North Dakota Ranchers Support Ban on Hunting Rights Sale

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Corey Graff

North Dakota Ranchers Support Ban on Hunting Rights Sale

Postby Corey Graff » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:44 am

ND ranchers support ban on hunting rights sale

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) - Property rights advocates are squaring off with sportsmen and ranchers as the state Legislature decides whether to extend a ban on selling the right to hunt on property separately from the land itself.

The ban - the only one of its kind in the nation - has support from the group that represents the state's beef cattle industry, the North Dakota Stockmen's Association, but its foes predict more opposition as people learn more about it.

"I don't think it's a legislator's business to determine what somebody should be or shouldn't be able to do with their land," said Rep. Duane DeKrey.

Last year, the Legislature overwhelmingly voted to bar landowners from permanently selling the right to hunt on their property without selling the land itself along with it.

The restrictions expire June 30. The Legislature's interim Natural Resources Committee, which has been studying the issue during the past year, has recommended making them permanent.

North Dakota law allows landowners to sell other property rights separately, including the right to mine coal, graze livestock, pump water and explore for oil.

In western North Dakota, separate sales of mineral rights have created circumstances where landowners have to tolerate disruption caused by oil drilling, while someone else collects royalties from oil production.

The legislation does not prevent landowners from leasing temporary hunting rights to others, and a North Dakota Game and Fish Department program that pays landowners to allow hunters access to their property is exempt from its provisions.

A permanent sale of the right to hunt a parcel of land "affects every future landowner of that particular piece of property from then on. It really strips your ownership rights," said Rep. Chuck Damschen, who supports the ban.

Source: Associated Press

hunter480

RE: North Dakota Ranchers Support Ban on Hunting Rights Sale

Postby hunter480 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:26 am

A lot of fuss about nothing. Not sure what the intent of the measure is.....the land owner can sell temporary hunting rights, but not permanent, big deal.

I`d like to see even temporary hunting rights be made unlawful to sell. That would cut the legs out from under the leasing agents who are quickly turning hunting into a rich mans, or a corporations game.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:28 am

if a man owns property its up to HIM what he does with it not the government.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:11 pm

I agree with the ban. Permanant rights would be bad. It would be there forever, like herpes.  What if you were the next guy to come along and want to buy that property only to find out that you could not hunt on it. Any rights given should end when the land is sold unless there is an agreement before the transaction.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:44 pm

ORIGINAL: howhill1

if a man owns property its up to HIM what he does with it not the government.

The State can come thru and trim their trees if they might interfere with power lines.....they can zone property......there are many instances of the greater good overriding the individule right. It`s nothing new at all.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:10 am

theres a huge difference in trimming trees from power lines and being told whether or not or who to or why you can lease your land.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:45 am

This is the first I've heard of selling or leasing the permanant hunting rights. Reminds me of a guy near where I hunt, bought a chunk a ground where the mineral rights had been sold.  Now his house sits in the middle of a huge gravel pit.  Nothing he could do but watch them dig up and haul off his ground. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:11 am

I suppose it depends on the property type, but to me it would seem to make the property less desirable if the hunting rights to it have been sold.  I certainly wouldn't look at buying a piece of property if I couldn't hunt it and someone else could.  Seems to me landowners who would do this would be shooting themselves in the foot. 

I say it should be left to the individual what to do with their property, if they want to sell the hunting rights, fine, just don't come crying 10 years later when you can't sell the property because nobody wants it if they can't hunt it, and the guy who owns the hunting rights has no incentive to buy the land.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:06 am

Want to hunt land that someone else has the rights to hunt, simple don't buy the land if ya can't hunt it...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

Return to Breaking News