Tree Stand Safety Alert

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Corey Graff

Tree Stand Safety Alert

Postby Corey Graff » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:29 am

FORT SMITH, Arkansas – The National Bowhunter Education Foundation
(NBEF) has issued a tree stand safety alert. The alert identifies tree stands as a major source of hunting injuries and deaths in this country.

The alert also reports that tree stand related fatalities and accidents out number firearm related hunter fatalities. The alert is part of the NBEF's Project STAND (Stop Tree Stand Accidents ‘n Deaths) a massive communications effort designed to reduce tree stand accidents.

According to the NBEF, tree stand mishaps are occurring on an all too
regular basis. Studies report the accident rate being as high as 1 in 3 with the probability of a near miss (incident) being much higher. Hunters are being seriously injured or killed, families are devastated and the image of hunting is tarnished.

Marilyn Bentz, Executive Director of the NBEF reports "It's impossible to find a hunter who hasn't heard of a fellow hunter who has fallen while using a tree stand. Thousands of accidents occur each year with many resulting in serious injury and even death.

Hunters need to start taking tree stand safety as seriously as they take firearms safety.

A tree stand hung 20 feet in the air should be treated like a loaded gun because it is every bit as dangerous. When hunters start treating their tree stand set-ups with the same caution they do a loaded firearm these accidents and deaths will start to go away.

We can't make progress with hunters believing "it can't happen to me".
The growth and popularity of hunting from elevated stands has increased tremendously.

Millions are purchased each year. No longer a couple of 2 x 4's nailed up in a tree, or a rickety metal platform, most modern tree stands are virtual feats of engineering prowess. They are made of space age materials and loaded with features and benefits.

They are designed with safety in mind and now come with a safety harness, printed safety instructions, and safety DVDs. Millions are purchased each year with most hunters using multiple stands.

Why the high accident and death rate? According to the NBEF, "Every hunter in America knows that they should wear a fall restraint device yet only about 50% do. Fewer use them when climbing (when accidents are most likely to occur) and getting in and out of their stands. Unfortunately, many hunters believe it will always be the other guy who falls and it will never happen to them.

Fact is, if this is how they approach tree stand safety it WILL happen to them. Most accidents could be prevented if hunters would just use the safety gear and instructions provided with the tree stand product. Hunting from elevated stands is universally practiced by hunters and is typically viewed as the most effective method of harvesting big game like white-tailed deer.

The NBEF pioneered tree stand safety education and is credited for popularizing elevated stand hunting by exposing millions of hunters to safe tree stand hunting practices. Project STAND will refocus hunters on proper tree stand hunting practices and increase hunter participation with their "HUNT SMART---HUNT SAFE" educational outreach program which will launch nationally in 2008.

Project STAND is being led by the National Bowhunter Education Foundation with support from the hunting industry, state, and federal wildlife agencies, medical organizations and first responders.

For more information on how you can contribute to the Project STAND campaign or to order a Safe Treestand Hunting Strategies DVD, contact Marilyn Bentz, NBEF Executive Director at mbentz@nbef.org or 479-649-9036.

hunter480

RE: Tree Stand Safety Alert

Postby hunter480 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:39 am

Take heed. I`ve fallen.....from a ladder stand, while climbing up, no less.

I still believe that ladder stands are the safest stand available, but stuff still can happen. I have limited feeling, and mobility from my left hand as a result of my fall.. I was lucky that was the worst of my injuries.

Be safe out there.

onthegroundoutdoors

Postby onthegroundoutdoors » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:45 am

i have fallen as well, from a ladder stand. it was stupid and my fault, should have ahd a restraint system...did not. ended up with a compression fracture and a back brace for 6 weeks....that was 14 years ago, i still hunt hard, but have killed alot of deer from the ground. do not leave the truck without a safety system!

be careful

Jeff Barwick
www.onthegroundoutdoors.blogspot.com
onthegroundoutdoors@gmail.com

Check out our outdoor blog NOW. sign up and get the most current posts, instantly.

Corey Graff

Postby Corey Graff » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:29 am

[font=ttff26d0c8t00][left][font=arial][size=2]PROJECT STAND ANNOUNCES TRAINING OF 200+ TREE STAND[/font][/left][left][font=arial]SAFETY EXPERTS[/font][/left][left][font=arial][/font] [/left][/size][/font][font=ttff26d0c8t00][left]FORT SMITH, Arkansas – August 21, 2008 [/font][font=ttff261e50t00]– Over 200 Tree Stand Safety Experts have been qualified to teach tree stand safety to hunter education instructors and other professional safety educators. [/font][/left][left][font=ttff261e50t00][/font] [/left][left][font=ttff261e50t00]These Experts have successfully completed an intensive eight hour course on tree stand safety and are now a part of the [/font][font=ttff261630t00]Project STAND [/font][font=ttff261e50t00](Stop Treestand Accidents ‘N Deaths) initiative.[/left][left] [/left][left]The course, approved by the National Bowhunter Education Foundation, covers all aspects of tree stand safety. It was designed to prepare an elite group of professional tree stand safety experts who train hunter educators, scout and 4-H leaders, outdoor communicators, first responders, retailers, manufacturers, outfitters, and other professionals interested in tree stand safety and accident prevention.[/left][left] [/left][left]"[/font][font=ttff261630t00]Project STAND's [/font][font=ttff261e50t00]Tree Stand Safety Experts are the best of the best when it comes to training", said Marilyn Bentz, Executive Director of the NBEF. "These guys really know their stuff and are a critical link to eliminating tree stand accidents. They are battle ready foot soldiers on a mission to eliminate tree stand accidents and deaths. They will accomplish this mission by training thousands of hunter educators and other professionals with an interest in tree stand safety.[/left][left] [/left][left]"Tree stand safety is a huge issue with more people being seriously injured and killed from tree stand accidents than from firearm accidents in the field. We can't ask every hunter in America to take an 8 hour course but we can develop a cadre' of highly trained dedicated experts to act as resource people to the vast network of hunter safety instructors across the nation," Bentz said.[/left][/font]

wordbird

Postby wordbird » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:52 pm

I posted this in a couple of other places on the board but would like all who will to read the account of my fall. I am alive today by the Grace of God.
http://www.tnhunting.com/stories/garrett/billyword.html

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:42 pm

I have read that one in three hunters will at some time fall from a treestand.  That thought alone keeps me using the Hunter Safety harness everytime I get into a stand.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:04 pm

as someone whos talking to you only because i was wearing my harness i can safely say they work but you have to wear them at all times and that includes going up the tree get a length of safety rope with a prussic hitch and use it.if you dont value your life think of your family im sure they do
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Return to Breaking News