Michigan Legalizes Albino Deer Harvest

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Corey Graff

Postby Corey Graff » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:02 am

Following incidents involving hunters mistaking albino deer for piebald deer -- incidents resulting in the prosecution of at least one hunter who killed such a deer -- the Michigan DNR is changing its policy on albinos.

But deer experts also point out that while albino deer are not "rampant" in Michigan, it is just a good management change because albinos are genetically inferior animals.

"They are protected in most states because they're "pretty," which doesn't make much sense," said one source.

The regulation on albino deer has caused confusion on both ends of the spectrum: One hunter became upset when he passed up a piebald buck he believed to be albino because the deer's brown spot wasn't noticed.

These episodes -- and many more which have occured in recent years -- have made enforcement of albino deer regulations difficult for all parties involved.

According to an Associated Press story, "Michigan wildlife officials are dropping a rule that bans hunting of albino deer, a move aimed at eliminating confusion over which animals are off limits. It's among the deer hunting changes approved Thursday by the state's Natural Resources Commission."

silbowhunter

RE: Michigan Legalizes Albino Deer Harvest

Postby silbowhunter » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:05 am

According to an Associated Press story, "Michigan wildlife officials are dropping a rule that bans hunting of albino deer, a move aimed at eliminating confusion over which animals are off limits.

That doesn't sound like a legitimite reason to EDIT not stop but start the hunting of albino deer.
Pretty simple IMO if its actually a albino and not just a white deer it's off limits (in Mi. any way).
They could have went the same way as some other states, albino & white deer are off limits but pieblad can be hunted.

Not to stir the pot but the deer picture that is with the article isn't a white or albino deer its piebald but I'm sure most are aware of that.

george liotta

Postby george liotta » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:41 am

IMHO if shooting a piebald and/or white (Albino) deer is your thing then I think the sport of hunting has found a new low.  There are plenty of other deer out there that one should not find it necessary to harvest something so rare in nature. 

f250tfp

Postby f250tfp » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:19 pm

I am not a Michigan resident, but feel they are making a mistake.  While bowhunting when I was sixteen, I happened upon an albino doe.  Even at a young age I realized the rarity of the moment, so I just watched her until she moved on.  I hoped that more people (hunters and nonhunters) would have the same experience, and soon there were more reports around town of people observing the deer.

About a month later, someone shot the doe.  Even though he never admitted to it, most people in town knew the shooter's identity.  American Indians maintain bad luck will come to whoever kills an albino deer.  Within a year, the shooter died in a car accident.  His wife gave away the doe's hide.  True story!  Do you feel lucky michigan?

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Why would they protect genetically inferior animals?  An albino is a rare trophy, but it is rare because it isn't well adapted to survive.  I've never seen one in the wild, but if I did, I'd shoot it if I got the opportunity.

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:46 am

I feel that there should be no special restrictions on albino deer.  Many of you mention that these deer are too "rare" or "pretty" to be shot.  These labels can be placed on many other deer as well, most of which i am sure no one would argue for their protection.  Drop tines, palmations, multi-main beams, etc. are all very rare and desired characteristics, but not protected.
Then you have the confusion factor.  It is very easy to categorically say no harvest of albino deer.  But where do we draw the line for what we consider 'albino?'  One, a deer can be all white and still not be 'albino.'  I raise whitetail deer and currently have such a deer.  The hide is all white, but he does have pigment in his eyes.  This gives him the title of 'white' deer, but not a true albino, as albinos have no pigment anywhere.  Also, sometimes his tarsal glands are stained very dark.  If he was a true 'albino' and i saw these spots, does he now qualify as piebald?
Let's eliminate the terminology for a second and consider 'white' and 'albino' to be interchangeable.  This would mean my 'white' deer is now protected in most people's eyes.  The question now becomes how much brown is necessary for the deer to now be considered 'piebald?'  Consider the stained tarsal glands above, extreme, maybe.  But when all a guy is looking for is a brown spot on a white deer, seems like an honest mistake in the making.  Do we have to make a % of brown rule?  wow, that becomes ugly in a hurry, for example...
I also have a doe who has more white around her legs and belly than any of my other deer, but not a deer i would consider to be piebald.  Where do you draw the line?  Are we soon to be expected to judge % of white on a deer?  Add this to state mandated antler restrictions or personal QDM practices and field judging becomes a nightmare.
Finally, white deer are in deed inferior animals.  There is a reason that such a small percentage have survived evolution.  In the QDM days of deer hunting, it is hard to justify protection for the 'inferior' animals we are trying to eliminate.  Important: Don't confuse 'inferior' with 'desireable.'  Just because many of us would love to shoot an albino, doesn't mean having many of them around is what is best for the deer population.
Don't get me wrong, i enjoy seeing albino, white, piebald deer as much as the next guy.  I got a beautiful piebald buck on film last year in Southern PA and was sick to my stomach when i found out someone else had wounded the deer in archery season.  And no, i wasn't sick because the animal itself was removed from the population, i was sick because it wasn't me that loosed the arrow (i wouldn't have missed either :-) )
Can't shoot 'em from the couch!

