Scent Loc Found Guilty Of False Advertising

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
SHKYBoonie

RE: Scent Loc Found Guilty Of False Advertising

Postby SHKYBoonie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:43 pm

ORIGINAL: shaman

Maybe we can put this in somekind of perspective.

The lawsuits are much larger then just Scentlok and included Scent Blocker , Cabela's , Gander Mountain and Bass Pro . The basis of the charges were based on fraud and conspiracy. That they worked together to defraud the public . They were found guilty by the judge as a matter of law. The actual trial is still to come to determind damages. There was significant evidence for the judge to rule. Just the testimony of the experts from both sides clearly proved they were guilty. All of them. Don't raise red herrings by trying to bring in other cases. If their own expert says it doesn't work , it doesn't work.

The thing that we lose sight of is that the discussion is about false advertising but the real evidence supports that carbon does't work to stop human odor from be released. Why do you think Scent Blocker was so quick to settle. They wanted to stop this from coming out to the public.

We tend to forget that in the Feb.1999 issue of Field and Stream a carbon expert was interviewed and stated that scientifically this process can not work. Hunter's wanted something magically to work and they went along with these claims despite the evidence. Then pro and celebrity hunters saw a chance to make some quick money or get sponsorships and jumped on board and started pushing products they didn't believe in. Take Lee Lakowsky, he has a chemistry background and had to know some of these claims were false. He went as far to talk and complain that the carbon wasn't working. Despite his chemical background and his personal experirnce with carbon and the decision of the court and expert testimony he continues to support carbon by accepting sponsorship.. In fact we haven't heard one word from anyone who accepts money or sponsership for carbon. Why aren't the speaking out ?

Just a little research on the properties of carbon would go a long way revealing that these claims are false and are intended to fool the average hunter. Actually a close study of the court documents reveal that there isn't enough carbon to stop anything close to what they claim.

bmorris:  Exactly!!! 

Now, consider that all these hunters have been running around the woods for almost 2 decades in phony scent-absorbing suits that don't work.  Either:

a)  The deer really don't care that much about our scent
b)  . . . I'm at a loss to come up with another alternative.

This WILL be my last post on this topic as I am tired of hearing about some poor sap who thinks he was wronged because he was gullible enough to think that ANYTHING will eliminate his human odor 100%and he could "Forget the wind, just hunt" or "Hunt 360". Is this what's going to happen to Ozonics, the makers of the new ozone generator, in a few years because some guy thinks he "WOULD have killed the big one" if it was working like it said? I can list thousands of products that have come and gone thru the years that were nothing more than gimmicks. All they had to do is get one Hunting Celebrity to endorse the product, sell a couple of million of them to gullible hunters and they made BIG money!

Anyway.................To fill in your "Part b)" Shaman, It made the hunters think about their scent control at a higher level. When you bought these clothes, you didn't go hunt for a while then wear those clothes to do yard work in. Hunters were now taking their clothes off after a hunt and storing them properly. Not only that, but they even went thru the process of not dressing until they were at their hunting area. I know for a fact that's what happened with me. I never thought about scent control on that level until I got my first set of Scent-Lok clothes. Now, I am as aware of my scent as anyone could possibly be. I mean down to the sling on my gun or the strap on my release. Nothing goes untreated and I am learning new ways to even further my process of elemination everyday and I will still wear my Scent-Lok clothes everytime I go in the woods. Why? Because they are the only sets of hunting clothes I own that have been worn for NOTHING else except hunting.

And on another note, If you think that activated carbon will not eliminate human odor try this. Go online and buy a bottle of "True Carbon". It doesn't cost but about $7 + s&h, and put anything with an odor on a paper plate. Cover it with just a little of the True Carbon powder and try to smell anything. I did on a recomendation (Thanks Marc) and this stuff is unbelievable! Yes, we have all heard the agument that it can't be regenerated and that is what's so great about this True Carbon, you apply it, use it, wash it out & re-apply it. Besides, with the surface area of activated carbon (I can't remember exactly but like 140 acres to an oz.), how long will it take to completely saturate it in the first place?

I guess Scent-Lok should have taken the low road like Scent Killer's 99% instead of 100%. Then they could argue that these plantiffs fall within the 1% that didn't work.[:D]
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:05 pm

ORIGINAL: bmorris

John and his son who recently posted an article in DH must have a vested interest in carbon clothing and in Scentlok. Any one who supports a product that has only 27 % coverage just will not look at the facts. For them proof means nothing because they won't accept it. How can any product with only a filter that covers 27% of the area make claims for 10-12 years that they are getting 100% of what they are filtering. If it wasn't for poeple like this that support this kind of nonsense for years maybe the public would have a better chance of knowing the truth. I know that he would never exposure his life or his families lives to a filter that had only stopped 27% of a harmful substance. These people use their position and influence to help promote a product like this. The new FTC guidelines need to be inforced against those who endorse and champion products that just don't do what they claim.

