Three Charged in Wisconsin Deer Thrill Kill

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Ben Sobieck

Three Charged in Wisconsin Deer Thrill Kill

Postby Ben Sobieck » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:51 am

Source: Stevens Point Journal

WAUPACA - A judge Tuesday rejected a move to lower bond on one of three snowmobilers charged with the thrill killing of deer last month, saying he is safer in jail than he would be out.

Waupaca County Judge Philip Kirk told defense attorney Troy Nielsen the $25,000 bond on Rory Kuenzi will remain for now because Kuenzi also is jailed on a probation violation and has been the subject of several threats in letters sent to the court.

"I think jail is probably the safest place for him at this point," Kirk said.

The bail request reduction came at a brief hearing where Kuenzi, 24, of Weyauwega, entered not guilty pleas to six counts of mistreatment of animals causing death, a charge of taking a motor vehicle without the owners consent and a misdemeanor charge of theft.

He, his brother, Robby, 23, and Nicholas Hermes, 23, are charged with herding and killing four deer and a fawn with their snowmobiles Jan. 9. All three men are from the Weyauwega area.

Read the rest here.

69Viking

RE: Three Charged in Wisconsin Deer Thrill Kill

Postby 69Viking » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:01 am

Good to hear these guys are in jail.  It will be interesting to see what their conviction will be for and what kind of punishment they'll get.  They need to send a message to others that think this is ok behavior.  This is really a sad story.   

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:00 am

Glad they caught them..safer in jail is right, I bet the whole community wants a piece of them!

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:01 am

i went to high school with those guys. they were in a younger class, so i didnt "know" them, but they were always in trouble, mostly for drug dealing, everybody knew who they were. its too bad that something like this will get related to deer hunting, even though it has nothing to do with hunting. im sure it will also be attributed to snowmobiling, which again, is too bad. millions of people responsibly hunt and snowmobile every year. then you get a couple of screwballs doing something dumb and it tarnishes the whole thing for everybody else. im glad to see at least they were caught. which i personally think is kind of funny. boy, they sure are a couple of SMART dudes. they cant even run down deer in the middle of the night with snowmobiles without getting busted!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:28 am

Like the article said, it's about time they get caught for something.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

wack

Postby wack » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:24 am

The sad part is one of these guys ran a young man down with his truck and they knew it. The case landed on a retired traffic investigator's desk, got lost in the shuffle, so this guy was walking around free to get in more trouble. Thousands of dollars in rewards offered when he killed a few deer yet years before when he killed a young man no rewards were offered, no public outcry or support for the victim and his family. . Hopefully because of all this, the family of that young man he ran down will get some well deserved justice, and would be nice if some of that reward money went to the victim's family.  
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:44 pm

Im very glad they got caught that would of been a tragedy if they didnt, hopefully they get the punishment they deserve!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:38 pm

Considering their past, and what they have done now, I don't believe nothing will ever be enough.  Sometimes you just have to lay it out and make an example so this doesn't happen again.  JMO!
QDM!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:55 pm

I can't believe they've actually plead not guilty.[:@][:'(]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

John1961

Postby John1961 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:58 pm

Poaching and animal abuse, and stories like this, for me any way, are hard to talk about and be nice. But these people make me sick as well as really mad as hell. Some folks have nothing better to do them destroy or take from others. I understand animals get hit everyday by vehicles and I can except that. But to herd and kill for no reason is well I'll end it here for lack of the right words.

John
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

Next

Return to Breaking News