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:23 pm

I agree with you, allthings.  I'd LOVE a crack at an albino or piebald deer!

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:37 am

Greetings from Michigan,

I remember reading about this last year. I also agree with Allthings and danesdad.
I see nothing wrong with taking any deer. As long as you eat what you kill. Hunting is hunting, we kill an animal and take home the meat for our familys.
This isn't fishing where you can just throw them back and catch em again lol. Pass or shoot; a hunters dilemma.

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:09 am

ORIGINAL: allthingshunting

I feel that there should be no special restrictions on albino deer.  Many of you mention that these deer are too "rare" or "pretty" to be shot.  These labels can be placed on many other deer as well, most of which i am sure no one would argue for their protection.  Drop tines, palmations, multi-main beams, etc. are all very rare and desired characteristics, but not protected. I agree[:)]
Then you have the confusion factor.  It is very easy to categorically say no harvest of albino deer.  But where do we draw the line for what we consider 'albino?'  One, a deer can be all white and still not be 'albino.'  I raise whitetail deer and currently have such a deer.  The hide is all white, but he does have pigment in his eyes.  This gives him the title of 'white' deer, but not a true albino, as albinos have no pigment anywhere.  Also, sometimes his tarsal glands are stained very dark.  If he was a true 'albino' and i saw these spots, does he now qualify as piebald?
Let's eliminate the terminology for a second and consider 'white' and 'albino' to be interchangeable.  This would mean my 'white' deer is now protected in most people's eyes.  The question now becomes how much brown is necessary for the deer to now be considered 'piebald?'  Consider the stained tarsal glands above, extreme, maybe.  But when all a guy is looking for is a brown spot on a white deer, seems like an honest mistake in the making.  Do we have to make a % of brown rule?  wow, that becomes ugly in a hurry, for example...
I also have a doe who has more white around her legs and belly than any of my other deer, but not a deer i would consider to be piebald.  Where do you draw the line?  Are we soon to be expected to judge % of white on a deer?  Add this to state mandated antler restrictions or personal QDM practices and field judging becomes a nightmare.
Finally, white deer are in deed inferior animals.  There is a reason that such a small percentage have survived evolution.  In the QDM days of deer hunting, it is hard to justify protection for the 'inferior' animals we are trying to eliminate.  Important: Don't confuse 'inferior' with 'desireable.'  Just because many of us would love to shoot an albino, doesn't mean having many of them around is what is best for the deer population.
Don't get me wrong, i enjoy seeing albino, white, piebald deer as much as the next guy.  I got a beautiful piebald buck on film last year in Southern PA and was sick to my stomach when i found out someone else had wounded the deer in archery season.  And no, i wasn't sick because the animal itself was removed from the population, i was sick because it wasn't me that loosed the arrow (i wouldn't have missed either :-) )
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:12 am

ORIGINAL: allthingshunting

I feel that there should be no special restrictions on albino deer.  Many of you mention that these deer are too "rare" or "pretty" to be shot.  These labels can be placed on many other deer as well, most of which i am sure no one would argue for their protection.  Drop tines, palmations, multi-main beams, etc. are all very rare and desired characteristics, but not protected.
  Lets see if i can get this right this time . I agree with this quote
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

Next

Return to Breaking News