High urban deer numbers tempt poachers

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
dtrain56

RE: High urban deer numbers tempt poachers

Postby dtrain56 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:11 pm

They cull deer in Irondiquoit , NY by using bowhunters . The town used to pay off duty cops to shoot them over bait piles but it was costing the town too much . If they got the deer numbers down too quick , there goes the gravey pay . I always thought they should have paid the cops only when they shot a deer .
Anyway , they opened it up to Bow Hunters a few years ago . You need to shoot a special score to get certified and you are placed in a designated spot . I think (but not sure) that the bowhunters are allowed to hunt between 8 am - 12 noon .
It has been working for the town ..........

this is an awesome way to do it would love to see it adopted in other states and areas

saoirseglen

RE: High urban deer numbers tempt poachers

Postby saoirseglen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:04 am

I am uncertain what I want to say on this issue, but it seems that on the one hand we have someone reducing a metro deer population by one deer, which could have cause a car-deer accident and possibly killed one or more people. On the other hand we have a metro that refuses to issue permits or even help hunters find ways to reduce the metro deer populations in more desired ways. From my point of view the guy likely could not have done more harm than the deer, actually it might have even been less if he had missed the deer, with traffic that close.

I also do not think it is financially sound to hire snipers and pay police officers to kill deer as it costs tax dollars and public service resources. It also raises the question about how only the "officials" can be trusted to shoot firearms within municipal limits while killing deer yet hunters cannot be trusted with even a bow or crossbow.

Perhaps we need to hold municipalities liable for any damages and deaths caused by preventing hunters from keeping herds small if not nonexistent within the municipal limits.

Then again, I guess government would rather have people put themselves on road kill lists so they can get venison after someone is injured or killed by a deer rather than let hunters kill them before someone is harmed.

Previous

Return to Breaking News