Six Bagged in Deer Poaching Spree

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Corey Graff

Six Bagged in Deer Poaching Spree

Postby Corey Graff » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:42 am

August 20, 2008
Waterbury, Vermont -- Game wardens say six people face charges, and more arrests are possible, following a deer poaching spree in Addison County.

Wardens charged 20-year-old Justin Billings, 22-year-old George Devoid, 20-year-old Nathan Dearing, and an unnamed 17-year-old with illegally shooting five deer earlier this month. They could face $1,000 fines and 60 days in jail for each deer, and lose their right to hunt in Vermont for three years.

Two other men face charges for possessing illegal deer meat.

Source: WCAX News

EatDeer

RE: Six Bagged in Deer Poaching Spree

Postby EatDeer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:56 am

That is a pretty expensive way to get some deer meat! Hopefully those kids will learn a valuable lesson, and dont commit the same crimes again. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:13 am

I think they got off light. 1) probably a learned activity 2) they wil almost certainly do it again. They are not hunters and in my opinion have no future right to participate.  If you NEED the meat, that is one thing. I don't see how you need that many with season around the corner.  

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:17 am

its sad to see this happen.. its sad to see younths do things like this as well. you got your whole life infront of you now you just mesed it up. I believe they got off easy as well, I think anyone who gets busted poaching needs to be taught a lesson and never be able to hunt again + jail time and fines. Just sad that these deer never had a chance
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:16 am

I guess I live in the past to much, nowdays they should have been fined double what a outfitter would have charged them for the deer. I think the problem with the lesser punishments, is that judges do not take hunting crimes as serious as when people break other laws.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:03 am

they got off light I have heard of people filling other peoples tags get more of a punishment than these guys for killing deer out of season.what a joke.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:18 am

Give'em a fair trial and then hang them !     my .02 $

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:33 pm

I am an ex-cop and think that ANY law violation with a weapon should be treated the same.  A crime such as robbery has a gun specification of 3 years minimum in Ohio, but a hunting violation has a lesser degree.  It was a gun, right?  Anyone see it different?  I hate poachers!!!!!!

Return to Breaking News