Knife Control In Massachussetts (Where Else?)

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Woods Walker

Knife Control In Massachussetts (Where Else?)

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:26 pm

Ordinance on knives offered

By Scott J. Croteau TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
scroteau@telegram.com

WORCESTER- A city ordinance regulating knife possession will be presented tomorrow to the City Council.

The ordinance, developed by the Police Department, Worcester District Attorney's office and city officials, would fine people $300 for carrying knives.

Over the past two months, there has been an upward trend in stabbings and other attacks in the city during which assailants used knives. Several attacks have led to deaths.

In response to the increased use of knives, the Police Department and Worcester District Attorney's office have been criminally charging people with carrying a dangerous weapon during a breach of the peace.

Over the past few weeks, several people have been stabbed outside bars during fights.

Last month, a Becker College student was stabbed to death, one of three people killed by a knife during the past two months.

"We're trying to get the kids out of the mindset that it is OK to carry a knife," Worcester District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr. said.

"We're planting a seed. We've have such a problem with knives being used in crimes we have to deal with it in a harsh manner."

Any knife with a blade larger than one-and-a-half inches would be illegal to carry under the proposed ordinance.

There are exceptions, however, such as knives used for hunting, fishing or for work.

People taking a knife home after just buying it, or taking it to be fixed, could also carry it under the proposed ordinance. The ordinance would not apply to businesses involved in selling knives for trade, sport or hobby.

Another section of the ordinance states that no one can give or deliver a knife to someone younger than 18.

It does not prohibit parents, grandparents or siblings 18 and older, however, from selling, giving or delivering a knife to their children, grandchildren or siblings.

Mr. Early said knife ordinances in other communities, such as Boston, were reviewed. He said he understands that the only penalty called for by the ordinance is a fine, but noted that it is being created as a way to shift the mindset people have about carrying knives for nefarious reasons.

There is no need to carry a knife to a bar or when someone is out late at night, he said. Knives are a very personal weapon, he said.

The knife attacks constitute an "epidemic" right now in the city, the district attorney said.

Police Chief Gary J. Gemme called the ordinance another tool to "assist us with this escalation of knife crimes and knife assaults."

Along with the ordinance and the use of the criminal law, Chief Gemme has placed a Fall Impact Program - a group of 18 additional officers - out on the streets at night.

The fall program is a continuation of the summer program, in which a patrol is added late at night into the early morning. The summer was quiet this year in the city, but September and October have been violent.

The additional patrols will continue until Nov. 30.

The Police Department also has an Anti-Crime Team, officers working bar details and regular patrols watching bars and other areas where attacks have occurred.

Chief Gemme said he hopes the strategies and the change in the weather will work to decrease violent attacks.

Police officials are projecting 148 stabbings by year's end if the trend continues.

The criminal law now being applied by police and prosecutors does include a limited list of knives.

People carrying only certain types of knives - as listed in the statute - can be charged with the carrying a weapon during a breach of the peace crime.

Mr. Early said yesterday the statute needs to be re-examined because people are carrying knives with smaller blades or other dangerous items, such as box cutters.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20081027/NEWS/810270361/1116
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

howhill1

RE: Knife Control In Massachussetts (Where Else?)

Postby howhill1 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:33 pm

whats next? rocks? cars? blunt objects? perhaps its time we started teaching our children the value of life instead of trying to legislate morality. were more intersted in making a child "feel good about themselves" than we are  teaching the valuble and sometimes hard lessons of life. lets start punishing criminals instead of medicating and phsycologically evaluating them at the taxpayers dime to just turn them back on society a smarter and more determined predator than they were before. in one week from tommorow we'll see what direction we choose to go in.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:39 pm

Same wrong thinking as is used in anti-gun laws...strip freedom instead of dealing with the people who misuse them.

But you haven`t seen anything yet. Reports I`ve read say the House will gain an even larger Demon-cratic majority, and with obama sitting in the Oval office, you`ll see anti-gun legislation that you never dreamed of in your worst nightmares.

