ATA Works to Preserve Bowhunting in N.C.

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Corey Graff

ATA Works to Preserve Bowhunting in N.C.

Postby Corey Graff » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:33 am

The ATA is working with its members in North Carolina to address a proposed
deer-season format that would effectively eliminate the state's archery and
muzzleloading seasons.

Mitch King, ATA's director of government affairs, and Emily Beach, ATA's
education and research manager, met in August to discuss the proposed
deer-season consolidation with ATA's North Carolina members, the North
Carolina Bowhunters Association, and the director of North Carolina's
Wildlife Resources Commission.

The Commission is considering a proposal in which rifles could be used
statewide during the entire four-month deer season, which opens in early
September and closes January 1. The existing deer-season format includes
early archery and muzzleloader seasons. Under the controversial proposal,
these special seasons would become all-in-one "weapon of choice" seasons in
which rifles are legal.

The reason for this proposal? The Commission is studying all possible
options to reduce the state's burgeoning deer population. The overly
abundant herd is causing extensive damage by eating crops, plants and trees,
and colliding with cars and trucks.

North Carolina's ATA members contacted the ATA to help fight the proposed
deer-season plan. King assured bowhunters and ATA members that the archery
industry has serious misgivings about the Commission's proposal. On behalf
of North Carolina's ATA members, ATA staff wrote a comprehensive letter of
concern that suggested several alternatives for the Commission to consider.

dtrain56

RE: ATA Works to Preserve Bowhunting in N.C.

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:14 pm

At least they want hunters to kill the deer, in Ohio they revert to snipers during the winter...that sucks...what does it matter if you want to hunt with a bow then hunt with a bow if you want to use a gun then so be it...

they need to reduce the herd maybe have it as a three year temporary solution or what ever

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:22 pm

Welcome to white-tail hunting 2008.

In a world of B&C, P&Y bucks, sharp-shooters being paid to thin herds, leasing agents changing the landscape as we know it, it`s no surprise that a Game Commision would resort to this. Understand, lost crops, insurance companies paying out "excessive" claims due to vehicle-deer collisions, business wins every time.

Don`t know what the future holds for these poor hunters, but this should be a hard lesson for all of us...kill does, lot`s of `em. Do what your local Game Departments want to reduce the herd, or they`ll find other ways to get it accomplished.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:37 pm

I think a better solution would be to just make the rifle season a week or so longer and keep the archery season and muzzloader seasons...Maybe give the hunters when they buy their license a buck tag and two doe tags like WI...I think they will lose some hunters by doing this.....

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:44 am

those deer are gonna be spooked fast
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:10 am

increase the # of does that can be harvested like here in tn we can take 3 does per day if we want to from the last weekend in sept till the 2nd week of jan thats a lot of deer (*only 3 bucks per year*)
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:15 am

When i hunted in North Carolina _ almost a decade ago you could kill a buck and six doe yesix doe, they gave you all the tags when you purchased a license...

expanding the gun season one week or giving two doe tags would do niothing...

unfortenatly hunter480 is right..they game commision will do what ever it takes to reduce herd numbers...

the Game commision should implement "earn a buck" program there..that would help and maybe instead of one doe you have to kill two or three doe to earn your buck

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:58 pm

If this any weapon season is enacted, the doors will be wide open for other state DNR's to do the same. If this happens here in IL, I'm not bowhunting anymore. I might even give up firearms season to teach the DNR a lesson, about hunter envolvement. What is the use bowhunting, if everyone else in the woods is using guns? I'm just not that dedicated to compete with gun hunters with my bow. Also, we can already shoot as many doe's with our bows as we want in IL, it just doesn't put a dent in the doe herd from what I've seen. I'm agreeing with schlupis, I think the state will lose so me bowhunters that are upset with the DNR at the very least. Why dosn't the N.  Carolina, DNR allow hunting on Sunday instead of giving the shaft to the bowhunters? [:@]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:23 am

First I think we need to remember that "considering" is a long ways from enacting, so this might not be anything more than a discovery discussion. That being said, if such a season were to go into effect I think such a move would be too bad and I hope other states would not choose to follow.  Personally I don't want to be bowhunting in the same woods (wearing camo) with people shooting rifles.  Not just for safety reasons but also because the deer will be much more spooky. 

Sad to think that North Carolina might choose to view hunting as a deer management tool as opposed to the outdoor sporting activity it should be.  And yes I realize all states view hunting as a management tool to some extent, but I also believe that many choose to take into account hunter satisfaction and enjoyment as well when making decisions.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to Breaking News