making wisconsin a deer lottery state

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
JPH

RE: making wisconsin a deer lottery state

Postby JPH » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:29 am

ORIGINAL: schlupis

JPH, Mess away there is no shortage of deer here apparantly..LOL. So you gonna come up here and help us get are deer herd in check, I"ll buy ya beer for the help.....

good luck to you this year let me know how you do...When did you get the buck in your pic and what did it score.....

Man, I'd love to see/hunt some of that Wisconson deer country, but as a blue collar guy I cannot afford the travel/hunting I do as it is! However, I do like the idea of being hired out as a pro hunter that shoots does for beer. I need to explore that idea!

The buck in my avatar was a 161", 15 pointer. I was blessed with him on Nov. 3 (St. Hubert's feast day) last year, in Cent. Iowa. Maybe the best hunt of my life (excluding hunts with my wife or kids). He was looking to rip my decoy to shreds inside of 15 yds. I had to draw and let down twice before taking the shot.

I have yet to take a buck in Missouri. Here's hoping.

I've enjoied the conversation and I think we both have a little better understanding of what it's like on the other side now.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:28 am

Well good luck to you in Missouri I will hopefully crack another wis buck, this year it appears I drew a tag here again..LOL..  Good luck let me know how you do in Missouri and Iowa I believe Iowa is where u live not sure to lazy to go back and look..

Peace out

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:34 am

I talked to some guys a few miles from us in 62b and they did not see much for deer either which I agree with you is unusual for that county but if you listen to the dnr there is a deer behind every tree which is why I go back to before with I like the earn a buck but disagree with the antlerless only hunts because I am not the only hunter to be seeing less deer since the antlerless only seasons have started.....

good luck to you this year hopefully this year you will get a crack at old mossy horns.

There you go listening to the DNR again... Tons of deer and we need more money... I think they are trying to create a buffer zone with the CWD. Waushara county seems to have the same problem with numbers. My step father saw 6 does or so last year in an earn a buck zone. The next 10 years will be interesting.

The nice side affect of an earn a buck zone is many of the little bucks get an extra year or two of growth. It is also an arguement against the lottery draw for non-residents who would come for bowhunting. The doe tag is only good for that year and the next year. If you draw a tag every 4 years, then you're out of luck. Who is going to spend $1,000 (tag, gas, food, lodging, etc...) for those odds? Like I said earlier, in TN i can shoot 3 does/day and 3 bucks per year.

From those who much is given, much is expected

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:32 pm

You sound like your happy with TN 3 does a day and 3 bucks a year.. I dont know if we would have any deer left in wi if we had that system..please clear up is that total or is that go for archery season and then 3 a day and 3 bucks with gun....

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:47 am

You sound like your happy with TN 3 does a day and 3 bucks a year.. I dont know if we would have any deer left in wi if we had that system..please clear up is that total or is that go for archery season and then 3 a day and 3 bucks with gun....

TN is a great place for the outdoors. The liberal limit is nice, but I limit myself to only take 1-2 deer per year. That is all that I can eat in 12 months, so no need to take more. I try to donate the first one to the local Hunters for the Hungry program. I would donate more, but it must be done by a precessor. The precessing fee is $60/deer. I was short on time one year and it was hot out so I took one in and let them do one for me. I had to re-wrap and trim everything.

The limit is 3 bucks in any season, but not more than 3 total per year. So, 3 in archery, but no more during gun or muzzleloader, or 1 in archery, 2 in gun, but no more. You can only tag one per day. The doe limit is 3/day in any season. Not all areas and licenses are like that, but that is what it is like in the county that I hunt and with a lifetiem sportsmans license. Some countys are more limited with the doe and buck harvest, and you only get 2 bucks and have to draw for a doe tag.

The WI DNR is already trying to get rid of deer in some areas and dramatically reduce the herd in others. Look at 62b. The are giving away quite a few bonus tags, but they aren't getting used.

From those who much is given, much is expected

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:52 pm

Dont even get me started on our dnr if it was up to them we would have no deer left in WI.. I just wonder how much of the extra seasons and unlimited doe tag system are brought on by insurance companies (ie car deer accidents).

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:08 pm

schlupis your right about our dnr and wanting all the deer gone.  Since cwd was found in southern wisconsin, deer hunting hasn't been the same.  They feel that killing all the deer will solve the problem.  Seriously does the dnr not think that diseases were around back in the early 1900's.  Other states have cwd and they have normal hunting seasons.  To me the dnr lost hunters because of this big cwd thing, and that intern meant less hunters to kill more deer.  

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:10 pm

I would have to agree with you on our DNR. It seems like they want to kill all the deer in Wisconsin. And their estimates of our deer numbers are way off I think. Also, they blew the whole CWD thing out of hand. I live in the CWD area and I am not worried about it. Deer can get it anywhere. In addition, here in the CWD area you can shoot at least 4 does and 4 bucks a day. It is crazy and out of hand.
Kyle

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:52 am

sounds like they are worried about the dairy cows and are afraid cwd will cross over
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:41 pm

I would like to see Wisconsin become a lottery state for non-residents like Iowa and Kansas and Illinois are, I think this would be good for our deer hunting...Nothing against non-residents but I am noticing that it is far more expensive and harder to get a tag in other states....Wisconsin is not even close to other states as far as cost to hunt for non-residence ball park 170 dollars... Bottom line I would like to see Wisconsin raise the price for Non-residents stop stickin it to the residents.....
 The lottery hasnt really helped here, because most hunters get drawed on anyway.  The state of IL. had a levie on the amount of non resident tags issued, but has allowed that limit to be raised again.  The state also raised the price for non-residents to hunt here , as well the dnr makes NR's tag a doe now. With the expanding doe herd numbers, due to all the outfitters, and NR's traveling here to harvest bucks, something had to be done. The dnr has also allowed a late winter antlerless only season for the last few years. That didn't produced the results needed to manage the over-populated doe herds in outfitted areas of the state. They are now debateing a additional firearms doe season in late October. Seems to me that the dnr has failed to control a problem they made. Atleast the state's resident hunters were harvesting more doe's, before the problem got worse. Only time will tell if the herd has been down- graded from the trophy status it was prized for produceing. The state of IA. on the other hand has micro managed the herd, and turned the ratio in their favor, without the intervention of the state DNR.  The state of MO. is implementing the 4 point rule law, to better thier ratio, which seems to be working. It's no wonder other states are harvesting as many trophy bucks as IL, due to the mis-management in this state's goverment. With NR's hunting in your state for large bucks, your doe herd is going to increase.    The DNR needs to step up to control the numbers of deer in outfitter areas. When I hunted in IA, as a NR, to be honest, I wanted a big IA buck.  I can fill my freezer at home for $7 dollars a doe. I couldn't imagine the problems IL, or IA would have with the doe herd size if there was no lottery.  I'd like to see the earn-a-buck program here personally, resident or not, hunters just don't care about QDM here. It's all about big bucks, and I see a big problem down the road, with the ever expanding doe herd.        
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News