Bow-hunters Tapped for Urban Deer Control

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Corey Graff

Bow-hunters Tapped for Urban Deer Control

Postby Corey Graff » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:11 am

The Police Department in Fargo, N.D., is planning to conduct training and certification for a city deer management program which utilizes trained archery hunters to manage the urban deer herd within the city limits of Fargo.

Training is scheduled for July 23 to 25 from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Participants must attend one session of training and pass a proficiency test to be eligible to apply for a special archery permit from the North Dakota Game and Fish Department.

The training is conducted by the Fargo Police Department, Fargo Park District, North Dakota Game and Fish Department and the North Dakota Bowhunters Association.

OHhunter

RE: Bow-hunters Tapped for Urban Deer Control

Postby OHhunter » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:43 am

There going to do  about the same thing here in Chillicothe, OH.  I'm not sure on all the specifics, but I believe you have to pass an archery proficiency test, have you name address and telephone number on your arrows, hunt from a treestand, hunt on green space larger than five acres, it's earn a buck ( you must shoot and tag in a doe before a buck is legal).  City residents are finally getting tired of deer destroying there property and hitting they're cars. 

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:00 pm

Much better than paying sharpshooters to come in to thin the herd.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:48 pm

Absolutely, I like the earn a buck concept, hopefully it will get more hunters interested.  It's hard to get some folks interested when they know they can't kill a buck.  Plus it puts an emphasis on killing does.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:29 pm

this is the wave of the future.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:58 pm

ORIGINAL: JOEL

this is the wave of the future.

I'm kinda in a dilema here, wether to hunt in town or not.  I don't know how I will take hunting with kids, dogs and automobiles all around. I guess I don't know until I try right.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:53 am

its a different type of hunt.you can still go a fullfill your wanderlust in the deep woods or Mt tops.But we must provide this valuable service to help promote archery and hunting as a  safe means to help with deer over populations in certain areas.I know a lot of people will grant access faster if your only bow hunting
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

FlDeerman

Postby FlDeerman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:56 pm

I've hunted in a near city enviroment,once you get used to the noise and understand it can be a help, it get's fun.

bowhuntersrave

Postby bowhuntersrave » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:16 pm

Urban bowhunting can be fun and is a good way to hone your skills. Urban deer are used to the noises made by cars, busses, dogs and all us humans. There are some pretty good size deer in urban areas. I have seen some real good bucks in the middle of westbook, maine that would make boone & crocket. But remember urbanites do not like us killing the deer, thus most property is off limits to no trespassing.
www.bowhuntersrave.com
Preserving our bowhunting heritage

Mathews/Bowtech Raffle enter today

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:55 pm

Urbanites are funny like that.  They dont want you to kill a deer, but are the first to complain when some hundred dollar shrub in their yard gets browsed down to the ground.

Next

Return to Breaking News