qualified for a handicap permit or hunters age 60 and older could use crossbows.

South Carolina to Redefine Archery Equipment
Legislation loosening crossbow regulations are also pending in South Carolina under Senate Bill 691.  If approved as written, this bill will define archery equipment as "a bow and arrow, a long bow, a recurve bow, a compound bow, or a crossbow."

Crossbow manufacturers see the shift as a way to move product into an expanding market -- while expanding hunting opportunity.
[/font]
[font="arial"]"Our goal at TenPoint Crossbow Technologies is to be a world class manufacturer of products that are recognized as an industry standard for safety, precision engineering, durability, performance and power," [/font][font="arial"]said Rick Bednar, CEO of TenPoint Crossbow Technologies. [/font][font="arial"]"We are committed to the care and conservation of our land, water and air; to the humane and responsible management of our wildlife and to the preservation and expansion of recreational shooting and hunting."
[/font]

[:D][:D][:D]Where exactly does this mention New York???[:D][:D][:D]

BTW this is a quote from the starting post in case you don't recognize it........

I'm not getting in an argument here. Just pointing out something I thought to be ridiculous and sadly funny.....so I'll take care of my business in my own state...[:D][:D][:D]

Hey I came in the thread late but I don't see any reason not to discuss the issue in the light of other states regs. It's sort of what a forum is for.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:02 am

JChurch,
There is a spear season in Alabama. It runs concurrent to the archery season (Oct 15 through Jan 31)and the limit is two a day. One of my buddies actually bought a spear head about two years ago. I never heard that he got a deer though. I was thinking of opening a thread the other day to see if any other states allow this. No, I don't want to hunt with a spear..archery tackle is tough enough for me.

wack

Postby wack » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:34 am

Well that was some volley across my bow..attacking my spelling...you'd been better off attacking my typing skills or the fact that I can't get spell check to work on this sight... but thats OK...it shows integrity ...I must say that you may want to turn those suggestions unto your self for if YOU were to spend more time implementing those suggestions instead of bantering with ppl who prefer no CB's.... ppl may not be so jaded towards CB legislation ...and yes JA was derogatory in nature and NO I never referred to you or all bow hunters as camo clad sneaky JA's ...just the ones that do sneak unlawful things....but your quickness to be self denigrating shows you have personal issues to this regard.... this is truely a know where thread so I'll end ...feel free to take another parting shot

I'm sorry about the spelling remark. I also have trouble with spell checking, but try this: right click, scroll down to spell checking and turn it OFF. Then right click, scroll down and turn on spell check again. If you do this at the end of writing, at least for me it resets the spell checker and get's it to work. My spelling aint so hot either, half the time even spell checker can't figure out what I'm trying to spell. lol

My vocabulary isn't very good either. What does "denigrating " mean? Honestly, do I have issues in this regard? I don't know but I'm open to criticism to better myself by. I try to keep on the positive side of things. When I see a fellow hunter hurting another fellow hunter I try to understand why and come up with a solution to get both hunters and both sides reasons to get a long. It's like a big brother thing. You are my brother, everyone here is my brother.

In this case, I see one brother mad at a bunch of brothers for something a cousin has done. The one brother makes the other brothers mad when the one brother should be working with the other brothers to go get cousin in line. Don't punish those who would choose a CB for something others have done. The more brothers you have, the better we can stand together so when someone trespasses or poaches your property or threaten your land and wildlife, you have a whole lot of brothers standing behind you ready to back you up. When the question comes up in your state, I hope to consvince you for a yes vote and would at least hope for you not to vote rather than a NO vote.

Squirrel wrote, "It isn't always about us. It's about the sport and it's future. About what we'll leave for our kids. I look at an issue like the CB and the first things that cross my mind are: How can we take advantage of this? How many new hunters (statewide, not in just my little corner) will join the sport? How many of them will be youngsters? How will my local economy benefit?

AMEN!

Sorry for high jacking the thread, Louisiana and South Carolina, good job! Alabama and spearing deer? What ever trips your trigger, but, you should probably require proof of health and life insurance, wouldn't want the state to have to pick up the tab to bury you or put you back together. [:-] Maybe a good way to thin the herd on both ends, give a nut a spear, send him into the swamp and see if he comes back. lol

WISCONSIN, PAY ATTENTION! Warnke says the DNR has to lower the deer numbers because we wont have enough hunters to do the job in the future. We can study pro CB states and use there momentum to help ourselves.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:56 am

Over my cold and dead body will I allow anyone to pollute my archery season with the use of a spear. Have you any idea of the ballistic advantages of a spear?

This could be another tool to bring more hunters into the woods, increase the economy, someone else to stand by your side against the antis etc, ect. Interesting knee jerk reaction you had..... Same as some of the people opposed to crossbows perhaps? Interesting....

"I guess that is the fundamental difference between hunters like you, and hunters like myself,smoothbore, wack, woodswalker,etc. It isn't always about us. It's about the sport and it's future. About what we'll leave for our kids. I look at an issue like the CB and the first things that cross my mind are: How can we take advantage of this? How many new hunters (statewide, not in just my little corner) will join the sport? How many of them will be youngsters? How will my local economy benefit?"
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:11 am

I know I said I was done...but you asked a ?...

to denigrate (third-person singular simple present denigrates, present participle denigrating, simple past and past participle denigrated)
[ol][*](transitive) To criticise so as to besmirch; traduce, disparage or defame.
[*](transitive) To treat as worthless; belittle, degrade or disparage.
[*](rare) To blacken. [/ol]
Also I'll say thank you for the tip on spell check......As well as... to say in life... showing others that you can give and take on a position usually opens the door to new posibilities...as I suggested for elder or disabled hunters ...many on the other side... want it all and thats it....perhaps refraining from sarcasim and subtle intellectual and character attacks....CB supporters could use the art form of compromise....just an idea...[;)] 

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:40 am

ORIGINAL: DoeEyed

This could be another tool to bring more hunters into the woods, increase the economy, someone else to stand by your side against the antis etc, ect. Interesting knee jerk reaction you had..... Same as some of the people opposed to crossbows perhaps? Interesting....

"I guess that is the fundamental difference between hunters like you, and hunters like myself,smoothbore, wack, woodswalker,etc. It isn't always about us. It's about the sport and it's future. About what we'll leave for our kids. I look at an issue like the CB and the first things that cross my mind are: How can we take advantage of this? How many new hunters (statewide, not in just my little corner) will join the sport? How many of them will be youngsters? How will my local economy benefit?"

Ehh...Obviously I should have used some sort of appropriate emoticon to indicate I was kidding. And, I assumed (perhaps erroneously) that the post re spearing in AL was also tongue in cheek.

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News