Scent Loc Found Guilty Of False Advertising

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
mightyfofaad

RE: Scent Loc Found Guilty Of False Advertising

Postby mightyfofaad » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:00 pm

No, but I'm using Cold Fusion Carbon Bullets so the deer doesn't duck when it smells the bullet coming! [8D]

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

LOLOL Are those the new Cold Fusion Boots your wearing foofad
ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

Well it's gonna be in the high 80's tomorrow so it will be way too hot to wear my carbon clothing. But I found a great new spot & so I'm gonna be out there tomorrow morning; even if I have to wear shorts. Check out this spot. [;)]

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:46 am

Aww man... you stole my spot!!!!lol

No, but I'm using Cold Fusion Carbon Bullets so the deer doesn't duck when it smells the bullet coming! [8D]

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

LOLOL Are those the new Cold Fusion Boots your wearing foofad

Well it's gonna be in the high 80's tomorrow so it will be way too hot to wear my carbon clothing. But I found a great new spot & so I'm gonna be out there tomorrow morning; even if I have to wear shorts. Check out this spot. [;)]

ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

Julien Dupuy

Postby Julien Dupuy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks SwampLife,
I just hate spending hard earned money on things, until I see the big picture.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:02 am

I'm going to paint with a broad stroke here.  Let's just say sweat is about 99% water and 1% something else-- mostly sodium.  However the charcoal isn't going to worry about what's what.  It will absorb whatever it can.

We've got two numbers we can play with.  Let's just take the minimum amount of daily sweat-- 1 gallon and the amount that ScentBlocker says it can absorb: 0.395 mg/cm2.  I'm also going to throw in a SWAG here and say there's 5 sq meters of clothing in a Scent Blocker suit.

1 gallon = 3.78541 Liters X .01==>  yield .0378 Liters of impurity (37.8 ml)
5 sq meters = 50,000 cm2  ==> 1 scent blocker suit can absorb about 10,000 mg of impurity
50 ml of table salt weighs about  .05Kg   or 50g or 50,000mg ( weighed some just now)

Excuse me while I take off my socks and shoes and play with my gozinda tables here for a bit.  I'm a bit rusty on my cyphern' these days.

37.8 ml roughly equals  about 37.8 mg -- we'll call it 40 mg of impurity per gallon of sweat.  40 into 10,000 mg (the capacity of the suit) equals 250 gallons of sweat that can be processed by the suit before it becomes saturated.  That's 250 days of hunting. That frankly doesn't pass the smell test. 

Now this is all guesswork and estimations and such, but that 0.395 mg/cm2 claim doesn't seem reasonable.  A suit could be only 4 sq meters of material.    The salts in the sweat may only weigh 25mg/ liter.  Still, I'd dare say that if I left a suit of anything go untreated for 250 days of hunting or even just 1 season, I'd have a stink-suit rather than a scent-blocking suit.

Bottom line:  this stinks.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:45 am

Um once again, I was told there would be no math.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:02 am

SHAMAN you know I'm one of your biggest fans ... however, it's time to close the Still! [:D]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:41 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Um once again, I was told there would be no math.

Sometimes his posts make my head hurt! [:D]

Is this going to be on Friday's quiz??
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:00 pm

Woodsie, if you bring a calculator and I bring my protractor we'll pass with flying colors.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:55 pm

My point was to show how 0.395 mg/cm2 claim needed to be looked at skeptically. Now if I just said that number resulted in over 10 years of wearing without needing to be recharged, you wouldn't have believed me. 

Similarly, if the Scent Blocker had come out and said their garments would be worn threadbare before you needed to recharge them in Woodsie's 1500 degree dryer,  you'd also be unbelieving.  However, they threw out some obscure number and a lot of people would let it slip by without question.

So here are some points really worth thinking about:

1)  If I told you my anti-telepathy hat would reject 4.8GHz radiation up to 1.2 Mega-Teslas and attenuate up to -20db?   . . .  See I bet you didn't even finish the sentence.  You've already made your decision. You either buy into it or you don't. Probably what sold you on the anti-telepathy hat was the graphic:
. . . because that is what you looked at first.  All the rest could have been Gospel Truth or complete lies.  You either believed the picture or you didn't and made your decision based on that.

2)  Why do companies involved in this scent reduction market have to make extraordinary and excessive claims?  If the darn things work, why not give easily verifiable results?

3)  Has anyone really verified any of this?  I'm still waiting to see a published side-by-side comparison between a scent-suit and wearing an ordinary rain suit.  If this stuff is really scientifically proven, where's the science?  If I had paid for real scientists to do real science and the stuff worked, I'd be finding every way I could to slip real science into my advertising. Based on what I've seen from these scent-reduction peddlers, there is either a) no real science behind it b) the science doesn't back up the claim c) the entire paradigm is screwed up-- you could be going out in wool cruisers and smoking a pipe and have about as much luck.  

. . . oh, Gee!  Wasn't that what we were doing before all this scent-hooey got started?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:45 am

2) Why do companies involved in this scent reduction market have to make extraordinary and excessive claims? If the darn things work, why not give easily verifiable results?

This about sums it up for me. That, and if it really did work like they claim, they'd also give you a money back guarantee if didn't like it for whatever reason.

The people that sell those Heater Suit bags for cold weather stand hunting will refund 100% of your money, no questions asked, if you get COLD! Talk about a subject assessment!

But on the other hand, their product actually works like it's supposed to.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News