Several States to Liberalize Crossbow Usage

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
jamie9mm

RE: Several States to Liberalize Crossbow Usage

Postby jamie9mm » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:44 am

In Ohio we can use a crossbow anytime. I started with a croosbow and moved into a compound later when i could afford it. You can get a crossbow ready to go for around 300$ plus broadheads. A good compound bow is more like 300-400 or more with no sight, rest, quiver ,arrows. So there is one reason for allowing crossbows based on price alone. A croosbow is no more accurate maybe even less accurate then a compound. I will say that it takes a lot more practice with a compound then a croosbow.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:25 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

Wack ...you took a small snipit of my post and then went on your long impassioned speal...which is good that you feel strongly about the subject...now I never said that bowhunters do drives...when mentioning "pushing" to me it was to say more hunter movement = more deer movement which is'nt a bad thing...I don't hunt public land but I don't want more ppl out in bow season trying to hunt my land either and HERE...in my little corner of the globe happens alot...What I did say is guys just won't come right out and say "Hey I hate the thought of CB because...I don't want more hunters out there competing with me"...right or wrong I'm just stating what I think the true nuts and bolts of the argument is...hey I rifle hunt at camp but I'm fighting hard to stop rifle season here at home it is a safety issue ..FOR ME ..IN MY AREA..if ppl were to become more impationed about cleaning up the bad elements in the hunting community as thay are about trying to legalize crossbows...then you'd have an easier time convincing anti's we aren't a bunch of weapon toting heathens
I'm in the same boat here...put more hunters in my area, and I'll just gun hunt instead, less pressure is the main reason I went bow hunting in the first place.  I personaly have to admit, I have been a part of bow hunting deer drives, it works if done the correct way... 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:42 am

ORIGINAL: JChurch

I don't visit the site for awhile and this is what I come back to? Who cares what kind of weapon you use as long as you get out there and hunt,I would use a spear if they had a season for it and it meant I could spend more time in the woods hunting, what's so wrong with crossbows if it gets more people hunting which in turn gives us more support against the anti's who want to take everything away from all of us. If we don't agree with a form of hunting that's fine but don't take it away from them because then your doing the anti's job for them and all they have to do is sit back and watch.
I think our state does allow the use of  the spear, I dont know the rules and regulations for spear hunting deer , as I haven't contacted a cpo about the subject yet.  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

riadkill0724

Postby riadkill0724 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:24 pm

Well here go's.... I started hunting w/bow/arrow at 13. Gun's at 11yrs with my father,I'm 69 now. I met Fred Bear at 11 or so,in 1951 or 2,and there were about 200 hundred or less bow hunters in Mich. at that time. He was not a wacker as T.N. , the rocker, will tell you and he did not like compond bows eather ..there were no bait piles either back then .If you took bait into the woods you were no ( Sportsman.) Through the years I`ve seen it all, from a hunter takeing a dead deer that he didnt shoot and did'nt belong to him,to being told by a hunter that came and sat down 60 yds away, that he had as much right to be here as I did ,to going out to my blind and seeing a blind 15 feet from mine, and have had a deer shot in front of me while i was watching it,by a hunter with a gun. So now l've pulled a muscle on my arm and lowered the lbs. of my bow to 40lbs.I can't pull it with out feeling the musle tearing ,,, yup, you guessed it! I have a crossbow and now you don`t like me . This crossbow will keep me hunting for a few more years in Michigan. I hope the hunters that are so down on them understand when the caveman invented the wheel & fire, 60 % of them did'nt like that either. You can look at the forest fires we`ve had & people the wheel has killed .... change I don't like it either. More hunters in the woods I dont like, so you and I have something in common. Thank you

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:32 am

You should feel no shame for using a cross-bow when you have an injury, which prevents you from hunting effectively with a compound.  I never hated those that use them as a result of medical conditions.  However, I personally draw the line at that.  If you are too old, cannot see, have a defective member, are disabled, whatever, you should have the right to use whatever you see fit, short of dynamite. However if you are fully capable of using a compound I believe you should or resort to a longbow or something if you don't like compounds.  Just some food for thought or fuel for the fire, whichever you see fit.  LOL!!![:D]
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:40 am

Well I'm late to the thread, but I'm a new hunter who intends to use a crossbow this year since MI recently made it legal. It did indeed draw me to bow season, as I was only going to be a muzzleloader hunter.

My thoughts are they are an easy way into bow season. I'd like to buy and use a compound but I don't have the time to be proficient enough with one for this season. I fully understand the crossbow isn't really any more deadly than a compound and will need to choose my shots wisely. For my first season since I was about 15, I think this is the best choice for me to ethically take game.

The argument that they are too 'advanced' or have too much of an 'advantage' doesn't make much sense to me. Throughout time man has found a way to increase his technology to be more efficient at everything he does, including hunting. If these people truly believed that argument, they would be hunting with clubs, spears, and atlatl's. 

My state still only issues a certain number of licenses so it isn't like you'll have a crossbow hunter in every tree. I hunt private property anyway.

I think it is a good way to attract new hunters who will be another individual spending money and campaigning for this market to continue to thrive. I supported a local dealer in buying my set up, clothing, accessories, etc. I will be supporting a local processor until I can learn how to do it myself, etc. This is money that wouldn't otherwise be spent in this economy.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:10 am

ORIGINAL: TFin04

My state still only issues a certain number of licenses so it isn't like you'll have a crossbow hunter in every tree. I hunt private property anyway.

Ummmmm, I hunt Michigan and I'm pretty confident they do not issue a certain number of licenses for bowhunting whitetail, you should check your regulations manual.  They will sell them until the cows come home. 

The DNR is just looking for more ways to sell tags, not increase exposure.  That is their vehicle to sell their real intentions.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:49 am

You're right. I get confused with the different drawings, lotteries, etc. Like I said I'm new (again) to the woods. :)

Either way, I see no issue with x-bows.

gruberr

Postby gruberr » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:02 pm

Well put dmcianfa.  Couldn't agree with you more.

Previous

Return to Breaking News