Michigan Legalizes Albino Deer Harvest

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
EatDeer

RE: Michigan Legalizes Albino Deer Harvest

Postby EatDeer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:29 am

The way I understand it, is that it takes two piebald deer to pass piebaldism to the off spring. So really they aren't hurting the herd as much as one is led to belive. In fact I've herd of piebald doe's giving birth to bucks that grew into regular trophy bucks. Personaly I think that if your lucky enough to see a white deer, you should be able to harvest it as a trophy deer of a life time, same goes for black deer.  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

treeshot

Postby treeshot » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:49 am

[8D]It is about time, we can now shoot these inferior genes equipped deer. i would love to see one trying to hide from our upper peninsula wolves ,and on another side Walt Disneys already got people thinking there are human emotions in the wild ,survival of the fittest is the law of the land. Letting an albino walk makes no sense and is not in herds best intrest.I am sure the backstraps would still be delicous!
scotgreen

treeshot

Postby treeshot » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:56 am

[8D]IT ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE YOU BELIEVE IN THE EASTER BUNNY TOO.AS RARE AS THEY ARE THEY ARE STLL GENETICALLY INFERIOR AND NOT GOOD FOR REBREEDING AND THE HUNTER WHO HARVESTS IT COULD CONSIDER HIMSELF LUCKY OR NOT AS ITS STILL JUST A DEER AND NOT TO BE PRAYED TO OR AFRAID THAT IT WILL CAUSE YOU BAD LUCK.sKIN IT AND EAT THE BACKSTRAPS TO BE SURE IT WAS MEANT TO BE EATEN.

ILBowhunter

Postby ILBowhunter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:25 am

I too am unsure of why various states ever decided it was a good thing to protect albino deer.  The white coat as well as differences in pigmentation of their eyes and other aspects of their physiology would seem to make them easy prey, and I suspect that most succumb while quite young.

HOWEVER...  if they are so inferior how is it that some live through their first year and beyond?  Might it be that some albino deer are unusually cunning, or have other qualities that allow them to avoid normal predation?  This is not to say that the gene for albinism is connected to any factors that enhance the survivability of certain albino deer, but merely to say that if one can survive to 1.5, 2.5, or 3.5 years despite being albino, then perhaps they have some other genetic qualities that are valuable.

Besides, given the nature of the genetics of albinism, most of them result from the mating of a buck and a doe with normal coats, and killing all the albinos would do little to reduce the number of them in a population.

ILBowhunter

Postby ILBowhunter » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:31 am

Do you actually believe that shooting the albino doe was connected to the accident?  I bet there has been someone who killed an albino deer and then won the millions of $$$$ in the lottery. 

Previous

Return to Breaking News