Scent Loc Found Guilty Of False Advertising

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
buckhunter21

RE: Scent Loc Found Guilty Of False Advertising

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu May 27, 2010 7:54 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

Glad I use Scent Blocker!!!
At least I can still forget about the wind!!!

I'm with ya! :)
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu May 27, 2010 7:55 am

ORIGINAL: Ohio farms

Ouch for the Drury brothers too.

I'm sure it's all the same stuff, but they use ScentBlocker exclusively I think.
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu May 27, 2010 7:59 am

My contention is that the reason why folks think the charcoal suits work is that their awareness of scent goes up. Anyone who spends that much money on goofy suit really wants to commit to reducing their scent. They try harder, and it pays off. I am probably not the first guy to say the best thing about Scent Lok is the little instruction card. Follow those instructions, and you will probably see more deer-- regardless of whether you are wearing the suit or not.

I can probably agree with this statement.  I use ScentBlocker.  Do I think it works?  Yes.  Do I think it eliminates odors 100%?  No.  Do I think the activation works to the full extent?  Jury's still out on that.
QDM!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu May 27, 2010 8:06 am

See my first post
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

KYdeer88

Postby KYdeer88 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:14 pm

Humm Scent Lok, does it work? I dont know. All I know is it cost alot. I know this is only my 3rd post and I'm not trying to stir the pot, but I have never seen the need for scent control clothing outside of my rubber boots and a bottle of spray. When I'm not hunting I keep my camo in a tub with cedar branches and leaves. I sometime shower before I go out. When I was learning how to hunt I was tought to play the wind, it's free. I'm really not trying to b.s but I have reached out and touched deer on 2 occasions, does each time, while sitting on the ground not in a blind. I have also had deer dang near run over top of me before. I have shot deer with a bow while wearing grease and oil covered carharts after work. Some of the best deer hunters I know, by which I mean guys who kill real wall hangers year after year own very little camo clothing, let alone clothing that costs as much as scent lok. I know some guys who have had to put their cigarette down to shoot deer, "you wont see that on t.v." I guess all I'm getting at is that I think it's easy to get cought up in high priced products when all you really need to do is to remember the basics like staying down wind, being still, being patient, and scouting so you know when deer are coming through. I'll continue to wear my carhart bibs and wal-mart jacket and kill deer. I'll spend the extra money in my pocket on stands and good ammo/arrows.

antlerjockey

Postby antlerjockey » Fri May 28, 2010 8:13 am

All due respect, the fact you may use Scent Blocker actually means nothing. If you look around at some articles (I won't repeat where for Dan), you will note that Scent-Lok and Scent Blocker are one in the same, as far as construction of the garment. They both use "Activated Carbon", which is basically charcoal, and has a very limited useful life. In order to "Re-Generate"" it's usefulness, you would have to achieve a a 450-900(C), 842-1652(F) degree temperature range which is all but impossible for the normal person. Which, in laymans terms, means you simply can not regenerate the carbon in carbon lined fabric. As usual, it's a fact, and I don't say it unless I know it's true.
[:(]

http://www.springerlink.com/content/l510w61727515n72/

Just for your information, use it as you will.

God Bless.
- Crazy Dave
DEERFEAR.COM

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Sat May 29, 2010 6:08 am

I think you're taking goose's post too seriously.

The question I have is, where is the Scent-Loc being made an example of going to end? Scent blocker will probably see some court action as well, unless their claims to greatness are much more subtle. What about Rage? Will they get in trouble when people don't find spilled paint amounts of blood to follow while tracking? I just saw a Cuddeback comercial where Tiffany said the batteries last forever."WOW", that's a long time.

Everyone buys things that don't seem to work as advertised. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is, but that's how products get marketed. At least we now know Scent-loc will work for a few hunts but can't become new again after 40 minutes in a dryer. Shame on them, but I still don't think people (mostly lawyers) should make money off of their mistakes.
Dave M.

antlerjockey

Postby antlerjockey » Sun May 30, 2010 5:48 am

ORIGINAL: Bowtechian

I think you're taking goose's post too seriously.

The question I have is, where is the Scent-Loc being made an example of going to end? Scent blocker will probably see some court action as well, unless their claims to greatness are much more subtle. What about Rage? Will they get in trouble when people don't find spilled paint amounts of blood to follow while tracking? I just saw a Cuddeback comercial where Tiffany said the batteries last forever."WOW", that's a long time.

Everyone buys things that don't seem to work as advertised. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is, but that's how products get marketed. At least we now know Scent-loc will work for a few hunts but can't become new again after 40 minutes in a dryer. Shame on them, but I still don't think people (mostly lawyers) should make money off of their mistakes.

Ok... Let's try it question by question.

Start from the end. A "mistake" is not what you think. Scripts are written and approved by counsel, as well as the products rep (actor). Understand most hunting is real, but there is real marketing and real P.R. behind all these products. For cudde to say, or their rep, to say the batteries last forever is not considered false advertising under current statutes. Cudde cannot be proven liable, because it is common knowledge that batteries do not, and can not, last forever. And they don't offer a "guarantee" of the rep's knowledge.

Lawyers, unless and until class actions are filed are not making money, except the counsel for scent-lok at this particular time. "Deliberately misleading" is predence, and the government is the one who took on this case. Of course everyone knows lawyers will do anything to make money (Sorry Mike, you know it's true), it's their business. Is it good or bad depends on the suit. If your injured on the job and cannot work, a lawyer is your best friend. Frivolous lawsuits usually will never make it past an initial complaint.

As far as scent-lok working for a while, and then not re-activate able, I am not sure it is any better than other items out there for far less money. The entire case rests around the "Deliberately misleading" precedence, and like has been said, Scent Blocker will be in the same boat in due time, because they do fall into that category.

As far as Rage and the murder scene blood trail, I don't think they've done much to represent their product as a guarantee. Hence, no precedence.

Basically this lawsuit, and some I believe will come, will fall into the categories above, which it should. The everyman should be protected from what we in marketing call "Hype". Non-truths, or truth's by paid experts who will say whatever for the money, is intentionally misleading, and should have consequences. If Tylenol says it cures headaches, they're good. If they say it cures cancer, they're in court, and that is as it should be.

IMHO
Take Care and God Bless.
-CD
DEERFEAR.COM

antlerjockey

Postby antlerjockey » Sun May 30, 2010 10:57 am

Just as a quick footnote, off-topic, but kind of funny (not really).

I am not going to include the link out of respect for Dan, but I can tell you this:

There is a company now offering hunting gear that claims to keep the deer (and other prey) from hearing your heartbeat. No joke, I wish it was.[:'(]

You can see the info on my site if you wish.

Take Care and God Bless.
-CD
DEERFEAR.COM

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon May 31, 2010 5:40 pm

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member