Bow-hunters Tapped for Urban Deer Control

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
JOEL

RE: Bow-hunters Tapped for Urban Deer Control

Postby JOEL » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:29 am

ORIGINAL: danesdad

Urbanites are funny like that.  They dont want you to kill a deer, but are the first to complain when some hundred dollar shrub in their yard gets browsed down to the ground.
thats the truth but when you hear someone complaining thats the time to ask for permission
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:33 pm

I'd have no problem hunting urban area, just look at what D Luwinski shot with her bow. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:39 pm

Hey OHhunter- Where can I find out more on this Chillicothe urban hunt?  Might just be into trying it out.  Thanks, Pan

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:52 pm

Urban hunting sounds great. It also gives the average guy close access hunting. They may have to knock on more doors, but the access is there. My wifes cousin has a lawn mowing business. The average woods that he hunts is 1-5 acres. He says that he has to be very selective with the shot, but shouldn't we all. He routinely gets deer that are over 120". Not bad for the burbs.
From those who much is given, much is expected

Hatchetman

Postby Hatchetman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:49 am

I think that the same who complained about the deer as an annoyance, eating hostas and schrubbery down should be the first to offer their property to a hunter. I like it when people back up what they say with action. In Chillicothe Ohio, if I could draw a map, the deer, for the most part, bed down just over the hill on Mead property and some private properties. Thats where the permission should be obtained also and maybe perks given to the property owner who has 500 acres bordering the city. To get at most of the deer that roam the city's edge, this is where they should concentrate the hunting. I know two of the particular property owners and they are staedfast no one encroaches their property, if even the first 100 yards.
Wait for your special deer, not just any ole deer. If you are gonna take a life, it might as well be the one you want, even if you go season without one.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:03 am

Not sure if they still do it but they did that in Irondoquoit . They used to to hire off duty law inforcement officers and paid them an hourly wage . Now they have a lottery and pick certified archers to hunt the deer and save several thousand dollars . There are special hours and each hunter is assigned to a specific property . It is well managed and gets the herd culled .

ILBowhunter

Postby ILBowhunter » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:18 am

As hunters, we all tend to claim that our efforts provide for management of the deer herd, ultimately benefiting deer, other animal species, etc.  In this case, the managment is of a herd within the city limits, and participating as a hunter certainly would not be as enjoyable as spending the time in a more remote location, without traffic noise, disgruntled residents, etc.  But, it seems that the majority of the population will understand that this is a public service not unlike volunteering at a food pantry, or helping to clean up a city park.  So, I hope the Fargo-area bowhunters turn out for the training and assist in this effort.  I believe it only will add to the image of hunters in the eyes of a significant portion of the population.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:02 pm

I would jump at the opportunity to do this.here's a great example of deer management.I hunt a state park that allows hunting always has,there are plenty of deer and a wide variety of plant life and a complete understory.The deer are all healthy and some good size bucks and black bear come out of it every year.right across the highway in the same town is another state park that does not allow hunting.the landscape is devoid of an understory just mature trees .the deer are all scrawny and you can see their ribs,the are living on the the grass on the side of the road,deer/car collisions are rampant.Which is better?
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:53 am

ORIGINAL: Panman1949

Hey OHhunter- Where can I find out more on this Chillicothe urban hunt?  Might just be into trying it out.  Thanks, Pan

I haven't checked into it to much, I'd give ODW a call or email. 

psefirex

Postby psefirex » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:25 pm

i think its a great idea, any area that can do this to manage a large heard, and involve the hunters to thin it down, they have my vote

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News