making wisconsin a deer lottery state

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
schlupis

RE: making wisconsin a deer lottery state

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:12 pm

I know he is off limits thats why me as a bowhunter I dont like the early antlerless season because I dont want him to be off limits..

I think with the E-A-B system we can certainly keep our doe's in check.. I have seen real improvments in the deer on our land and buddies land in which I hunt with a good amount of does and bucks.

Past seasons I would only see does and maybe, maybe one small buck. Just stating in my disgruntaled opinion I dont like and dont think we need the early antlerless season. We already have E-A-B and a late antlerless season thats enough...

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:36 pm

If he is off limits, then use the time to scout him. He will most likely show you where his escape route is if he is getting pushed. Try a new spot that might be out of your comfort zone or go to stand. It's easier to do when he is off limits, since you aren't second guessing yourself for being in the wrong spot the entire time.

I don't think the late season doe harvest is as effective, since the motivation is all but gone.
From those who much is given, much is expected

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Iowa holds an antlerless season prior to the main gun season, but it is much later than yours. Our early antlerless spans the Thanksgiving weekend. There is still rutting behavior going on, but it is slowing down. We can still bow hunt bucks during this season but must wear blaze. The regular gun season then opens on the first Sat. in December.

I don't know what kind of numbers it produces, but I really like it.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:11 pm

You know I dont know the more I think about it if I dont like the antlerless seasons because they interupt with my sacred time BOWHUNTING meaning the early antlerless season. Or if I just plain dont think we need both of them. But then I think which one do I dislike least.

1st antlerless season interupts my bowhunting and I dont like that, but the does are not pregnant when the season is on and thats a plus. but if a doe is killed it is only one deer.

2nd antlerless season most all of the does are now pregnant and the possiblity of killing 3 deer is possible and that doesnt sit good with me so I dont ever hunt that season no matter if I need a doe to earn my buck for next year or not...

Maybe I wouldnt mind if there was only one antlerless season and it was early I wouldnt mind if bowseason started 1 week later for the antlerless season. Bowseason in WI starts early sept..

I still dont think we need two seasons plus E-A-B. but WI is not going to let go of the double antlerless seasons anytime soon...

I like E-A-B and think it is a great system but dont know if I will ever warm up to the antlerless only seasons.....Just seems like too many does being killed to me.

Now as I read over this post I like the idea if the state is going to keep the early antlerless season of having it the week before bowseason instead of during, I may just write a letter to the state see what happens.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:48 am

ORIGINAL: schlupis

...but the does are not pregnant when the season is on and thats a plus. but if a doe is killed it is only one deer...

...most all of the does are now pregnant and the possiblity of killing 3 deer is possible and that doesnt sit good with me so I dont ever hunt that season...

I don't get the problem with killing pregnant does. In a healthy herd, all adult does will be pregnant before the rut ends anyway. So weather you shoot one before or after the rut, you are still removing the doe and her potential offspring. That's the whole point behind the doe harvest.

The reduction in adult does is intended to bring the herd back to within the reasonable carrying capacity of the habitat. This makes for heavier fawns, that drop earlier in the year. More food, more cover and more overall success for the animal.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:29 pm

Good point, see it helps to have sombody throw the obvious in my face thanks.. But I still dont like the antlerless only season I think we can keep the herd in check (which I dont think is out of wack as the DNR says it is), with the E-A-B system.

Down with antlerless only seasons keep the E-A-B I think we are killing too many deer the way our seasons are set up right now.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:57 am

ORIGINAL: schlupis
.....I think we are killing too many deer the way our seasons are set up right now.

But hasn't the annual harvest been pretty consistent for several years? I don't believe the harvest has dropped any in recent years. I need to look up the statistics, but if the harvest is consistent or climbing, then wouldn't that be considered a sustainable harvest.

From those who much is given, much is expected

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:53 pm

I think they claim it is a record harvest every year.. But with the way it is set up right now tags are unlimited for antlerless deer, ($2.00 a tag) and in CWD kill doe get buck tag kill buck go kill another doe then buck so on and so on.

Personal opinion here I think at the rate we are killing deer in wi and the way the dnr wants us to keep killing deer the state will not be able to keep our deer herd very strong and healthy we are just killing too many deer.

just an example last year I talked to a few hunters in the bar not hunting partners of mine, and asked them how they did (me I killed 3 deer last year 1 doe 2 wallhangers), the first guy had killed 9 deer the other killed 16 deer what could one person do with all those deer and how much fun is it to kill that many deer, I asked their response was hey if the dnr is going to keep giving us tags I have plenty of ammo.. I just wonder how many others like these two there are. I have heard others say they are going to kill as many deer as possible because tags are so cheap. That crap pisses me off. Dont take more than you need.

That I guess is my problem with the unlimited antlerless tags and the season. If they could limit the tags maybe I would be more responsive to it or change the time of the season.

Previous

Return to Breaking News