Crossbows legal in PA

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Highlander Archery

Crossbows legal in PA

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:25 am

PGC just voted 4-3 in favor of full inclusion
Vote is 4-3 for inclusion.
No magnifying sights
Sunset provision to 2012
Palone, Isabella, Schleiden & Schreffler voted For.
Delaney, Boop & Weaner voted Against.

Sunset provision allows them to re-evaulate at a later date.

Patriot

RE: Crossbows legal in PA

Postby Patriot » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:05 pm

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.  There are obviously a lot of folks on both sides of the fence here. 

Bottom line, if it gets more folks involved in hunting, I think it's a good thing.  This assumes everyone involved (vertical and crossbow hunters alike) are taking good, clean, ethical shots.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:17 pm

regardless of what weapon is used, you will have the errant shots, sloppy shots, etc. Contrary to popular opinion within some circles, no one form of hunting holds a monopoly on "Ethical" behavior.

The data shows that older hunter retention rises dramatically with crossbow inclusion

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:30 am

ORIGINAL: Highlander Archery

regardless of what weapon is used, you will have the errant shots, sloppy shots, etc. Contrary to popular opinion within some circles, no one form of hunting holds a monopoly on "Ethical" behavior.

The data shows that older hunter retention rises dramatically with crossbow inclusion.

You make a good point, HA. In a way, the crossbow is just one more "primitive" kind of weapon that is enhanced through modern technology, just like an in-line muzzleloader. We need to remember that it's not the weapon that is the cause of these things.

Steve

coach

Postby coach » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:01 am

Most people that uses crossbows.....were actually Bow Hunters before.  I still use my recurve, compound and my crossbow.

I target practice up to 40 yards.  I could up to 50, but i don't feel comfortable. So I don't do it.

My Excalibur Pheonix crossbow, goes 305-310 feet per second.  You now have bows that goes faster. 
The only real differences with crossbows and bows....is

-  less movement
-  you may gain a little more distance (10-15 yrds)
-  some may go a little faster

What else ?  
Its legal here in Ontario....I'm trying to understand people against it.  Don't get it.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Return to Breaking News