Michigan Bans Baiting & Feeding

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Paul T.

RE: Michigan Bans Baiting & Feeding

Postby Paul T. » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:44 pm

My point about the U.p. comment was what I feel have made alot of lower pen. hunters feel as if it was a "knee jerk" reaction.  I agree and have hunted the Autrain river basin alot and never knew anyone in the area to hunt bait piles.  We prided ourselve "trolls" and Yoopers alike on the fact we hunted as natural in that area as possible.  WE had the stump sitters and the walkers all around and we ALL got along and looked forward to utilizing everyone's style to our best result.   Good luck to you and all this season I will not get to make the trip this year since my son's senior year in school is keeping us overly busy and BROKE!
Michigans Thumb!!!

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:11 pm

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

You were talking about treestands and ground hunting (blinds) above.  Look at your post above, man o man., the people you must deal with and the ignorance here.  You honestly don't think that bait piles concentrate deer more so than foodplots (which are multiple acreage) as opposed to literally square feet.  C'mon buddy, your credibility is really starting to wear thin here.  I thought you were smarter than that.  Also, if you read my post clearly and concisely before replying I distictly said,  I'll repeat for the record:

"I also prefer to stalk and hike when I scout new areas, I never stated this was the "best" method, only my favorite because I've learned so much practicing it that it is much more rewarding for "ME", keyword there, but maybe not everyone else. 

I'm not trying to push my philosophy on anyone as you can see if you read my post.  Geeeeeesh

Lastly, they are not banning hunting gutpile, only baiting.  Don't compare the two with total banning of coyotes, that ridiculous! HERES A NEWSFLASH;  YOU CAN STILL HUNT WHITETAIL, WITHOUT BAIT!!! AMAZING

Hers a news flash for ya when I said from the ground I didn't use the word blind, I said from the ground, but I guess in my ignorance you failed to read that. I never said anything about banning coyote hunting, I said the practice of hunting them at night. Again sorry for my ignorance on the fact you didn't read that.

Maybe I can be less ignorant and be a thorough reader like you. And what I am about to post might sound strange but I will say it anyway. When you ban a form of hunting, or a practice, it opens up the door to ban more. When you can get other hunters to follow and help push for a ban it actually weakens us as a whole. Strange I know!
 If a deer is infected with CWD and is a buck that deer will travel and come into contact with most deer in the area in his pursuit for a doe. and the does will get it and spread it to the other deer, so if CWD is in an area would baiting spread it more?
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