Brace yourself, we`re heasding into a very dark period in this Country.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:42 pm

If ObaMarxist wins next week, take a real good look at the America that you've always known and remember it well, because after he's inaugarated, it will cease to exist. [:(]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:41 pm

I just want to know when Lawmakers will realize that you can not regulate criminals - and aren't there laws that put criminals in jail for murder and assault already....

how about enforce the laws there are and stop trying to take my rights away

The judicial system in this country sucks, in the book crime and punishment which is a cool read it suggests that inorder to deter criminal activity a judical system must have three components

1. Be fast
2. be just
3. be servere

wow ours has non of those things...it is slow( takes thirty years to use death penelty and years of litigation)..the wealthy get off... and you are actually allowed to get out of jail for rape, murder, and child molestation it also allows individuals to have multiple DUI's in states like Mass. and still drive around...

lets punish those who deserve it... not everyone..

politicians are idiots just look at the two guys running for president!!!
this would be like banning hunting because of a poacher....one apple dooes not spoil the bunch right

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:52 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

If ObaMarxist wins next week, take a real good look at the America that you've always known and remember it well, because after he's inaugarated, it will cease to exist. [:(]

Quite a few of you guys should really look at the other issues at hand here.  Myself, I normally vote Republican and have been brought up that way, but do I really want to have another 4-8 years of what we've had to deal with the last 8 years?  Um, no.  Gun rights are big, but again, there are bigger issues here.  How are we going to get our economy back to where it should be so we all have jobs and can feed our families?  How can we stop the bleeding so our parents can actually retire since they've worked so hard for us to have what we have...There are quite a few issues at hand here and all I hear is how gun rights this gun rights that.  Trust me our gun rights will not differ that much if at all if and when Obama becomes President...We all need to take the blinders off and take a look at the broader picture!  Just my opinion...

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:57 am

what happens when obama doubles otr tripples the taxes on buisnesses to " spread the wealth around"? do you think they'll take one for the team or pick up and move to canada or mexico and take they're jobs with them. thank you nafta.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:17 am

Watch what you wish for buckhunter21, you may get it......

http://oldbluewebdesigns.com/USSA.htm
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:25 am

I'm amazed to find someone on this forum supporting Obama.  With Obama as president this will no longer be a free country, end of story no matter what arguments you have.  We'll lose our ability to defend ourselves and before you know we'll be taken over by Islamic Extremists.  Paul Revere warned us the British were coming and we defeated them because we all had the right to bear arms and came together as a free country to defeat them.  When the Islamic Extremists come and the warning is sent out what are YOU going to do when you don't have any weapons to defend your freedom???   

Wake up people, I've voted Democrat for years but there is is no way I'll vote for a president willing to take our freedom away.  Sure the current Republican has made mistakes but do you really think John McCain isn't going to try and turn things around?  Already gas prices are back down to manageable levels and still going down.  Now just outlaw variable rate mortgages and a lot more problems would be solved.  The problems aren't just in this country either, around the world things are bad. 

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:42 am

Hard to believe they are considering this.  However, I remember reading when I was younger that man invented firearms because he was afraid of steel.  Over the years I have seen and heard enough to believe that.  I know I am, especially box cutters, half the time you cant see them before you get cut.  That being said, banning pocket knives, even the special purpose ones that have been all the rage in recent years, will not solve their problem in my belief.  Anything can be used as a weapon when one thinks about it.  Are you going to fine somebody for carrying a 3ft extension cord in their pocket because they might garrote someone?  You can do the same thing with a belt, so do we ban belts?  Or it is OK to carry inch long blades or work knives....A throat can be cut with a short blade just as easy as a long, also box cutters and utility knives are not what Crocodile Dundee carried but if the other guy/gal has nothing or the same thing they are something to see in action.  When I worked in Pine Bluff the gangster girls loved taking those orange handled box cutters into the plant. If there was a fight and someone hollered "blade" we, the supervisors, stopped trying to break it up and either us or security would generally try to end it using other means besides wading in and pulling apart.  My favorite was the high pressure hoses the sanitation department had hooked up for our use at shift change.  A stainless steel or plastic ice shovel comes in a close second.  All in all though when somebody hits the road with mischief towards others in their heart there's precious little you can do to change the outcome except defend yourself.  At that point all the morality and teachings of society has failed on the one hand and on the other it goes back to survival of the fittest or might makes right.     

Next

Return to Breaking News