Larry Benoit Dead At 89

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Woods Walker

Larry Benoit Dead At 89

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:49 pm

Benoit, ‘Babe Ruth for hunters,’ dies - Longview News-Journal: Nation
Benoit, ‘Babe Ruth for hunters,’ dies
New York Times News Service | Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 4:00 am

Larry Benoit, who tracked whitetail deer through the snowy woods of northern New England and southern Canada for more than seven decades, shooting at least 200 of the biggest and most prized specimens, known as trophy bucks, while becoming one of the nation’s most revered deer hunters, died Oct. 8 at his home in Duxbury, Vt. He was 89.

His death was confirmed by his son Shane.

Today, trophy buck hunting has elements of competitive sport, some of them high-tech. Some hunters use video cameras to learn the traveling and behavior patterns of deer, and, after a kill, many have antlers officially measured; “trophy racks,” they are called.

Benoit, who grew up poor near the Canadian border, learned to hunt because his family needed food. Even after achieving fame, he measured success by a buck’s weight; the heavier the buck, the more meat. His most notable skill was in recognizing (without a camera) the tracks big bucks left in the snow and following them as long as necessary.

“He was kind of like Babe Ruth for hunters,” said Ron Boucher, a hunter and rack measurer who knew Benoit for more than 30 years and wrote about him for North American Whitetail magazine. “He was probably known by more hunters than any other person for his time.”

In September 1970, Sports Afield magazine published a cover article with the headline “Larry Benoit — Is He the Best Deer Hunter in America?” Five years later, Benoit, a carpenter in the offseason, published “How to Bag the Biggest Buck of Your Life,” a book, written with Peter Miller, that many people consider a standard text for deer hunters. In it, he promoted comprehensive preparation, not instant gratification:

Find deer using the ancient art of tracking hoof prints, not sitting in the relative comfort of a tree stand. Are you really a hunter, or just a shooter? Do not fire at the first big buck you see. Wait for the one you truly want.

“To outwit the whitetail, you must know how to locate him, how to track him and how to down him,” he wrote. “It takes stamina, woods lore, deer lore and experience to win this fight.”

Ease up on those summer beers. Drink skim milk. Tend to your calluses, wear wool socks, take the stairs instead of the elevator, do isometrics “on the can” if that is the only time you have.

In addition to Shane Benoit, Larry Benoit is survived by three other sons, Lanny, Lansing and Lane; four daughters, Aloma Abner, Serene Savarese, Aleta Corriveau and Zana Evans; 23 grandchildren; 29 great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.

A daughter, Lona Burns, died last year. His wife of 66 years, the former Iris Sweet, died in 2008.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Woods Walker

Re: Larry Benoit Dead At 89

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Benoit's book was a bit of a life changer for me (well...my hunting life at least!).

Up to that time all the people I knew and myself included thought that the only way one could consistantly kill deer was to sit in a tree or a blind. After I read his book I began to get the idea that just maybe there was more to hunting than blending with the bark. It didn't happen then but the seed was planted and after a few more years I started pursuing deer instead of waiting for them. In the area I live and hunt I couldn't hunt like the Benoits did because I had to keep myself on a 100 acres or so. But what I could do was stalk/stillhunt, and that's what I did/do.

It opened up a whole new world of hunting for me, and for that I will forever be thankful to Larry Benoit.

Godspeed my hunting brother!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:26 pm

I can't believe that no one's commented on this! I guess I am OLD! Do any of you even know who Larry Benoit was?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:21 pm

I'll be the first to comment WoodsWalker....