lemmondeer

Postby lemmondeer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:34 pm

think the ban on baiting stinks.  For two main reasons.  We need to get our kids involved in hunting! After all when we are gone they will be the ones supporting the outdoors.  I have taken my boy out hunting with me for the last 3 years.  He is 8 years old.  I do not hunt over bait without him, but with him I usually do so we can see a good number of deer.  He loved going out hunting.  Now lets face it, he is 8 and to get him to walk two miles to my "good" stand with out bait is unlikely (and no offense, but kids can be noisy, touch things, have to urinate, etc...not something I want to happen by my "good" stands).  I need to have a stand close, and one where he can see deer!  We have gone out 3 times together this season with the bait ban and only saw 2 does about 70 yards away.  This is not good.  Now he does not even want to go out, I do not blame him.  Young kids have short attention spans.  It is too bad.  The moral of it...Hunting over bait is no different than hunting at a ranch or an outfitter, it is true.  Too many deer in a small place can cause problems.  Hunting on state land is alot more difficult.  If I am filling some doe tags I try to do it with my son and at a short walking distance from the car and yes...over bait.  He gets to see more animals. The simple fact of the matter is that not alot of mature bucks come to bait, yes maybe if on a hot doe. But, not everyone is just after a buck...some of us are just trying to get some venison and introduce our children to the outdoors.  Anyways, we need to be filling more doe tags and what quicker way to do it than over bait with your kid.  People need to envision themselves in the shoes of others...not all Michigan hunters can afford to pay to hunt at a ranch, not all Michigan hunters have access to private land and farms, How often are you able to pick a stand spot on state land that your young children can make it too where you will actually see a good number of deer without a concentrated food source?  I mean really?  Real hunter or not.  It is time I have to spend with my child, I want him too like it not think it is boring.  When he gets older he will learn the actual art of hunting, now I have to just get him to like it! For those that are "preaching" how horrible it is to hunt over bait I have a question...An HONEST answer would be appreciated.  How many of you actually bowhunt hunt on STATE land (not a farm, not a ranch, not an outfitter) exclusively and year after year kill mature bucks?  You don't have to answer on here but think about it.  State land is tough hunting, there is no doubt about it.  You definately can arrow some monsters on state land but it usually takes countless hours and hours of scouting to do this.  Not all of us have those countless hours and hours to scout and hunt state land that is far away from our home...some of us have to work, are in school, have functions at our children's schools.    We need to accommodate those individuals too, whether you like it or not.  We need to be able to get our children interested.  And not all of us can afford 500.00 management hunts for our children on a ranch! I don't think that all of you "real" hunters can control the entire michigan deer population all by yourselves either (state land I mean, I am not talking about the deer population on a farm or a ranch)  Can I just say one other thing...I have never hunted on a deer ranch...but I have hunted on many commercial lands, and farms.  The difficulty level in shooting a mature buck on a farm or a commercial land is so much easier that on state land.  When I get permission to hunt on a farm I have always harvested a mature buck...always.  The difficulty levels goes way down compared to state land.  This is from experience.  I am just saying, unless you are an exclusive STATE LAND hunter, I don't think you really have the right to say that you can take mature bucks every year without the use of bait unless you do it year after year on STATE LAND yourself!  Those who do should really be commended...those are the REAL hunters!  I am not taking about myself either...I pale in comparison to those guys!

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:20 am

If a deer is infected with CWD and is a buck that deer will travel and come into contact with most deer in the area in his pursuit for a doe. and the does will get it and spread it to the other deer, so if CWD is in an area would baiting spread it more?
[/quote

Yes, and if you think baiting will not spread the disease more rapidly and expose deer in higher concentrations then you are flat out ignorant because baiting, as everyone here knows, concentrates deer in a small area thereby increasing the risk of communicable diseases.  Browsing is much different than "trough" feeding.  I hope you can see that!
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:41 am

ORIGINAL: lemmondeer

think the ban on baiting stinks.  For two main reasons.  We need to get our kids involved in hunting! After all when we are gone they will be the ones supporting the outdoors.  I have taken my boy out hunting with me for the last 3 years.  He is 8 years old.  I do not hunt over bait without him, but with him I usually do so we can see a good number of deer.  He loved going out hunting.  Now lets face it, he is 8 and to get him to walk two miles to my "good" stand with out bait is unlikely (and no offense, but kids can be noisy, touch things, have to urinate, etc...not something I want to happen by my "good" stands).  I need to have a stand close, and one where he can see deer!  We have gone out 3 times together this season with the bait ban and only saw 2 does about 70 yards away.  This is not good.  Now he does not even want to go out, I do not blame him.  Young kids have short attention spans.  It is too bad.  The moral of it...Hunting over bait is no different than hunting at a ranch or an outfitter, it is true.  Too many deer in a small place can cause problems.  Hunting on state land is alot more difficult.  If I am filling some doe tags I try to do it with my son and at a short walking distance from the car and yes...over bait.  He gets to see more animals. The simple fact of the matter is that not alot of mature bucks come to bait, yes maybe if on a hot doe. But, not everyone is just after a buck...some of us are just trying to get some venison and introduce our children to the outdoors.  Anyways, we need to be filling more doe tags and what quicker way to do it than over bait with your kid.  People need to envision themselves in the shoes of others...not all Michigan hunters can afford to pay to hunt at a ranch, not all Michigan hunters have access to private land and farms, How often are you able to pick a stand spot on state land that your young children can make it too where you will actually see a good number of deer without a concentrated food source?  I mean really?  Real hunter or not.  It is time I have to spend with my child, I want him too like it not think it is boring.  When he gets older he will learn the actual art of hunting, now I have to just get him to like it! For those that are "preaching" how horrible it is to hunt over bait I have a question...An HONEST answer would be appreciated.  How many of you actually bowhunt hunt on STATE land (not a farm, not a ranch, not an outfitter) exclusively and year after year kill mature bucks?  You don't have to answer on here but think about it.  State land is tough hunting, there is no doubt about it.  You definately can arrow some monsters on state land but it usually takes countless hours and hours of scouting to do this.  Not all of us have those countless hours and hours to scout and hunt state land that is far away from our home...some of us have to work, are in school, have functions at our children's schools.    We need to accommodate those individuals too, whether you like it or not.  We need to be able to get our children interested.  And not all of us can afford 500.00 management hunts for our children on a ranch! I don't think that all of you "real" hunters can control the entire michigan deer population all by yourselves either (state land I mean, I am not talking about the deer population on a farm or a ranch)  Can I just say one other thing...I have never hunted on a deer ranch...but I have hunted on many commercial lands, and farms.  The difficulty level in shooting a mature buck on a farm or a commercial land is so much easier that on state land.  When I get permission to hunt on a farm I have always harvested a mature buck...always.  The difficulty levels goes way down compared to state land.  This is from experience.  I am just saying, unless you are an exclusive STATE LAND hunter, I don't think you really have the right to say that you can take mature bucks every year without the use of bait unless you do it year after year on STATE LAND yourself!  Those who do should really be commended...those are the REAL hunters!  I am not taking about myself either...I pale in comparison to those guys!

