Wildlife Officers Charge Three Suspects with Spotlighting in Ohio

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
FFKEVIN

Wildlife Officers Charge Three Suspects with Spotlighting in Ohio

Postby FFKEVIN » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:39 pm

[font=tahoma]11/05/2008[/font]
[font=tahoma]Wildlife Officers Charge Three Suspects with Spotlighting in RossCounty[/font]
[font=tahoma]Officials seize trophy deer valued at nearly $13,000[/font][/align][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][font=tahoma]ATHENS, OH – State Wildlife Officers apprehended three suspects last weekend for the alleged illegal taking of white-tailed deer, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife.[/font][/align][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][font=tahoma]Wildlife Officers conducting surveillance in several areas, including Ross County, late Friday night observed vehicle lights cast into a remote field in Concord Township, near Old US 35 and Goodhope Road. Upon investigation, officers apprehended three individuals and seized a trophy white-tailed deer, two firearms, rifle ammunition, a spotlight, and a hunting knife.[/font][/align][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][font=tahoma]Charges have been filed in the Chillicothe Municipal Court and they include; spotlighting, taking a deer after legal hunting hours, taking a deer with a rifle, aiding an individual in the unlawful taking of a wild animal, and deterring an officer. [/font][/align][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][font=tahoma]- Cory A. Posey, 18, of South Salem has been charged with taking a deer with a rifle, deterring an officer and taking a deer after hours.[/font][/align][font=tahoma]- Kyle E. Kruger, 20, of Washington Court House has been charged with spotlighting, deterring an officer, aiding an individual in the unlawful taking of a wild animal.[/font][/align][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][font=tahoma]Charges on a juvenile are pending.[/font][/align][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][font=tahoma]If convicted, suspects may face fines, jail time, restitution, and forfeiture of hunting privileges.  All illegally taken wildlife, as well as firearms used in the violations, may also be ordered forfeited. [/font][/align][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][font=tahoma]Wildlife officials will also seek restitution under the revised wildlife restitution law. The restitution law allows the Ohio Division of Wildlife to seek a recovery value on illegally taken wildlife, including trophy white tailed deer. The law provides a formula that considers the antler size of deer that meet minimum criteria of at least 125 Boone and Crockett (B&C) inches. The deer seized in Ross County has a gross-score of 186 7/8. When restitution formula is applied, the allegedly poached deer has a recovery value of $12,988. [/font][/align][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][font=tahoma]Many investigations and surveillances operations are the result of concerned citizen reports and calls to the Turn-in-a-Poacher hotline.   Callers can leave information on the TIP line 24 hours a day and may be left anonymously. To report a wildlife violation, call 1-800-POACHER, a county wildlife officer, or submit information online at www.wildohio.com [/font][/align][font=tahoma][/font][/align][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][font=tahoma][/font][/align][font=tahoma]The recovery value for individual white-tailed deer is derived from the formula listed in 1531.201 of the Ohio Revised Code. The value is determined by measuring the antlers and using the following formula plus the value derived for wildlife species in the wild animal value formula (Currently $500 for antlered deer, 3/4/08). The formula for white tailed deer will be applied to all individuals whose gross score exceeds 125 Boone and Crockett (B&C) inches. The formula is: [/font][/align][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][font=tahoma]Recovery Value = ((gross score - 100)2 x $1.65) plus the value derived in the Wildlife Value Formula. [/font][/align] [/align]

�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

PrairieShadow

RE: Wildlife Officers Charge Three Suspects with Spotlighting in Ohio

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:45 pm

This was posted here in the last week or so.

And how did a 12yr old get a C/O job?[:D]

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=13356
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:55 am

This makes me sick seeing this animal taken without fair chase[:'(]  I wish I could meet these two so I could spit on them while walking past their jail cell.  [:@][:@][:@][:@]  Throwing the book at these two wouldn't be enough in "my book".  No pun intended!!!
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:02 am

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

This was posted here in the last week or so.

[font=tahoma]Sorry about that, when I read that post, I didn't click on the link.  Since it said poacher and not poacher[color=#ff0000]s, I assumed it was a different story.  Plus my post looks better [:D] Just Kidding...  my bad [:@][/color][/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

This makes me sick seeing this animal taken without fair chase[:'(]  I wish I could meet these two so I could spit on them while walking past their jail cell.  [:@][:@][:@][:@]  Throwing the book at these two wouldn't be enough in "my book".  No pun intended!!!

[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]With the way our court system is these days, I am curious, to see what exactly their punishment and sentence is going to be.  I'll keep a look out in the news and post a follow up if I see anything.[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:19 pm

[font=tahoma]First case in Ohio involving new restitution value for white-tailed deer

Chillicothe, OH - Two men convicted of the illegal taking of white-tailed deer have been ordered to pay restitution of $12,988 according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife.

The Honorable Judge Thomas E. Bunch presided and assistant law director Michele Route prosecuted today over the first case in the State involving white-tailed deer restitution under Ohio's revised restitution law. The law went into effect March 2008 and allows the Ohio Division of Wildlife to seek an increased recovery value on all illegally harvested wildlife.

Cory A. Posey, 19, of South Salem has pled guilty to charges of taking a deer with a rifle, deterring an officer, taking a deer after hours, and taking more than one buck in a license year. Posey will pay $100 in fines, additional court costs, and $6,494 in restitution. He will serve 200 hours of community service, five years of community control and hunting privileges suspended for five years.

Kyle E. Kruger, 20, of Washington Court House has pled guilty to charges of spotlighting, deterring an officer, and aiding an individual in the unlawful taking of a wild animal. Kruger will pay $100 in fines, additional court costs, and $6,494 in restitution. He will serve 200 hours of community service, five years of community control and hunting privileges suspended for five years.

In addition to fines, restitution, license suspension and community service, the deer, firearms, and all other equipment used in the illegal activities were ordered forfeit. All venison was forfeited and will be donated to a local food pantry.
[/font]

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:58 am

WAHOOOOOOOOO!!! Looks like they really stuck it to them. AWESOME![:D][:D][:D]
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

jaybyrd450r

Postby jaybyrd450r » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:45 am

good next time mabey they wiil try to get permission to hunt the nice deer they see instead of out the truck window serves them right hopefully they have learned a lesson

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:20 am

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

And how did a 12yr old get a C/O job?[:D]

I thought the same thing when I first saw him around here a couple years ago, but don't let his appearance fool, so far he's helped take down "operation junkyard"                            http://www.peoplesdefender.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=2&ArticleID=127366                                       and now he's the first to hit anyone with the new revised restitution law.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Return to Breaking News