Larry Benoit died, my grandfather also died, who didn't track deer through snowy anything, he made good shots on deer for his family because they needed the meat and were immigrants from Germany. My grandfather's death was confirmed by me. My grandfather never had any of his trophy racks measured, they were stolen, years ago, because he couldn't afford to pay a taxidermist, and when he met up with one to get the antlers mounted he traded his carpentry skills for the mount, the racks were "thrown away". My grandfather who grew up near Green Bay learned to hunt because his family needed food. Even after NOT achieving fame, he measured success by a buck’s weight; the heavier the buck, the more meat. His most notable skill was in recognizing (without a camera) the tracks DEER left in the snow and following them as long as necessary, walking miles and miles until all the hunting party was successful, even to the point of the wives going farm to farm milking cows morning and night even during Thanksgiving and coming up one night to give everyone a fresh home cooked meal and to celebrate our heritage, that they were not accustomed to.

My grandfather and his brothers and brothers in law were known by little, if any of the few people when they registered B&C bucks, one after the other.

"In September 1970, Sports Afield magazine published a cover article with the headline “Larry Benoit — Is He the Best Deer Hunter in America?" If he grew up in Canada, he's not the best hunter in America, and they obviously didn't know anyone from my ancestors hunting party who walked mile after mile with WWII weapons and .35 Remingtons...my grandfather, not a carpenter in the "off season" but a hunter in the off season, and farmer and carpenter full time didn't have money to publish a book how to shoot the biggest buck of your life, yet they did it year after year.

As our "bickering" went on in the other post about "Deer Farmers" I see you kindly write this...

"Find deer using the ancient art of tracking hoof prints, not sitting in the relative comfort of a tree stand. Are you really a hunter, or just a shooter? Do not fire at the first big buck you see. Wait for the one you truly want."

As my grandfathers success carries on to me, I do not fire at the first buck I see, but I wait for the one I truly want.

That's what I do woodswalker...welcome to my world and Larry Benoit's world, but not my grandfather's world...who hunted for meat, and shot many true trophies bigger than Larry, you, or myself could ever imagine.

Check out a picture of his buck on the old time photos.

My grandfather never knew what an escalator ever was, being a carpenter full time and all...

My grandfather could never drink anything other than whole milk, because he was poor, and so were his relatives. I'm grateful that what my grandfather and his brothers taught my father (an in-law) because its made me a better hunter. I've hunted the same woods as he did, I still do to this day, my appreciation for hunting is far different than it was 60 years ago, when my grandfather shot his first B&C buck.

Not to be a pain in the side Woodswalker, but yes, you're that old...times have changed, and your hypocritical ideologies are long gone...
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:44 pm

You know, there's an old saying, especially when it concerns a good man's passing......

"If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all".

Good of you to dishonor a thread that was meant to be a memorial to a good man.

But really, I expected nothing less of you and your bruised ego. You wouldn't have even commented on this if I hadn't posted it. Looks like I have a stalker!! You must still be stewing about the last go-round we had. Why don't you go and shoot one of the Booners you have your choice of and relax a bit!

Have a nice day.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:53 pm

I only replied when you bashed the whole D&DH community...

We all hunt for different reasons, you're the one trying to make everyone the same.

Welcome to America...
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Get a life....really. You should really get that paranoia looked at. It can mess up your life but good. If you think that I posted this because I think that everyone should hunt like Larry Benoit then you are one confused individual. Benoit was a well known deer hunting historical figure, like Fred Bear. Deal with it.

Oh...and just for the record, the quote that you attribute to me about how Benoit hunted I did NOT write, that was part of the article from the NY Times that I quoted so take it up with them.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

harvgrove

Postby harvgrove » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:14 pm

Larry, you will be missed by all. I have decided to dedicate this years Deer season to you. Every day I will enter the woods with a prayer for you. I will also hunt with you as my guide and follow your teaching and techniques throughout the season. It will be very difficult for myself due to spine injury but I will be strong! You were a Master of wilderness with the heart of a Worrier. God has taken you to his Wilderness.
Thank you for your devotion.

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:10 pm

I admired Larry for his abilities as a deer hunter, I certainly wouldn't want to be a trophy deer with him on my track! I have a copy of his book but would have liked to spent time with him around a campfire to listen to some of his deer hunting stories, no doubt he could have written another book about his adventures.

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

Return to Breaking News