Here is my thoughts on children and hunting.  You should teach your children from the start that hunting is not always a successful venture.  Nature is not always in our favor and teach them to value the time you spend with each other, father and son/daughter, rather than the reward of an animal at the end of the hunt.  Results in the game is not the goal and never should be with a child.  The enjoyment of nature, comradity, wildlife viewing of all species while hunting are far more important than the kill.  The earlier the child gets this into their head the quicker they are to enjoy hunting than expecting results on every outing and will welcome the chance to go out with Dad, not express that "what's the point".  That is why they call it hunting, is it not?  I am ashamed at all the parents out there that use their kids as tools or pry levers to justify their views on baiting.  Shame on you!  You should be teaching your kids that hunting is much more than the "kill" itself and implant the values of ethics, morals, and patience in the woods first and foremost.  And, if you kid tells you he/she doesn't want to hunt anymore, fine, but you should make every effort to coax him and teach him the value of nature as opposed to their video games.  I'll tell you one thing, my father did this at a very early age with me and even took me out when I didn't want to at times, but I look back at those hunts that didn't produce even one deer sighting and I think those may be some of the most memorable hunts with my father because we connected and interacted with each other.  It was never about results, just spending quality time together.  I'm thankful he got me away from the TV and instilled those ideals into me and your child will too when they get older.  Make them understand there are less privelaged kids that don't even have the chance to hunt, let alone see a deer every time out.  Also, if you value the time with your child enough you will include them in scouting and venturing in the outdoors or where you hunt to become a better hunter by finding bedding, feeding, and travel corridors.  Put the time in if its that important to you and your son/daughter.  If it's not, then quit and don't complain to anyone about it and realize baiting concentrates deer into tight quarters where communicable diseases more rapidly spread and then watch out, you may not have a deer population at all in 10 years!!! Then none of us will see a deer.  I've never hunted at a ranch and the thought makes me sick by the way!  Bottomline, if its important to you, you will put in the time and effort.  I'm sick of people looking for the easy way every time they approach a hobby, sport, job, whatever.  Whatever happened to hard work gets results?  Now that is something to teach our children!!!
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:24 am

[/quote

Yes, and if you think baiting will not spread the disease more rapidly and expose deer in higher concentrations then you are flat out ignorant because baiting, as everyone here knows, concentrates deer in a small area thereby increasing the risk of communicable diseases.  Browsing is much different than "trough" feeding.  I hope you can see that!

my ignorance blinds me from seeing anything. But I do not see baiting drawing deer in from afar. maybe I am wrong and the deer will travel many hundreds of  miles after getting a wiff of bait.. Or it will just draw in the ones in the immediate area..

