Ace of Spades (Buck Shots)

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
ranwin33

RE: Ace of Spades (Buck Shots)

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:26 am

My 4 inch vanes shoot the same as my blazers that shoot the same as my twisters.  There is no difference in impact point for me on all three of these vane types, so I don't have a problem with the picture.  I can't say the same for all my broadheads, but many of those also shoot the same.  I do shoot the same Cabelas arrow cut to the same length with all of them though.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:59 pm

Same here I have arrows fletched with the original quickspins, Blazers and the newer quickspin twisters all fly the same and have the same point of impact.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:41 am

ORIGINAL: cutngut85

ORIGINAL: wingbone

Yea, I like to keep a junk arrow and if I shoot a deer, I shoot the junk arrow at the same spot. This has helped me find the exact location on the ground, especially if there is no pass through. I have shot deer in the edge of fields and once you get down out of the tree stand things can look different. Just find your practice arrow and away you go.

This is a great idea! I never even gave this a thought....can't tell you how many times coming down from the tree my orientation was off. Thanks for the tip!

That is a good idea, and one that I did use when I hunted from treestands.

To expand on this, here's another tip........

If you carry a range finder, then you should also have a compass for this. When you shoot a deer, try to visually mark where the deer was when you shot at it, and where you last saw it before it disappeared from you sight. Shooting a spare arrow works well for this. But if you don't have a spare arrow, or you are firearm hunting, then take your range finder, and get the distance to those two points while you are still up in the tree. Then take compass bearings as well. When you climb down, stand at the base of the tree in as close to the position you were when you were in it, and take the compass bearing(s). You know the range, so you should be able to walk almost right to where you want to be to see sign.

I find that this works well in heavy cover, or if you are on the side of a hill, as the view that one has one the ground in such circumstances can change drastically from what it was from 20' up.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:57 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

If you carry a range finder, then you should also have a compass for this. When you shoot a deer, try to visually mark where the deer was when you shot at it, and where you last saw it before it disappeared from you sight. Shooting a spare arrow works well for this. But if you don't have a spare arrow, or you are firearm hunting, then take your range finder, and get the distance to those two points while you are still up in the tree. Then take compass bearings as well. When you climb down, stand at the base of the tree in as close to the position you were when you were in it, and take the compass bearing(s). You know the range, so you should be able to walk almost right to where you want to be to see sign.

I find that this works well in heavy cover, or if you are on the side of a hill, as the view that one has one the ground in such circumstances can change drastically from what it was from 20' up.

Excellent point.  Especially in heavy cover where all trees can start to look alike after awhile.  I try to use the camera I have with me to get a picture of where they may have left my line of site, but as you say, things look different on the ground from what you see in a tree stand. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:12 am

Great ideas guys!!!!  I usually carry along 3 spare arrows that have either judo points on them, or field points....
QDM!

Previous

Return to Breaking News