Virginia County Bans Rifles for Deer Hunting

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Corey Graff

Virginia County Bans Rifles for Deer Hunting

Postby Corey Graff » Fri May 16, 2008 11:42 am

The Charles City, Virginia County Board of Supervisors voted 2 to 1 last week to prohibit rifles during the firearms deer hunting season, drawing the ire of many hunters in attendance.

The vote reversed a decision made by the same body (albeit with different
members) less than three years ago, which allowed deer hunting with rifles.

Supporters of the ban voiced concerns about safety, despite the fact that not one documented accident has occurred since rifles were approved for use.

However, a representative of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, provided current data on Virginia¹s hunter safety record is, insisting that it is hunter safety training, and not restrictive regulations, that prevent hunting accidents in the field.

County resident Chuck Schreiber pointed out that rifles are legal in neighboring Henrico County, which has 238 people per square mile. ³But Charles City County only has 34,² Schreiber explained. ³There are enough facts to prove this is not a safety issue,² he continued. ³If it was, I¹d be the first one to support it.²

------------------
D&DH Readers - What do you think? Afterall, this could be coming to a neighborhood near you....

D&DH Online Editor
http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com

hunter480

RE: Virginia County Bans Rifles for Deer Hunting

Postby hunter480 » Sun May 18, 2008 7:32 am

It`s a tough issue for sure. I believe if we are to err, we need to err on the side of safety. If in doubt at all, then certainly, limit hunting to weapons of very limited range.

In my opinion, this issue only highlights a much broader issue we all need to face, discuss, and begin to meet with lawmakers about. That is the diminishing habitat of the white-tail deer, and the loss of hunting lands to developement, be it commercial OR residential.

bad faulkner

Postby bad faulkner » Mon May 19, 2008 4:47 am

Not sure this is a habitat or safety issue.  Seems like opponents of this action made it very clear that human population isn't dense and that no accidents had occurred.  I need more facts from both sides, but on the surface this seems like needless regulation.  But before I assume anti-hunters are at work, I'd have to hear from some reasonable people in that area, however. 

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat May 24, 2008 5:03 am

ORIGINAL: bad faulkner

Not sure this is a habitat or safety issue.  Seems like opponents of this action made it very clear that human population isn't dense and that no accidents had occurred.  I need more facts from both sides, but on the surface this seems like needless regulation.  But before I assume anti-hunters are at work, I'd have to hear from some reasonable people in that area, however. 

Of course the opponents of this measure would claim that safety isn`t an issue, what else would you expect?
And it would be negligent to wait for even one hunting accident to occur before a change is made. How many injurys or deaths would have to happen before you`d think it would be time to rethink what weapons are ok`d to hunt with?

[8|]

scotman

Postby scotman » Sat May 24, 2008 4:16 pm

I believe guns don't kill people. People kill people. Their is alot of brush rifles out there that only shoot 200-300 yards. Im against any law the limits my right to bear arms in any way. It is the hunter behind the rifle that needs to exercise responsibility and precaution on which way to shoot and when to shoot. I'm tired of politicians trying to idiot proof society.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:29 pm

Lord knows, I'd never tell somebody what they have to hunt with. In fact, if they decided to allow a week-long spear season in late September, I'd probably be at the local pro shop next week testing Easton's newest spears. But guys, I'm telling you, I really think there's some connection between rifle seasons and fewer mature bucks. Eliminate rifle season, shorten the overall shotgun season, and I'll bet you start to see bigger bucks.

The safety issue doesn't hold water. I'm pretty sure that more hunters are hurt or killed because of treestand falls than rifle mishaps, and they aren't going to ban treestands any time soon.

(I don't even like typing "ban" and "gun" in the same paragraph, though, kinda makes my skin crawl)

ibewman

Postby ibewman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:59 pm

im not sure of the specifics but in westvirginia the counties that r bow only have the bigger bucks in the state

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:37 pm

Once again the HSUS propaganda machine scores a victory while hunters who believed it would never happen to them get the shaft.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:15 am

The state of IL. has done pretty good so far without the use of rifles for deer season.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Bobcat264

Postby Bobcat264 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:40 pm

Scotman is right on the money.  I too am tired of some politician trying to take away another of my rights and somehow protect me from myself.
What information did the Board of Supervisors use to make this decision?  Was it a safety issue?  Was it a game management issue? Why did they allow rifles three years ago and now decide to reverse their ruling?  I need more info...
I was involved in a similar debate around 15 years ago. I investigated (using Va. Game Dept. information) the hunting accidents involved with both rifles and shotguns(with slugs and buckshot) in the state of Virginia.  Shotgun accidents happened almost three times as often as accidents with rifles while hunting.  Another amazing fact was that accidents with shotguns occured at longer ranges than rifles. Now, a lot has changed in 15 years, mainly in the ballistic performances of new ammunition.  Muzzleloaders and shotgunners can achieve amazing accuracy out to 200 yards.  If the decision of the Board of Supervisors was made based on safety concerns with rifles, I suggest they review the capabilities of all firearms.

Next

Return to Breaking News