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:33 am

Here is my thoughts on children and hunting.  You should teach your children from the start that hunting is not always a successful venture.  Nature is not always in our favor and teach them to value the time you spend with each other, father and son/daughter, rather than the reward of an animal at the end of the hunt.  Results in the game is not the goal and never should be with a child.  The enjoyment of nature, comradity, wildlife viewing of all species while hunting are far more important than the kill.  The earlier the child gets this into their head the quicker they are to enjoy hunting than expecting results on every outing and will welcome the chance to go out with Dad, not express that "what's the point".  That is why they call it hunting, is it not?  I am ashamed at all the parents out there that use their kids as tools or pry levers to justify their views on baiting.  Shame on you!  You should be teaching your kids that hunting is much more than the "kill" itself and implant the values of ethics, morals, and patience in the woods first and foremost.  And, if you kid tells you he/she doesn't want to hunt anymore, fine, but you should make every effort to coax him and teach him the value of nature as opposed to their video games.  I'll tell you one thing, my father did this at a very early age with me and even took me out when I didn't want to at times, but I look back at those hunts that didn't produce even one deer sighting and I think those may be some of the most memorable hunts with my father because we connected and interacted with each other.  It was never about results, just spending quality time together.  I'm thankful he got me away from the TV and instilled those ideals into me and your child will too when they get older.  Make them understand there are less privelaged kids that don't even have the chance to hunt, let alone see a deer every time out.  Also, if you value the time with your child enough you will include them in scouting and venturing in the outdoors or where you hunt to become a better hunter by finding bedding, feeding, and travel corridors.  Put the time in if its that important to you and your son/daughter.  If it's not, then quit and don't complain to anyone about it and realize baiting concentrates deer into tight quarters where communicable diseases more rapidly spread and then watch out, you may not have a deer population at all in 10 years!!! Then none of us will see a deer.  I've never hunted at a ranch and the thought makes me sick by the way!  Bottomline, if its important to you, you will put in the time and effort.  I'm sick of people looking for the easy way every time they approach a hobby, sport, job, whatever.  Whatever happened to hard work gets results?  Now that is something to teach our children!!!

Kids have very little attention spans, thats a fact! Getting them a kill will keep them hunting! They will learn over time what hunting is about, and they will not understand at early ages as to why daddy likes to sit in a tree for hours and just sit and sit. Myself I believe you should let the youngins go and kill easy game like tree rats, rabbits. get them wanting to go take them scouting were they have to walk around with you. But yes the kill is very important for kids. And shame on you for telling parents they are doing something wrong, by trying to get their kids on a kill you are not the sole authority on teaching of hunting do it your way let the others do it their's..  

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:43 am

ORIGINAL: gutpile

Kids have very little attention spans, thats a fact! Getting them a kill will keep them hunting! They will learn over time what hunting is about, and they will not understand at early ages as to why daddy likes to sit in a tree for hours and just sit and sit. Myself I believe you should let the youngins go and kill easy game like tree rats, rabbits. get them wanting to go take them scouting were they have to walk around with you. But yes the kill is very important for kids. And shame on you for telling parents they are doing something wrong, by trying to get their kids on a kill you are not the sole authority on teaching of hunting do it your way let the others do it their's..  

I agree with both, I think it's important to get kids started on squirrels and rabbits and small game that doesn't require a lot patience and sitting.  I also think it's important that kids learn early that your not always going to come home with something, that's not all about going out shooting animals and that sometimes you need to put in some hard work and time to be successful.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Smoothbore

Postby Smoothbore » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:11 am

Hey gutpile,

You'd probably be better off banging your head against a wall rather than arguing with him you can put out exact facts and he'll completely ignore them. His way is the best way all others are inferior and stupid. Just remember we're just fat lazy ignorant hicks here[8|]

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:20 pm

ORIGINAL: Smoothbore

Hey gutpile,

You'd probably be better off banging your head against a wall rather than arguing with him you can put out exact facts and he'll completely ignore them. His way is the best way all others are inferior and stupid. Just remember we're just fat lazy ignorant hicks here[8|]

I am just to ignorant to quit...[:D]

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News