I was reading thru some of the older post and came across this and had to respond.

Thing is bmorris, people trust themselves to poor filtering systems everyday! The little blue air filters that over 90% of the homes in the U.S. have filtering the air they live in everyday, it's only 32% effective against air born polutants. I deal with air quality on a daily basis, it's my job. Most air systems need to be cleaned every 5 years, not just the coils but the entire system because we use filtering systems with very poor filteration properties. Not to mention the 1000's and 1000's of peopel who fell for the electrostatic filter systems that started out at around $1500 each. You have to have a relitive humidity of near 0% for anything electrostatic to work. In free air systems, this is next to never! The way I look at it is, I'm going to buy the best hunting clothes I can and if I can get something that will help me out with 27%, all the better. I'm not stupid enough to think that there is anything out there that will eliminate my scent 100% or even 75%, but every little bit helps. I'll take 27% over NOTHING!
Hunt as though your life depended on it, because one day it just might!

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:45 pm

27%>0%

Just Sayin'...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

bmorris

Postby bmorris » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:17 pm

ORIGINAL: SwampLife

27%>0%

Just Sayin'...

Precisely the point. If your scent system can't fool a dog you get nothing. Carbon has never even fooled a dog must less a deer.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:29 am

Well it's gonna be in the high 80's tomorrow so it will be way too hot to wear my carbon clothing. But I found a great new spot & so I'm gonna be out there tomorrow morning; even if I have to wear shorts. Check out this spot. [;)]

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:11 am

ORIGINAL: bmorris

ORIGINAL: SwampLife

27%>0%

Just Sayin'...

Precisely the point. If your scent system can't fool a dog you get nothing. Carbon has never even fooled a dog must less a deer.

That wasn't my point but ok.

I do agree with you though, I think if we could comprehend how sensitive a deer's nose is we would quickly see that playing the wind is 1000x more important than scent control/suppression. Not saying that it is wise NOT to practice scent control, just that staying downwind should be priority no. 1. I read recently that a polar bear can smell a seal from over 30 miles away, now idk if polar bears have a greater sense of smell than deer or if seals are really smelly, but good lord, we really don't stand a chance.

Wearing scent lok and not playing the wind for hunting mature bucks is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Julien Dupuy

Postby Julien Dupuy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:03 am

After hours of research I have found some very interesting facts.

Mammals such as dogs can smell human odor as low as 10 ppb (yes that is right....... 10 parts per billion) = approximately 10 drops in 250 chemical drums = approximately 50m3 .

Humans on the other hand can start smelling other humans starting at 10ppm (parts per million) wich is approximately 10 drops in 50 liters of water.

Now this beeing said, in the PAID avertisment in the last D & DH issue, scent blocker claims they're clothing with SPF60 can adsorb approximately 0.395 mg/cm2. 0.395 mg....mmmm Ok so 1 gram consists of 1000 mg.

A human on an average day again depending on exertion can produce anywhere between 1-3 gallons of sweat.

They also talk about they're clothing adsorbing butyric acid, but it is not the only thing that sweat is made of...... human sweat is composed of minerals, lactate and Urea. Mineral composition varies with the individuals depending on exertion, food habits and general physical conditions. But an indication could be somewhat around this ball park.
sodium 0.9 gram/liter,
potassium 0.2 gram/liter,
calcium 0.015 gram/liter,
magnesium 0.0013 gram/liter.

Also many other trace elements are excreted in sweat, again an indication of their concentration is (although measurements can vary tremendously)
zinc (0.4 mg/l),
copper (0.3–0.8 mg/l),
iron (1 mg/l),
chromium (0.1 mg/l),
nickel (0.05 mg/l),
lead (0.05 mg/l).

I think and know now for sure that there is no magic but working the wind is magic in itself.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:47 am

Facts, facts, facts. What's so important about facts? Besides, now we have COLD FUSION, so all us, "hunters in the know" can rest easy about our magic carbon sprinkles!!!

Scent Lok/Block says it works, and they'd NEVER lie now, would they? Besides, they spend a LOT of money in D&DH advertising. That's what really matters.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:07 pm

awesome post Julien

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:22 pm

LOLOL Are those the new Cold Fusion Boots your wearing foofad
ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

Well it's gonna be in the high 80's tomorrow so it will be way too hot to wear my carbon clothing. But I found a great new spot & so I'm gonna be out there tomorrow morning; even if I have to wear shorts. Check out this spot. [;)]

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News