Bush Administration Guts Endangered Species Act

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
ranwin33

Bush Administration Guts Endangered Species Act

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:55 am

Outgoing Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne has just finalized last-minute regulations gutting the endangered species act, a move opposed by the public, Congress, and President-elect Obama, but a favorite cause of the oil, coal and mining industries, as well as the free-market, anti-regulatory ideologues who brought us our current recession.

Under a rule submitted in November, federal agencies would no longer be required to have government scientists assess the impact on imperiled species before giving the go-ahead to logging, mining, drilling, highway building or other development.  According to Carl Pope, executive director of the Sierra Club, "They've taken the single biggest threat to wildlife and said, 'We're going to pretend it doesn't exist, for regulatory purposes.'"

H. Dale Hall, director of Fish and Wildlife, said he had concerns about how fast the estimated 235,000 public comments were processed. Staff assigned to the job spent eight hours a day tabulating the comments. Working under strict time restraints, agency employees had nine seconds to read each letter, according to one calculation.  Officials said that more than 200,000 of the comments opposed the rule change. The Bush Administration also may have violated procedures by improperly dispensing with the overwhelmingly negative public comment on the new regulations

As Jamie Rappaport Clark, a former director of the US Fish and Wildlife Service, now with Defenders of Wildlife, put it: "This administration's disdain for wildlife and the environment has never been more clear than it is today... They are doing everything they can to cement their anti-environmental legacy before the Obama administration takes office."
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

RE: Bush Administration Guts Endangered Species Act

Postby JPH » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:02 am

Well before the landslide of Bush defenders pile on you, I'd like to thank you for posting this Ranwin33. It's a bit partisan, but that is nothing new here.

While I am no liberal or fan of Obama, I think that we must keep our eyes open toward both ends of the political spectrum and watch them closely. Thanks for not giving the Bush admin. a free pass.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:13 am

Oil Tycoon Bush is just making sure once he leaves office it won't be hard for his family to continue to receive oil industry royalties!  Bush doesn't care about the environment, since being in office it's been nothing but bomb this and bomb that.  I've never been an Obama supporter but at this point the faster the Oil Tycoon Bush gets out of office the better!  Isn't it amazing how oil and gas prices rose steadily during Bush's 2nd term and now that he's leaving prices are back to where they were 5 years ago before he started his second term!  Ok JPH, now that I've stirred it up too the Bush supporters can pile on!  I can't wait to hear the excuses!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:27 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Well before the landslide of Bush defenders pile on you, I'd like to thank you for posting this Ranwin33. It's a bit partisan, but that is nothing new here.

While I am no liberal or fan of Obama, I think that we must keep our eyes open toward both ends of the political spectrum and watch them closely. Thanks for not giving the Bush admin. a free pass.

You're welcome.  Yeah, I had to think about it awhile before I posted it - figuring the grief I'd take.  But over the last couple of years I have become a bit more environmentally conscience - mostly because of the farm we purchased and the work we're trying to do there - so I figured what the heck, you've got to be willing to take the bad with the good if you're going to be a proponent of something.

It is a bit partisan, but trust me, I won't be giving Obama a free pass either when it comes to conservation.  We really do owe it to our children to do right with our lands.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:44 am

Ranwin33 no need to worry about this post, what you posted is excellent!  I've been environmentally concious my whole life but it wasn't until I took up hunting full time that I learned to appreciate nature and the environment at it's fullest.  Older and wiser I guess. 

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:52 am

ORIGINAL: 69Viking

Ranwin33 no need to worry about this post, what you posted is excellent!  I've been environmentally concious my whole life but it wasn't until I took up hunting full time that I learned to appreciate nature and the environment at it's fullest.  Older and wiser I guess. 

I would agree, the hunting really drives it home.
Aldo Leopold

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:35 am

Good post Ranwin. Hopefully, Obama's administration can over turn this mistake.  We are all stewards of the environment to the extent that no president or congress has a blank check to manipulate the environmental laws without review and screening by the people.
you never shoot a buck from the couch

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:51 am

I`m not ashamed to say I`m a huge Bush supporter. I`m also not adverse to stating that I do not, and never have endorsed everything that`s come out of the Administration; this would be one of those I can`t endorse.

Even though the Republican platform seems to represent many of my values and beliefs, that same party has had a terrible record in the area of conservation and environmentalism. Just an aside, c`mon, to infer that the Oval Office could be used to further an oil/income agenda is to show that you don`t understand how the office works.

But absolutely, this can`t be tolerated;and so my question is, besides writing about it here, and getting the information out, what will we do about this?

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:47 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480
But absolutely, this can`t be tolerated;and so my question is, besides writing about it here, and getting the information out, what will we do about this?

Suggestions?

Aldo Leopold

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:07 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

ORIGINAL: hunter480

Suggestions?

I have many, many, "frequent writer miles" piled up with my elected officials. Whenever something like this occurs, you must write them, "them" being members of the House, Senators, party leaders on the commitees, and even the White House.

Don`t simply write to express opposition, explain your concerns, and ask for a clear explanation of their position on the issue, as well as a brief summary of what they are going to do to represent your position on the matter.

Next

Return to Breaking News