Is this the Field and Stream Monster Buck???

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Gafrage

RE: Is this the Field and Stream Monster Buck???

Postby Gafrage » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:55 am

You bring up a good point.  Although, I think they have both typical and non-typical for that reason.  Because although they are both just antlers, there is something special about a typical rack too!  If we were to just do it as one joint, then the typical racks would be forgotten all too fast, and though the non-typical racks are very unique the typical racks are almost perfect in symmetry which is just as unique, in it's own special way.

eddie1

Postby eddie1 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:54 pm

As for letting him grow a couple of more years to see what he would then look like, not in front of me either![:)][:)]

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:09 pm

Just another monster from Wisconsin hell yeah.. I believe it is the same buck from the field and stream video without a doubt the big tine coming off the left main beam that tilts in looks like the video buck....

This buck has a lot more mass than Milo's buck I think it has a chance. It will probably be the state record anyways, and probably the archery world record. But Honestly who cares what record it breaks I know I wouldnt care if I shot it because I know I would have big time bragging rights at our hunting camp for ohh lets see, ever. still a great animal that I dont think anybody pro or joe would pass it up.

Does anybody know what the current archery world record typical is right now what the score is and what state did it come from?

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:12 pm

Im not sure if its him either..But he really is a monster. I cant believe how young he is.. I wish we all took a guess when the video first came out on here a few months ago. I cant believe what he coulda been. I wouldnt have passed on him.. But just knowing he was that young is unreal. Glad to hear he wasnt poached.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:27 pm

That's a beautiful deer.  You have to love that it's from Wisconsin too!  I don't think we get the credit for being a top Whitetail state like we should, but this sure puts us on the map.  This is just about 30 min from where I hunt!

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:35 am

ORIGINAL: ReflexHunter

I definately would have passed that deer up based on its age, and it is a little small for my liking. I would have let him grow to at least five and a half or so.  JUST KIDDING!!!!!!  I am not that crazy!  That is an awesome deer and if it doesn't break the record because of deductions it would be a shame, to me character of a rack is just as important as everything else.  Whoever decided that a rack that is not perfect gets downscored is an idiot!  If you ask me the antlers should be scored on volume not inches.  This could be done by simply submerging the rack in water and measuring the displacement, it would be much more accurate and would not discriminate against "Imperfect" antlers. 

This measurement idea about volume is a superb idea.  I may start a thread on this.  I like the idea of volume, but you should still seperate the "typicals" from the "nontypicals" into different categories, this would solve that problem I think.  What a great concept.  I don't trust tape measurements as much as I would displacement in water, which is more accurate than a human with a tailor's tape in hand.  As for the buck, wow, what a whopper.  I archery hunted a few miles from this place last year and this week I will be in the area a well.  Whew, get's my blood pumping.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:52 am

Schlupis, The current world record typical for archery is Mel Johnsons buck taken in Peoria County Illinios in 1965 it scores 204 and 4/8's.
The WI state record is Barry Roses buck taken in Dunn County, in 2006 it scores 187 and 2/8's
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

2Lung1

Postby 2Lung1 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:32 am

That is one awsome rack!!  Check this one out.  I got him on cam pix and have only seen him once since opening day in Ohio

CoG

Postby CoG » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:59 pm

This buck is amazing, period.  My guess is it won't beat Milo's deer because of the deductions, but overall the character and mass are just phenomenal and it's going to score very, very high.  I'm so happy it was killed by a hunter who sounds like a good guy and will be a positive ambassador for our hobby/sport/passion!  The Field and Stream video is some damn special footage.

2Lung1,
That's a bruiser!!  Good luck with him!
-Benny

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:33 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

Schlupis, The current world record typical for archery is Mel Johnsons buck taken in Peoria County Illinios in 1965 it scores 204 and 4/8's.
The WI state record is Barry Roses buck taken in Dunn County, in 2006 it scores 187 and 2/8's

That buck that Barry Rose shot is quite the deer as well...And a great story behind it.  I have actually met him a few times and played ball with his kids.  Very nice guy!  This deer was shot again not too far from the field and stream buck (w/in an hour I would say).

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News