How do you use the D&DH Peak Rut Predictions?

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Swandog09

How do you use the D&DH Peak Rut Predictions?

Postby Swandog09 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:24 am

Do you use the Deer and Deer Hunting annual Peak Rut Predictions?
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

Swandog09

RE: How do you use the D&DH Peak Rut Predictions?

Postby Swandog09 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:30 am

I tend to use it as a guideline. I think the study that Alsheimer and Laroche have done and continue to do is very helpful to me as a hunter. It has allowed me to plan hunts and increase my chances of seeing deer wihcih is important as I do not live close to where I hunt. Sorry if this topic has been covered before but want to know how you all feel about it as tool. BTW I hunt in the north.
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:02 pm

That's about it...a guideline. The when and how intense the rut is going to be is dictated by the does, and their activity levels and movement is determined for the most part by local conditions. Rain, unseasonal heat/cold, and crop harvest progress all play a big part in this.

If you go by the rule of...."During the rut, hunt as often and as long as you can".....you won't go wrong, as a big part of your success will be caused by you just "BEING THERE"!

You can't shoot 'em unless you're in the woods.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:17 am

I enjoy reading the articles, however our group is committed to hunting the 3rd week of the firearms seasons (Nov 14th this year). As such, we usually miss the chasing phase. Anyway, whenever I'm in the woods, I try to make a determination of the current phase of the rut. There are numerous factors that can affect the number of deer seen on any given days so, sometimes, it can be difficult to pinpoint where things are at. There has been some instances when I thought that the rut prediction was bang on.

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:10 pm

I'm aware of it but don't really follow it.  There are too many other influences that can't be determined in advanced for me to believe it can be all that accurate. 

Past experience tells me that if the weather cooperates, I will see plenty of deer movement from the last week of October through the third week of November, and with more than enough does to go around the bucks don't have to be all that agressive to find a willing mate.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to Breaking News