Men Sentenced in Deer Smuggling Case

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Dan Schmidt

Men Sentenced in Deer Smuggling Case

Postby Dan Schmidt » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:42 am

Father and son get jail time in Michigan for smuggling deer!

JOEL

RE: Men Sentenced in Deer Smuggling Case

Postby JOEL » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:01 pm

180/90 days isnt enough had they caused an epidemic then what?should threw the book at em.great father  figure[:@]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

barkriver

Postby barkriver » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:15 pm

I live only a few miles from this pen. Joel I agree it is ridiculous the sentence they got to do the things they did after one of the fellow "ranchers" had just screwed up hunting in this state is unacceptable. 

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Some people really tick me off.. I mean come on now..seriously? I think 180 day's is a slap to the wrist
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am

That's what our society is coming to.  Football player runs over man and kills him and gets 30 days jail.  Football player also runs dog fighting ring and gets 2.5 years.  No consistency!
QDM!

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:59 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

That's what our society is coming to.  Football player runs over man and kills him and gets 30 days jail.  Football player also runs dog fighting ring and gets 2.5 years.  No consistency!

Not that I don't agree, I think 30 days was definitely too short of time.

The thing you have to look at here is you can't compare the two incidents. The football player killed a man in accident where the man darted out in front of him trying to catch a bus. If not for the alcohol in the football player he would have never served a day, the guy darted out in front of him not in any kind of crosswalk. It was an accident that nobody knows could have been prevented even if the football player hadn't been drinking.

The other football player knowingly participated in dog killings and torturing of dogs as well as financing dog fights and betting. None of it was an accident, they were purposeful cruelty acts towards dogs knowing they were committing felony's and doing everything to cover it up as so not to get caught. A big difference the way I see it.

Either way I'll agree our justice system is flawed.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:20 pm

69Viking I have to disagree with you here. Lets not forget or overlook the fact that the football player was drinking and driving, Which is illegal.. Who knows if he wasnt drinking he might have been able to react faster and inter stop in time.

My big thing here is that it seems the only time seem to get really fired up and forums light up with chatter and the news papers get letters along with local D.A.'s demanding the stiffest penalty allowed by law is when a animal is abused or killed in a inhuman way..

Why is it when a HUMAN, is killed abused or beaten it gets a small article in the local news paper never to be heard of again until sentancing, maybe. You never here people demanding the stiffest penalty by law for them. Which usually is not the case because todays judges and district attorneys are way to easy on the criminals and the general public lets it slide on by. Lets get are priorites in order here people, humans should hold more weight than animals period.

Dont get me wrong I think people who abuse animals are garbage and should be punished I just think the majority of people only get mad enough to send a letter to the people in charge when a animal is involved.

Return to Breaking News