Michigan offers early antlerless rifle season

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Sailfish

Michigan offers early antlerless rifle season

Postby Sailfish » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:47 am

I heard that MI is having an early antlerless firearm season this year (September 18th -22nd)
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_38954_38957-197505--,00.html

I am not too familiar on how often this has happened in MI; this year it is before opening day for archery.

I wonder if this alters the deer patterns? Or if it will have any affect at all.
It will be interesting to read the archery reports in the DDH MI section.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

JOEL

RE: Michigan offers early antlerless rifle season

Postby JOEL » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:50 am

my guess is its gonna put the deer on high alert for the rest of the year
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:25 am

Its the first time I've ever heard of this in Michigan. One problem here and I'm sure in other states, Urban development. We keep loosing land and the deer have no place to go. I'm glad its on private land only, if we must have this hunt. The deer on state land will only be on there normal spooked state, and not super noctural spooked.

Its most likely more a money thing (sell more lic). Keep laying off DNR officers and spend the money on useless "activities". But hey things could be worse.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:33 am

I dont like the idea myself.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:12 pm

If they allow more antlerless hunting, they are probably trying to lower the population.  Are they doing this in specific areas or statewide?  In PA, antlerless hunting is more liberal in places where the game commission wants to lower the population (in cities and residential areas where deer-human conflict is high).

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:06 am

A couple of years ago I read somewhere that deer tend to revert back to their original patterns once pressure is off.  I think the study was done with people using dogs to hunt an area or some such thing, then checking deer patterns using radio collars on deer. 

If the study is correct, the early Michigan gun season probably won't change deer patterns much if at all.  Best of luck.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:22 am

Its in all of southern Michigan and in the TB zone. Most guys I talk to aren't even gonna try to get out.

Return to Breaking News