Bush Administration Guts Endangered Species Act

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
ranwin33

RE: Bush Administration Guts Endangered Species Act

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:41 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

But absolutely, this can`t be tolerated;and so my question is, besides writing about it here, and getting the information out, what will we do about this?

Suggestions?

I have many, many, "frequent writer miles" piled up with my elected officials. Whenever something like this occurs, you must write them, "them" being members of the House, Senators, party leaders on the commitees, and even the White House.

Don`t simply write to express opposition, explain your concerns, and ask for a clear explanation of their position on the issue, as well as a brief summary of what they are going to do to represent your position on the matter.

Do you really think this makes a difference?  Not being cynical but I wish someone could make me believe it did.  I've done the email and letter writing stuff as well, but usually what I get in return is a form letter spouting the party line - if I get a reply at all.  After awhile, I just begin to wonder what's the use.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:05 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: hunter480
But absolutely, this can`t be tolerated;and so my question is, besides writing about it here, and getting the information out, what will we do about this?

Suggestions?

I have many, many, "frequent writer miles" piled up with my elected officials. Whenever something like this occurs, you must write them, "them" being members of the House, Senators, party leaders on the commitees, and even the White House.

Don`t simply write to express opposition, explain your concerns, and ask for a clear explanation of their position on the issue, as well as a brief summary of what they are going to do to represent your position on the matter.

Do you really think this makes a difference?  Not being cynical but I wish someone could make me believe it did.  I've done the email and letter writing stuff as well, but usually what I get in return is a form letter spouting the party line - if I get a reply at all.  After awhile, I just begin to wonder what's the use.

[/quote]

As in shooting, and athletics, it`s all about follow-thru......

Writing to elected officials is the minimum.......if you want to go further, and not many will take the time, you can certainly do more. Research to determin who the opposition is to the bill you disapprove of. Contact those officials as well, and they will gladly tell you of their efforts to unhinge the bill. They`ll share ways you can become involved and enlist more help. Many times it`s at the grass root level, which can be extremely effective, other times it`s more letter writing, signing petitions, etc.

Believe me, I fully understand your feeling disillusioned and jaded with the political process, it`s easy to feel powerless, and some want you to feel like that. But there is much that can be done, you just have to be willing to commit time, and maybe even a few personal resources. We can`t all tackle every challenge that comes along, but we can choose a few key issues, and adpot them, pursue them, and become part of the answer.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:44 pm

Ran, it most definitely works. We had a host of anti gun bills that our Governor was insane about pushing through. He cited a poll from CeaseFire PA that was so far from reality that I let every legislator I knew know about it and the 100 people they polled were offset by over 1000 that emailed, wrote or called my legislator in 24 hrs. He was against the bills to begin with, but pulled me aside at a meeting with Chris Cox from NRA to make sure I knew the volume of contacts and that he would in no way, shape or form vote for any of these.

There is one thing that can always be said if you do write and it falls on deaf ears... At least I tried, did you?

That one little phrase, more than anything, will shut up anyone who wants to complain when it fails to go their way.

Now as far as the endangered species act goes...the overall evidence is clear that the antis have abused it and the process for decades, most recently regarding Polar Bears and Gray Wolves. Before writing this order off as completely bad, look to the overall big picture. Love Bush or hate him, many of the victories that hunters have won in the last 8 years have been a direct result of Bush's efforts.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:11 pm

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:24 am

I can see it being much more successful on the local level, but not so sure on the national level - unless you've got some big bucks to contribute, and I don't mean deer. 

Missouri just decided to not follow through on some proposed regulatory changes due to public input, which I was happy to see.  I wish our national reps were as responsive.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:49 am

Missouri just decided to not follow through on some proposed regulatory changes due to public input, which I was happy to see. 

?????
Do tell!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:01 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Missouri just decided to not follow through on some proposed regulatory changes due to public input, which I was happy to see. 

?????
Do tell!

Oh, we're still getting the shaft - but it works out better for the resident hunters.

Here is link - also put post on Missouri Forum: http://mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/news/news_search.cgi?item=1229703999,77139,

Aldo Leopold

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:12 am

I can see it being much more successful on the local level, but not so sure on the national level - unless you've got some big bucks to contribute, and I don't mean deer. 

Missouri just decided to not follow through on some proposed regulatory changes due to public input, which I was happy to see.  I wish our national reps were as responsive.

National level is just as vital to at least try, no matter how jaded you may become. BUT it is imperative that your efforts roll to the next election cycle. Unfortunately, there are certain things that are political realities as can be evidenced by the recently passed NICS Improvement Act. The bill was going to pass regardless and NRA was able to have a seat at the table, ultimately removing the most damaging stuff and replacing it with language that actually helped gun owners.

Previous

Return to Breaking News